PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather

billbenson
01-26-2015, 05:00 PM
I don't know how you cold weather folks do it. I haven't seen snow since 1990. Went to a conference in Atlantic City for a seminar for a few days. 35 degrees, spitting rain windy, a little snow on the ground.

That blast of cold wind just about killed me. Granted that the hot July Florida days would probably kill some of you northerners :)

Never having been to Atlantic City I was expecting a small Vegas. It really seemed to be a place going downhill.

Freelancier
01-26-2015, 05:20 PM
I was in Keene, NH last week for two days. 12 degrees when I got there, 11 below the following morning, 9 the next day. It hurt just to walk out to the car.

I called my wife and asked "WTF is wrong with these people??"

Brian Altenhofel
01-26-2015, 05:54 PM
It was 30F this morning when I got up and got my morning Inbox triage done before heading to my 6AM workout. By noon, it was 65F. It is currently 73F. Tonight will be 37F, and tomorrow will be 75F. Friday and Saturday, we'll be getting snow again.

Fulcrum
01-26-2015, 06:17 PM
You get used to it after a while. Just let the beard grow and you'll have some cheap insulation.:cool:

Freelancier
01-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Just let the beard grow and you'll have some cheap insulationI found that facial hair was just a frozen snot catcher.

Harold Mansfield
01-26-2015, 11:04 PM
I know what you mean, I almost had to carry a jacket today and at the moment I'm seriously contemplating closing one of the windows.

billbenson
01-26-2015, 11:07 PM
@Brian, where are you that you are having that much of a temperature spread?

There are places that are cold and I can understand why people live there. If you like snow skiing - Colorado; If you like night life or great food, New York City etc. But Atlantic City was just a sad place. It was like a ghost town with myserable weather. If it wasn't for the fact that I went to a great martial arts seminar which I enjoy, and was with good friends I didn't see any reason to go there.

Brian Altenhofel
01-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Western Oklahoma.

Right now, we're in a high pressure zone, and that makes for some really clear skies. Sun comes up, and we get a strong west or southwest wind that brings in a lot of warm and dry air with no clouds to reflect the sun. As soon as the sun touches the horizon, the wind completely stops, and once it's dark the heat escapes because there's no clouds to act as a blanket.

Not uncommon this time of year. A few years ago, we had a arctic front and warm front go back and forth a couple of days. Day 1 was low 70s, got 2-3 inches of ice on Days 2 and 3, and Day 4 was back to mid 60s.

Already this winter we've had a day where the high was in the 60s and reached at 12AM. By 5PM it was in the teens. I'd guess about 15-20 days a year most people will run both the heat and the A/C during a 24-hour period in their house.

As a funny note... I went to a conference last year in Austin, TX. People were complaining about how windy it was with a 10mph wind. In my neck of the woods, that's a calm day. We usually get at least one day a year with 50+mph sustained winds. By the way, if you ever drive I-40 through the western half of Oklahoma (or any roads on this side of the state), take a good look at the trees and you'll see why you don't need a compass here - every one of them points north.

When I go out to the porch for an evening cigar, I have to check the weather first. I learned my lesson the first time when the temperature started in the low 50s and was in the mid 30s an hour later with half a cigar to go. It was perfect timing, too... dead calm and could use a match to properly light the cigar, and not 30 seconds after the first full puff, 20mph howling north wind.

Freelancier
01-27-2015, 07:52 AM
I used to live in Colorado Springs and one fine early spring evening we went from having the windows open and 69 degrees down to 39 degrees in 20 minutes and an hour later it was snowing. I moved away about a month later :)

CCAdamson
01-27-2015, 09:40 AM
In my neck of the woods of PA we got about 5-6 inches of snow total last night and this morning the temp was 18 as I shoveled out my massive driveway. Good news is I shoveled it all last night too so I only had to do a couple inches worth this morning!

You just get used to it but I can definitely see myself being a January-March in Florida type of guy as I get older.

David Hunter
01-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Bunch of wimps! :p

We could get a foot of snow and we'll keep going about our day!

Brian Altenhofel
01-27-2015, 01:14 PM
We get a few flurries that don't even stick and the dumb masses are in the ditches.

Freelancier
01-27-2015, 01:17 PM
We get a few flurries that don't even stick and the dumb masses are in the ditches.We get the threat of them and everyone runs to the store to buy up all the bread, milk, and condoms. I'm not making that up.

Harold Mansfield
01-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Snow in Vegas is big news. Only seen it 3 times. Twice just flurries. Once was a full on Michigan like snow storm. Shut down the city and closed a lot of things. I actually found myself wondering why it was taking so long to clear the crippled roads and then I remembered...Oh yeah, we don't have snow plows and salt trucks and stuff.

Luckily the next day was all sun and it was gone by 5 p.m.

KristineS
01-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Bunch of wimps! :p

We could get a foot of snow and we'll keep going about our day!

That's how we are in Northern Michigan too. A few weeks back I drove to work and back in a snowstorm that was so fierce we were having whiteouts. Just barely could see the road. Our temperature yesterday morning when I drove to work was one degree above zero. It's just how it is here in the winter.

Brian Altenhofel
01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
We get the threat of them and everyone runs to the store to buy up all the bread, milk, and condoms. I'm not making that up.

Same here.

When I was a cashier at Walmart, I had to explain to some college kids that microwave dinners won't work without electricity. They still didn't understand...

Longest I've been without power is two weeks. Interestingly, since I got a steal of a deal on a Generac 6500W generator 5 years ago, I haven't had the need for it.

When I was in high school, we could get a foot of snow and they wouldn't shut down the school. We could have 3 inches of ice and that would not excuse you from finals at the local college.

Now both of them shut down as soon as the talking head uses the "s" word.

FirstPortMarketing
01-27-2015, 02:05 PM
We get the threat of them and everyone runs to the store to buy up all the bread, milk, and condoms. I'm not making that up.

That happens here too but currently there's three feet of snow on the ground trapping me inside my house. Gotta stock up! :p

billbenson
01-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Same here.

When I was a cashier at Walmart, I had to explain to some college kids that microwave dinners won't work without electricity. They still didn't understand...

Longest I've been without power is two weeks. Interestingly, since I got a steal of a deal on a Generac 6500W generator 5 years ago, I haven't had the need for it.

When I was in high school, we could get a foot of snow and they wouldn't shut down the school. We could have 3 inches of ice and that would not excuse you from finals at the local college.

Now both of them shut down as soon as the talking head uses the "s" word.

I've thought about a small generator to power my office for hurricane season. Keep canned goods, rice, and beans around for that time of year. I've got a pretty good barbaque area set up for cooking. Propane works without electricity. I've lived in Florida of and on since 82 and don't recall loosing power for more than 8 hours. Hurricane's have to pretty much be a direct hit to do incredible damage and then you have bigger problems. If they are nearby you get a ton of rain and 60 mph winds.

J from Michigan
02-16-2015, 07:51 PM
For what it's worth... the high was 3º today.
- and that was when the sun finally came out! :(

CCAdamson
02-16-2015, 07:55 PM
3° would have been a heat wave here today. The car said -14° today!

Brian Altenhofel
02-16-2015, 11:41 PM
It was 80F Saturday, and 23F and sleeting Sunday night....

Currently have a forecast of high 60's Friday and snow Saturday night.

billbenson
02-17-2015, 03:41 PM
It was 80F Saturday, and 23F and sleeting Sunday night....

Currently have a forecast of high 60's Friday and snow Saturday night.

With temperature swings like that, I'd think that a lot of people are prone to getting colds.