PDA

View Full Version : Google Profile, Get Your Google Profile

vangogh
04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Ever searched Google for your name (I know you have) and didn't like what you found? Google lets you set up your own profile (http://searchengineland.com/google-profile-results-launched-17865). The link will take you to a Search Engine Land post with more details.

If you have an account for some Google services (and who doesn't at this point) you already have a profile. The news here is really that Google is planning on promoting profiles more on search results pages.

And while you likely have a profile page already, my guess is you haven't done much to set it up with information about yourself. Now that Google will be promoting them more it's probably a good idea to fill out your profile better and think about the branding impact. You also need to fill out more info beyond the basics in order or your profile to be eligible to show in Google's people search.

Harold Mansfield
04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
That's pretty nice, I'm gonna check it out right after lunch. Nice Tip !

vangogh
04-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Glad you like. And like I said I'm sure you have the profile already. You'll just need to add more info to it.

Dan Furman
04-23-2009, 02:57 AM
Neat. I just checked mine - and there I am, picture and all. Coolness.

vangogh
04-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Thought this info would come in handy.

nighthawk
04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Great - yet another profile page on the internet! Between all the various forums I visit and all the social network sites, I have quite a few profiles already! Keeping them up to date is almost a full time job!

vangogh
04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
This one has the easy potential of ranking for your name and you'll probably set it up once and forget about it.

KristineS
04-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I saw something about Google Profile recently when I was working with our company Adwords account. My problem is I have profiles for work and profiles for my personal life and they aren't the same. I suppose you could have multiple profiles, but I'm not sure you'd want to do that.

vangogh
04-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Your accounts will already have a profile. Each will use whatever email address you signed up with. The newness is that Google is now going to rank those profile pages. If you want to have greater control over the search results for your name then you'd want to fill out that profile.

Imagine the case where someone else writes a post about you and says something derogatory. Wouldn't you want to have a real profile ranking so people don't get the wrong impression of you based on what someone else said?

KristineS
04-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Good point. Guess I need to look in to creating my profiles.

vangogh
04-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Found this post about Google profiles (http://www.seomoz.org/blog/google-profile-search-rank-for-jennifer-lopez) at SEOmoz and thought I'd share.

The author of the post shares a name with one Jennifer Lopez. Think anyone would every find her when the searched for J-lo? They will now.

nighthawk
04-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I signed up for Google Profile shortly after you posted this topic - but I still dont see an entry for myself when I search - is google being clever and not showing myself when I search, or does it take a few weeks to appear?

vangogh
04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure how long it takes, but you do need to fill in a certain amount of the info on your profile before it will show up at all.