PDA

View Full Version : Add a Wiki to your Word Press Posts or Pages

Harold Mansfield
04-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I found a neat little plug in the other day for Word Press that lets you make a Wiki a post or page, that registered users can update on their own. (I'd be careful with that feature)

WordPress › Wordpress Wiki WordPress Plugins (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-wiki/)

For me, since I post a lot of events (location, ticket information, dates, performers and such), it is a cool way to let your readers know that you have all the information needed, and will be updated, and also displays a neat little Table of contents at the top of the article that links directly to each section.

I just started using it, but here is how it looks (http://www.124bpms.com/dance-music-definitions/)in action on a page without sidebars.:

It can be tricky to use with images at the top of the article, but it is a nice feature for informative or tech minded articles or tutorials....and a great way to break up longer articles.
It's also an unassuming way to insert your affiliate links into your posts like I have here (http://www.124bpms.com/2009/04/the-2009-detroit-electronic-music-festival-line-up-and-ticket-information/) in a post with sidebars.

vangogh
04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks. I've been thinking more and more about wikis and how I can incorporate one into my site. Mostly I'm thinking of using them as a way to communicate projects with clients. We can each make notes on the wiki page and upload and download content, images, and other media.

You should be able to set different roles for people so that the wiki pages are only accessible by those you want to access them. You should also be able to control how much people can edit or whether they're changes need to be approved.

Harold Mansfield
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks. I've been thinking more and more about wikis and how I can incorporate one into my site. Mostly I'm thinking of using them as a way to communicate projects with clients. We can each make notes on the wiki page and upload and download content, images, and other media.

You should be able to set different roles for people so that the wiki pages are only accessible by those you want to access them. You should also be able to control how much people can edit or whether they're changes need to be approved.

I haven't explored the options, (there are no settings or anything, you determine if you want it as a "Wiki" in your post options), but I assume a password protected page or post will allow you to narrow down who accesses what, especially since you are talking about it not being a public page.

The only downfall I see, is users will have to know word press, or you run the risk of them screwing up the whole page...however...I still think the set up can work in that fashion, if nothing else as a reference page for clients to follow along a project...they could still leave comments at the bottom for suggestions and additions.

I like it, especially for when I post events...waiting to see if there are any SEO benefits.

rezzy
04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Steven, Its interesting your considering using a wiki or someother tool for showing clients progress. I **was actually interested in creating my own application which serve a place for updates and other information for clients.

The plan was to show progress and current site versions plus info about payment, etc.

phanio
04-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Very interesting - how would the wiki differ from plain old email?

Business Attorney
04-13-2009, 10:01 PM
eborg9, thanks for the tip and for the example of using it in your own website.

I have an idea for a little website I have been wanting to do on a topic that interests me, but I figured that I could never keep it current myself. This wiki plug-in may be just the answer I need to solve my problem.

Harold Mansfield
04-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Very interesting - how would the wiki differ from plain old email?

You mean, as in email posting ? 2 different animals. This seems to be more of organization tool than anything. I can see it being good for an ongoing project or tutorial.

Harold Mansfield
04-18-2009, 02:09 AM
I also found an additional use for this plug in.
I have always heard bloggers struggling to find a place for links..especially if you do a lot of directory submissions, or link exchanges, you need a place for all those links without cluttering up your home page.

Well I took it a step further since i am also building sort of a link directory, and I wasn't that impressed with the layout of the directory plug ins, so the wiki plug in serves the purpose, and along with the wordpress post columns plug in (http://www.samburdge.co.uk/wordpress/wp-post-columns-plugin), came up with this (http://www.124bpms.com/links-wiki/), sort of a links wiki.
You probably won't have as many links as I am going to include here, but if you are building a resource page, or do have a bunch, I think the combination of plug ins lays it out nicely.

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Update:

I found a glitch in the system. Not sure if it's the wiki plug in, or my blog, but when activated, it seems not to want cooperate with large posts or pages, and it won't post the information when you save....blank page, just the title. Not Good.

I'll see if I can get a find out what is going on, and report back.

vangogh
04-19-2009, 04:23 PM
how would the wiki differ from plain old email?

Like eborg said they're two different things. The wiki would allow for a sort of central management of a project. Imagine 5 people all working on a project. With email you can make sure to send changes and updates to everyone, but it's easier to make a change once to a page and let everyone log in to see that page.

if you do a lot of directory submissions, or link exchanges

Why would you bother with either? Sure submit to some directories, but link exchanges? Not really all that effective any more. Also unless you're going to take the time to build a directory where you editorially review the submissions you're directory becomes less than useful, which is how search engines will likely see it.

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Why would you bother with either? Sure submit to some directories, but link exchanges? Not really all that effective any more. Also unless you're going to take the time to build a directory where you editorially review the submissions you're directory becomes less than useful, which is how search engines will likely see it.

Well, mine is more like a reference page, not necessarily a link exchange..radio stations, publications, and a list of industry people on Twitter, so it will get a little bigger than a normal blog roll...I learned my lesson, I will never put links that don't make money on my home page ever again..