PDA

View Full Version : Google Domains is a real thing now

Harold Mansfield
01-13-2015, 02:02 PM
I knew that Google was a licensed domain registrar and has been for a couple of years now, but I always wondered why and like others speculated that they were using registration info in search algorithms. Now we know what they've been planning and it has launched

Google has launched a public beta of its Google Domains service in the US. It primarily focuses on offering businesses a way to claim their website domain name as well as web page creation features.

Improved search and suggestion experience to help you find the perfect domain name
Over 60 new domain endings like .company, .florist and .coffee
A simple dashboard to manage your domain, website and email settings
The integration of Blogger so you can create a blog and easily connect it to your domain
The ability to quickly browse website template themes and compare the plans and features of our website building providers
Dynamic DNS so you can setup your domain and keep it pointing to the same computer even when the IP address changes.

Source: The Google Domains public beta begins in US | Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/google-domains-public-beta-begins-us-starting-your-own-website)

Here's the official registration portal:
https://domains.google.com/about/

I can't wait for all of the noobs to start writing blog posts and telling clients that purchasing through Google will boost their SEO score. Although I suppose technically they certainly could do that...it would destroy their credibility with marketers and pretty much everyone in the world.

One thing is for sure, for the most part I like Google products. Having all of my domains under my Google account where all of my other business stuff is would be much easier. And I'm not that fond of Go Daddy to begin with and managing domains from anything but a desktop or laptop is about 3 years behind the tech curve. Go Daddy has not improved.

Unless I hear of any problems, this will likely be my new registrar.

Brian Altenhofel
01-13-2015, 04:34 PM
I don't see any API docs, so until then they are pretty much out of the question for me.

Harold Mansfield
01-13-2015, 05:36 PM
I don't see any API docs, so until then they are pretty much out of the question for me.
Today is the first day. I'm sure it's coming. Google is usually pretty forthcoming with developers.

CCAdamson
01-14-2015, 10:27 AM
I just bought my domain through Google. I had to have a special invitation to do it. I haven't done anything else yet as I just bought it a couple of days ago. My cousin is my "All Things Computer/Web" guru and she recommended I go this route rather then godaddy. Cheaper too!

Harold Mansfield
01-14-2015, 11:10 AM
My cousin is my "All Things Computer/Web" guru and she recommended I go this route rather then godaddy.
Just curious. What was her reasoning for recommending that you register with Google over any other registrar?

CCAdamson
01-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Part bias, she is pro google everything. Part because the domain comes with the privacy protection. Other than that I am not 100% but I will ask and find out.

Harold Mansfield
01-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Part bias, she is pro google everything. Part because the domain comes with the privacy protection.
Standard? I did not know that. That is very useful information.

CCAdamson
01-15-2015, 08:02 AM
I followed up with her last night. Really only her only reason is her experience with them so far. She got on board as soon as she found out and everything has been a positive experience to this point.

I got the domain for two years with the privacy protection for $24.

They immediately sent me an email after purchase saying I can get up to 100 email addresses and a site building service. I am sure some of this at an extra cost but I haven't gone that far yet.