PDA

View Full Version : Marketing greeting cards

Raven2014
01-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Hello,
I am new to this forum, well all forums really. I have done very little "foruming" on the net.
I want to start a new business. I write and I do some graphic design, and I want to start a greeting card company. I have a Ricoh Aficio SP C831 which prints heavy card stock. I have hundreds of verses already written. My question is: Do I need to design my own graphics, or are the royalty free graphics that I buy useable on my cards?
I want to offer both personalized and regular greeting cards. I would like to offer the audio but I know that is out of the question.
Can anyone tell me how one would get started. I already have my title and have been paying state franchise taxes on it since 2009, but I have not made any money yet.
I do believe they will sell because I sold them one Christmas season for just three weeks and made almost $26,000 in that time. I just do not know the best way to try and get them marketed.
Does anyone have any ideas? I am going to college this year for graphic design, but I am wondering if I should take marketing instead. I need both!!
I am disabled and will do most of my marketing on the internet. Can anyone tell me how easy it would be to obtain a loan to help me get started. I already have a good computer and printer, however, I will need m ore equipment than that and I will need to borrow enough to pay someone to help me market them I guess.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Raven2014

KristineS
01-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Hi,

If you're purchasing royalty free graphics, most will come with a license that specifies how they can be used. Most of the time, the license will prohibit being used for things that will be sold. So you will probably want to take a look at the licenses for the pictures you've purchased.

Selling online would be a good option. You might look at sites like Etsy and see what they could offer you.

kluto
01-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Like KristineS said, most graphics will have restrictions and you won't be able to use them on your cards. I'd recommend searching the web for "packages" that you need to buy but which come with a library of designs which you can use.