PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on the startup

Vapein
12-16-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm in need of some help I don't exactly have all the knowledge I need to get into the business and would like some feedback from other entrepreneurs or indie video game developers. I want to start my own indie video game company, however the issue is that I'm not sure what all forms I would need to fill out. Basically the steps of it all. Do I start with trademarking the name either through a lawyer or a site like legal zoom? Then off to the IRS to get a EIN? Do I then need to go to the county office to get a business licence? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Notes:
currently living in United States
have taken small business administration courses at college for now,
business will be entirely online

SmallBizOrg
12-18-2014, 11:07 PM
Here is a good resource for you:

https://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/starting-managing-business

We also have a blog post about starting a business, not sure if i could post it here though.

Hope this helps.

TAAccounting
12-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Vapein,

Congrats on your business! I am an accountant who specializes in working with start-ups and I can definitely give you some pointers.

First, if you are serious about the business and have the working capital, you will need to register with your state first. Usually, the "State Secretary" will allow you to form a company within the state for a nominal fee ($50 in Missouri).

Once you have your charter ID which is given by the state, you can acquire an EIN through the IRS (they will require the Charter ID). With both State Charter ID & EIN, you can now approach a lawyer about trademark ideas. I suggest lawyer because Legal Zoom has been sued several times in the past for messing up legal documents -- I know because I was one of the accountant brought in to access the damage of a lawsuit.

From there, you just have to determine how to make money and when you do -- you'll need a bank account open with your EIN to put the money in.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any additional help!

Best Regards,
Tran Nguyen
Accountant
TransActions Accounting LLC (http://www.TAAccounting.com)