PDA

View Full Version : I am in a trouble spot

mikerichx3
01-04-2015, 11:55 PM
I recent just got fired from my job at my college I was an IT help desk associate making $8 an hour. I got fired from something I didn't do but that is not the point. I worked for many jobs in retail, phone call centers, restaurants, and clothing stores. I have an apartment with my girlfriend and with my business and IT I could afford it but now I am struggling. I filed for unemployment and is currently waiting for that to go through. My business is an Computer Repair company that gets business here and there. What my question is should I subcontract with other businesses while improving my own business, or should I find another job preferably in the IT field to learn the ropes and keeping my business on the backburner. FIY I am only 21 years old, very ambitious, I hate repetition for a 9-5 job, and I am ready for my next move. Please help if you can.

billbenson
01-05-2015, 03:11 AM
The only recommendation I can give you is stay away from the retail and resteraunt industries. Except in rare occasions they don't pay much. If you can find a job that is similar to your field, that is ideal. Something you can learn from, independant of pay.

will.i.earn
01-05-2015, 03:35 AM
I'd recommend you applying for an IT related job. Apply as a virtual assistant. I'm sure the skills you've picked up from your past work would more than suffice. It's also a location-independent type of job, which will enable you to maintain some focus on your business.

nealrm
01-05-2015, 09:05 AM
You stated you were fired from your college, but you didn't state if you had your degree. At 21 I am assuming that you are a Junior and will be graduating next year. If that is the case I would do everything that you can do to cut expenses and take any job you can find that will not interfere with your classes. If you are working towards an IT degree it would be best if they were in that field, but any job is better than none. Once you graduate, then you can get the permanent positions.

Also, working your own business don't stop the 9 to 5 schedule. What, yes it does, it becomes a 8 to 7pm+ schedule. The important part is that you enjoy your work regardless of if you are working for yourself or someone else.

Brian Altenhofel
01-05-2015, 10:23 AM
The important part is that you enjoy your work regardless of if you are working for yourself or someone else.

This.

Subcontracting for others who have overflow available could work, though they'd likely prefer to hire you as an employee. If you're in a college town (town where everything functions because of the college, not just a town where a college happens to be located), they may be able to be very flexible with your schedule.

Running a business is hard work. It's even harder if you're trying to go to school at the same time. If it were me, I'd remove some of the stress and work for someone else if I were in school, but that's just me.

MyITGuy
01-05-2015, 10:31 AM
If you don't have a substantial cash reserve, then I would suggest finding another job, preferably in the IT field to help you build your experience while still earning income to pay the bills.

If you do have a cash reserve, then look into building your business more while subcontracting for other computer repair shops in your area, or picking up work through Field Nation, Onforce and etc...

Freelancier
01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
The important part is that you enjoy your work regardless of if you are working for yourself or someone else.Given the OP's financial position, I'd say the important part is that the OP and his girlfriend don't become homeless and can put food on the table.

So take ANY job that pays enough and gives you enough time to find a better job, lets you keep up with your classes, and leaves time for a once-a-week date night (people forget those). At the OP's age, great jobs are hard to come by, so get the experiences and learning you need to get to the point where a great job is easier to find.

nealrm
01-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Given the OP's financial position, I'd say the important part is that the OP and his girlfriend don't become homeless and can put food on the table.

So take ANY job that pays enough and gives you enough time to find a better job, lets you keep up with your classes, and leaves time for a once-a-week date night (people forget those). At the OP's age, great jobs are hard to come by, so get the experiences and learning you need to get to the point where a great job is easier to find.

I think you missed the first paragraph that stated to take any job right now. The second paragraph refers to future work once he is out of school.

Freelancier
01-05-2015, 11:10 AM
I'd say even after the OP left school, the most important thing you can do is make sure you have a roof over your head and food on the table (and health care coverage, since that's the most likely cause of bankruptcies). Whether you like your job is less important in the grand scheme. Eventually, when you're in a position to be choosy, then you start worry about those "niceties" like whether you love what you're doing. But until you're in a position where you have that luxury, people need to stay focused and derive their satisfaction from knowing that things could be much much worse.

nealrm
01-05-2015, 11:22 AM
I'd say even after the OP left school, the most important thing you can do is make sure you have a roof over your head and food on the table (and health care coverage, since that's the most likely cause of bankruptcies). Whether you like your job is less important in the grand scheme. Eventually, when you're in a position to be choosy, then you start worry about those "niceties" like whether you love what you're doing. But until you're in a position where you have that luxury, people need to stay focused and derive their satisfaction from knowing that things could be much much worse.

Yes and no. In the short term you must pay your bills and keep out of debt. It is OK to take a position that you don't like to support yourself and your family. However, in the long term, you will not exceed in a position that you don't like. At the very best you will put in OK work and get by. People generally do best and prosper the most when they are doing work they enjoy. For long term success you need to either learn to like the work you are doing or find out how to make what you enjoy doing work.

mikerichx3
01-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys, I only go to school one day a week at Hilbert College and I am a junior that is about to graduate in less than 14 months. I am in a program in Hilbert college that is called ADP its for people who are busy that only meet for one day of the week and the rest of the days are online work. I am studying Business Management I always had a great background in IT well since I was 7. I have started a subcontracted deal with a company called [company removed] And because I go to school part time now my refund check because of rollover loans are around 4,000. That is why I don't want to rush into a new job and possibly create a conflict of interest. From my past working 6 plus jobs you can tell I am an entrepreneur at heart I just figured this out last year after my father passed.

DeniseTaylor
01-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your predicament. In my opinion, you should make as many contacts as you can - maybe start with the choice you like best, then work your way down the list. My reasoning is, it's a tough market right now and if you pick and choose, you could end up prolonging your unemployment situation. Unless you're rich, you need to get money coming in. So my advice is just hit it and go for everything you can think of and then field whatever calls come in. Chances are they won't be plentiful - unless you have connections and/or are lucky. :-)

Good luck!

mikerichx3
01-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Yeah it just hurts, he and a lot of people said that I can make it. I have one subcontracting deal, I just formed at group of trustworthy people that have computer and phone repairing experience for my just started business, and I have an interview today as a IT phone support near a college university which the wages are negotiable what should I ask for it can be part time or full time. I live in New York and the average that I've seen on Glassdoor are 12 an hour. If I can do this for now as part time I should be good I guess.

Harold Mansfield
01-05-2015, 02:43 PM
If the subcontracting deal is enough to pay the bills, do that and try to get others. Next thing you know you'll be in business for yourself.

Starting a business when you're broke, and without a financial fall back is normally the wrong move. Most times you'll go broke before you start getting any money coming in especially if you have no infrastructure set up...website, marketing, advertising...these things generally take time to establish and get going.

But in your case since you already have a sub contracting gig, if it's sustainable then keep going forward. See if they have more work load for you. Maybe take on additional duties similar to what you are doing.

The best advice I can give is, if you need a job now to pay the bills..get a job now. 12hr is more than you were making. If you can get that gig now AND keep your subcontracting gig you'll be doing better than what you were.

Restaurant work isn't bad if you're good at waiting tables or bartending and you can get a good tip money gig quickly. Working for hourly in a restaurant is not worth it. If you're going to struggle may as well struggle in your field and get more experience.

mikerichx3
01-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks you guys that actually helped, I just left the interview now and I had positive results from it. I will have to wait until next week to get a answer from them. I think I will keep the subcontracting deals with the job I will get next week I hope.

billbenson
01-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Restaurant work isn't bad if you're good at waiting tables or bartending and you can get a good tip money gig quickly. Working for hourly in a restaurant is not worth it. If you're going to struggle may as well struggle in your field and get more experience.

I'm pretty sure I left a $100 bill in with my tip at an airport once. I don't usually carry large bills...

I think your view on tipping may be tainted because of where you live. I tip well, but most people don't at average restaurants. At least according to a girl I know who has been a waitress at a number of restaurants. Restaurants like Chili's, wing joints etc. Then when you get into more upscale restaurants the patrons have money things change IMO. People will give good tips. Not everybody, but I bet some of those waiters make a fair amount of money on tips.

Now I agree with you about bartenders. If you work at a busy bar, even if some people are $1 tippers, they may make some decent money.

Harold Mansfield
01-06-2015, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I left a $100 bill in with my tip at an airport once. I don't usually carry large bills...

I think your view on tipping may be tainted because of where you live. I tip well, but most people don't at average restaurants. At least according to a girl I know who has been a waitress at a number of restaurants. Restaurants like Chili's, wing joints etc. Then when you get into more upscale restaurants the patrons have money things change IMO. People will give good tips. Not everybody, but I bet some of those waiters make a fair amount of money on tips.

Now I agree with you about bartenders. If you work at a busy bar, even if some people are $1 tippers, they may make some decent money.

It all depends on where you work. I cut my teeth at places like Chilis and Red Lobster in Michigan, then moved on to TGI Fridays and Bennegan's in S. Florida back when they were really hot and you could make $300 a couple days a week and $100 on the others. After that I learned that busy bars and nightclubs was where the money was and came to Vegas.

It's true. You can get stuck at an Applebee's in an average neighborhood and make squat. I decided to leave and go where the action and the money was. Miami and Las Vegas fit the bill nicely. Once that got old I drove a Limo for a few years until that cash dried up. I got lucky in that I always seemed to be in the right place at the right time when things were hot.

It's definitely not like it used to be, even in Vegas.

If I needed a job right now I'd rather get $12 an hour from day one, than to start at a crappy restaurant...go through training for a week and then start on the slowest day shifts on the schedule and spend months working your way up to get one or 2 money shifts. In most states tipped employees don't even make minimum wage.

smallbizfinancier
01-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Mike,

The work you briefly described, that is working as an IT helpdesk employee is an extremely valuable one. It's a shame that you lost that position. However, like the old adage says, when one door closes, another one opens. Do you have any experience with related to project-based IT, for example: network installation and management, SEO or SEM? If so, I would advise posting a consulting advert on Craiglist. Post your abilities as a freelancer and see if there are any bites. You may find small businesses in your surrounding areas that are looking for a project-based IT consultant that can help set up networks, build computers and user profiles, establish security protocols, etc. Since the gigs are freelance, you can do it around your school schedule and almost name your price. There's high demand for people in your field. Think big, remain hungry and chase the dollar.
In 30 years, you'll look back on your "untimely" termination as a blessing.

All the best,

mikerichx3
01-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Mike,

The work you briefly described, that is working as an IT helpdesk employee is an extremely valuable one. It's a shame that you lost that position. However, like the old adage says, when one door closes, another one opens. Do you have any experience with related to project-based IT, for example: network installation and management, SEO or SEM? If so, I would advise posting a consulting advert on Craiglist. Post your abilities as a freelancer and see if there are any bites. You may find small businesses in your surrounding areas that are looking for a project-based IT consultant that can help set up networks, build computers and user profiles, establish security protocols, etc. Since the gigs are freelance, you can do it around your school schedule and almost name your price. There's high demand for people in your field. Think big, remain hungry and chase the dollar.
In 30 years, you'll look back on your "untimely" termination as a blessing.

All the best,

I actually have experience in all of those I have a Facebook page currently working on a website. The Facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/himikex3. Craigslist just seems weird to me but I did find that one job interview from there. What other marketing strategies can I post on? But thank you so much I appreciate the ideas.

MyITGuy
01-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I actually have experience in all of those I have a Facebook page currently working on a website. The Facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/himikex3. Craigslist just seems weird to me but I did find that one job interview from there. What other marketing strategies can I post on? But thank you so much I appreciate the ideas.

I'd recommend avoiding Craigslist in hopes of finding subcontracting jobs/customers, thats just a race to the bottom on that site (I tried it 3-4 years ago with little success).

Have you checked out OnForce (OnForce Freelancer Management System for Managing Extended Workforce (http://www.onforce.com/)), Field Nation (https://www.fieldnation.com/) and etc? These sites drive a lot of work my way and are fairly easy to use while building relationships with the clients along the way (Several clients auto-route work orders directly to me now based on past performance/relationships)

smallbizfinancier
01-19-2015, 08:08 PM
mikerichx3: are there jobs that you apply for online, for example: jobs/stints on Craigslist, Elance.com or Fiverr?