PDA

View Full Version : The errand service business

QUICKSERVE
01-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Greetings! I've just joined the forum because I am about to enter the business world and I have little of my own operational knowledge.

I have decided to open a Errand service with money from my tax returns. I am going to need advertising, insurance and I assume some unknown costs.

From what I've seen no one in my area provides these services outside of possibly home health aids and some seniors groups. However I would like seniors to be part of my target market.

I am wondering what type of insurance I will need?

My service will offer a range of abilities from deliveries, tending homes, waiting on utility workers, letting contractors into your home, pick up and drop off dry cleaning ,etc.

Is getting bonded a good idea? Do I legally need a tax number or can I pay with just my social security number as I will be the only employee to begin with?

After a 3 years i would like to have a big enough market to employ a couple workers and potentially franchise in 15 or 20 years.

What do I need to learn?

Harold Mansfield
01-18-2015, 07:54 PM
After years on this forum responding to this question, I pretty much have it down to what I consider the most important things before you open the doors.

1. Perfect your product or service, presentation, and customer service so that every customer sings your praises and is a repeat customer.

2. Have a real plan for how you will get those customers.
I mean an actual plan. Not just (For example) "we'll do Social Media and word of mouth". Detail exactly HOW. Neither of those things just happen. It takes a plan and execution to make them happen.

If there's no money coming in you won't have to worry about things like accounting and how much you will pay yourself.

QUICKSERVE
01-18-2015, 08:28 PM
What I had planned to do with the business cards was walk through our downtown in the two adjoining cities and surrounding areas and introduce myself as the owner of the service and present them with how I could be of service to them ( my sales pitch).
If I'm off base on the actual HOW of it can you give me an example of exactly what you mean?

Harold Mansfield
01-18-2015, 08:53 PM
What I had planned to do with the business cards was walk through our downtown in the two adjoining cities and surrounding areas and introduce myself as the owner of the service and present them with how I could be of service to them ( my sales pitch).
If I'm off base on the actual HOW of it can you give me an example of exactly what you mean?

Nothing wrong with that, and it may even lead to some sales..but what are you going to do the next day, and the next? And next week? And next month? You can't physically shake enough hands to keep the pipeline full AND still have time to actually run the business.

You need a continuing plan for marketing and promoting your business. It doesn't have to be expensive necessarily, but it does need to be consistent.

In my scenario if you get #1 down to a science, you now have free promotion from satisfied customers which is part of your #2 plan.
Set yourself up online with profiles that accept reviews and get those satisfied customers talking about you online in your area.

You're going to need a website ( and have a plan of what it needs to do) no way around it, but it sounds like you're bootstrapping it. That's why I suggest at least creating your profiles and asking everyone for reviews.

After that, there's a ton of possibilities and opportunities that you'll have to kind of learn for yourself based on where you are, and who you are targeting. First thing is to define your target customer clearly, and where you need to be to get in front of them.

Instead of thinking abstract, think specifics. How will you get your first 10 customers. First 20? Are you going to shake individual hands and pass out cards everyday? Or shoot for getting a little more exposure and coverage?

QUICKSERVE
01-18-2015, 09:29 PM
The initial plan for marketing on the web had consisted of using free sites like LinkedIn, a Facebook page, prompting on local Facebook sales groups(one has 10k members).
I know a website is essential but I don't want to necessarily schedule appointments over the web. It may generate income but I'm worried about missed appointments like that.
Also I want to skip having to pay someone to maintain the site, at least for the first year

QUICKSERVE
01-18-2015, 09:33 PM
I also plan in utilizing discounts for seniors, vets and military families with a currently deployed spouse.

I would like to make heavy advertisement at the local vfws and senior centers in the form of posters and perhaps signage in those areas

Harold Mansfield
01-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Not being a naysayer, but just throwing some real world at you....

The initial plan for marketing on the web had consisted of using free sites like LinkedIn, a Facebook page, prompting on local Facebook sales groups(one has 10k members).
All good ideas. However, you will probably be able to mention your business 1 or 2 times before you are looked at like a spammer. So that's not a plan with any legs.
A Facebook page is a good idea, you can stack up your reviews there. But don't expect Social Media to be a source of any actual business for a while unless you use your own page to run targeted ads and specials to people in your area. That's something you CAN control.

I know a website is essential but I don't want to necessarily schedule appointments over the web. It may generate income but I'm worried about missed appointments like that.
I wasn't actually thinking that far ahead, I was just thinking of having something for people to find when they investigate you to see if you have all of your licenses, are bonded, and whatever else you need to be in my house providing a service. When you pass out those cards, they are going to look online for you. What are they going to find, and is what they find going to give them the confidence to trust you in their home?

If you can do a decent one pager with all of your information, some sales copy, business hours, and contact options...it's better than nothing.

Also I want to skip having to pay someone to maintain the site, at least for the first year
You don't need to be constantly turning knobs and pulling levers. Use a CMS like WordPress and you can learn the basic functions yourself.

Not trying to talk you into a website If you don't think you need it...moving on. Just wanted to clear up your misconceptions.

I also plan in utilizing discounts for seniors, vets and military families with a currently deployed spouse.
Tons of businesses target seniors and military spouses. Just know going in that the landscape is crowded.

I would like to make heavy advertisement at the local vfws and senior centers in the form of posters and perhaps signage in those areas
Those are the kinds of specifics I'm talking about. An actual plan to get exposure. Even the little stuff counts.

Just always try and prepare for things not to go perfectly. Have a back up plan, and be able to adjust on the fly.
For instance, if the VFW's say you can't hang posters, what's the back up plan to reach that audience? Find out for sure if you can before you call it a plan.

Sounds like you are thinking in the right direction and have pretty realistic expectations of the work and learning involved as you go. You'll hit some unexpected snags, but never stop promoting your business and looking for opportunities to gain customers. Professionally, of course.

QUICKSERVE
01-18-2015, 10:31 PM
This is a very rough draft of what will be included in my initial flier.
QUICKSERVE ERRAND SERVICE

Errand running

Is your day busy? Can't take necessary time from work to be somewhere?

Need your clothes taken to the cleaners, pick up and mail a money order?
Grocery lists fulfilled?
Need your pet fed or walked?
Waiting service for utilities?
Contractor meets?
Out of town and need your lights turned on and off? Car moved around? Groceries stocked before your return home?
QUICKSERVE errand service happily meets those needs and more. If your need isn't listed just ask.

What comes first the chicken or the egg? Should I wait until I have all forms of media in place before I begin taking jobs or can I get by with just business cards and fliers until the web site is published? I would like to start getting the company promoted as soon as I can but I also don't want to go around halfheartedly.

Harold Mansfield
01-18-2015, 10:58 PM
What comes first the chicken or the egg? Should I wait until I have all forms of media in place before I begin taking jobs or can I get by with just business cards and fliers until the web site is published? I would like to start getting the company promoted as soon as I can but I also don't want to go around halfheartedly.

Business cards and fliers and the Facebook page, Linked In and Twitter accounts. If you can't do the website at first, then spend time building FABULOUS Social Media profiles that look and sound professional. If there are any free local sites to be listed in, get in there too.
Get your elevator speech and whatever branding you have together so that when you're putting up your profiles your message is clear, and consistent throughout.

At the very least buy your company URL so that you have it and don't risk losing it to a squatter, and you can at least direct it somewhere like your Facebook page. Just because you don't have a lot of money at first doesn't mean that you can't look professional. Commit to learning a little about marketing and branding yourself so that you can do some things on your own.

David Hunter
01-19-2015, 11:34 AM
You could always pick up the phone and start cold calling!!! You can get detailed lists of the prospects you want and start offering your services.

And... you could get their mailing addresses too, and send them direct mail with your offer. Just keep following up!