PDA

View Full Version : [Poll]: How are you using Social Media for your Business?

Harold Mansfield
01-15-2015, 09:39 AM
I'm always looking at surveys and research for all kinds of things to try and get more insight into how business owners operate.

I decided to just ask the people I want to hear from and created my own survey intended for Small Business Owners just like me, to see how they/we are actually using Social Media and consuming information.

I'd appreciate it if you guys would take the survey about how you use Social Media and Technology.
It's 20 questions. I don't want or need your email address. Just honest answers.

2015 Social Media Survey for Small Business Owners (http://haroldmansfield.com/2015-social-media-survey/)

Thanks in advance.
Any feedback or discussion is welcome

Full disclosure: I do promote it elsewhere, so there is an exit pop up on the results page.

vangogh
01-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Done. I missed the results though. Is there another way to get them?

I'm not sure how useful my responses will be as I don't really do much with social media, either professionally or personally. I did answer as honestly as I could.
Twitter is probably the only social site I pay any attention to and I barely pay attention to it. I have profiles on the big sites, though most I created at a time when I thought I needed to have profiles on those sites and not because I really wanted to be there. The reason I pay some attention to Twitter is because when there's time sensitive news spreading, Twitter is usually the place that will have the news the fastest. You can get up to the second news there. I'd guess some people would say the same about Facebook.

When I remember, which isn't that often, I'll tweet links to articles I think are interesting and think the people following me will also find interesting. I think my follower count goes up whenever I do. Because I get some traffic from Twitter, I have a few vanity searches set up to quickly see what people might be saying about something I wrote.

It's funny, because I think I understand social media fairly well and understand how to use it as a marketing channel. It's the same as being here. Be genuine. Participate. Contribute. Help others. It's the same thing you do to meet people and get to know them in person. There are ways people try to optimize their success with social media, but in the end it's just communicating with real people.

I think the main reason I don't spend a lot of time on social sites is the communication is bite-sized. It feels like listening only to sound bites to decide who to vote for, instead of spending some time listening to what the candidates actually say. I'd rather read the 1,000 page novel than the cliff notes. I like information more in-depth. When it comes to family and friends I have several ways I would sooner talk to them than social sites.

Like I said, I may not be the best person to respond to the survey.

Harold Mansfield
01-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Done. I missed the results though. Is there another way to get them?

Yep. I PM'ed you. You should have gotten a message with a link pop up on the screen as soon as you hit "submit".
Let me know if you didn't see that and I'll just auto redirect the page.

I know what you mean. I used to think I needed every Social Media profile under the sun, but a while back I realized that I was just hurting myself showing profiles that I was never going to keep up with and didn't need.

I mean I have 1 You Tube video and don't plan on making a whole bunch more. No one is going to follow me on You Tube so why keep sending website visitors there?
The video does come up in search and that's really all I needed. Seems like other people are cutting down too.

I also had to cut down on repetitive profiles. I don't need a Twitter profile for me AND my business. That mistake cost me though cause now I had to start all over with Twitter.

But we've all been around since since the beginning of Social Media, before we learned best practices and strategies because there were none.

When I first started I had a My Space page for my website. We've come a long way in a short time.

OakTech Virtual Assistant
05-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Hi, can you send me a copy of the survey result? I finished the survey but it seems there's an error for fetching the result.

HTTP ERROR: parsererror SyntaxError: Unexpected token C

Since my business is focusing on supporting small business owner, it will be interesting to get know of the real social media using habit of my target audience. Cheers.