PDA

View Full Version : display a long list

rezzy
04-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Hello guys,

As I work on re-conditioning a site with new information, I cant help but think about improving pages, which never got my full stamp of approval. I couldnt really find a better way to manage this list and so its remained as is.

As I have learned more ajax, and other techniques, I wonder, is this page ok as is? I was thinking about using an ajax tab thing to allow switching between the topics.

Opinions?Mens Facial, Womens Facial, Chemical Peels | Unique Skin Care (http://www.uniqueskincare.net/services.php)

orion_joel
04-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I would expect that either tabs or some sort of separation would improve the page, it is a little long and could do with splitting. Just how i am not exactly sure it would depend if you can separate them successfully without confusing the site visitors.

rezzy
04-19-2009, 08:43 AM
separate them successfully without confusing the site visitors.

Thats exactly my problem. How do I seperate them but still allow users to understand how it works. I was thinking about the tab idea, but was nervous about using something that wouldnt be intuitive.

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Thats exactly my problem. How do I seperate them but still allow users to understand how it works. I was thinking about the tab idea, but was nervous about using something that wouldnt be intuitive.

Why don't you use columns ? You could get twice as much information closer together on the page and reduce the scrolling in half.

vangogh
04-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Bryan with tabs you're just taking the content and turning it into several pages instead of one long page. Then add a secondary navigation for the Services section. It doesn't have to be tabs. It just needs to be clear that it's a link to a new page.

I don't think columns are the answer. If you pack too much info into the page it's not getting read. Closer together is not necessarily a good thing.

Why not take what you have now and give each service a dedicated page. You can add more content to each page to build them up more. Use the main section page as a quick intro to each service along with links to the dedicated pages. And have the secondary menu be present on all the section pages so people don't have to return to the main section page.

I don't think Ajax is needed here. You could use it, but it would be just as effective to have several pages instead of one and it would probably be better for search engines to have the multiple pages too.

rezzy
04-20-2009, 10:01 AM
ha, for some reason that idea never crossed my mind. I always thought of doing it this way. But doing something like that would be great.

That long list of a hundred things is a bit overdone and needs to be prettied up.

Plus I am working on some new applications for the site, hopefully those will go smooth.

vangogh
04-20-2009, 11:34 AM
It was too obvious. Always look for the simple solutions first.

rezzy
04-21-2009, 12:22 AM
So you mean purchasing new computer components before checking to see if it was plugged in is a bad idea? hmmm...

vangogh
04-21-2009, 02:12 AM
Funny. And yes. Check to see if it's plugged in first.