PDA

View Full Version : Need a fresh set of eyes

Harold Mansfield
12-12-2014, 05:27 PM
It's time to update all of my web properties. I've been letting the URL of my names sake fall into disrepair and it was time to get something on it.
It's a theme and I didn't do a lot of customization on it. I just wanted to get something simple, or at least that's what I'm going for...something really simple to understand and understand quickly.

Target market for this particular site is small businesses with not a lot of tech savvy.
Any feedback is appreciated.

haroldmansfield(dot)com

Thanks in advance.
By the way, I'm aware of a few responsive issues. Will get them fixed over the weekend.

Freelancier
12-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah, that was a sloooooow load.

It's clever, but distracting. The shifting home page backgrounds make the already-hard-to-read text harder to read. I'm not a big fan of books using large print either.

The header blocks part of each page, I'm sure you'll get that worked out.

The big thing is the "main message" seems to be buried. Answer this question: Why you instead of someone else? Make that the reason why people will want to look past the first page. For example, we offer a money-back guarantee. That's on the home page, because it's a HUGE differentiator with my competition. What's your differentiator?

I like that you put the phone number at the top. Does it link on mobile to call you?

Harold Mansfield
12-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Yeah, that was a sloooooow load.
Edited: I think I fixed it. Thanks.

It's clever, but distracting. The shifting home page backgrounds make the already-hard-to-read text harder to read. I'm not a big fan of books using large print either.
I thought so. Easy fix.

The header blocks part of each page, I'm sure you'll get that worked out.
Can you send me a screenshot of how you're seeing it and what you're looking at it on? Would be helpful.

The big thing is the "main message" seems to be buried. Answer this question: Why you instead of someone else? Make that the reason why people will want to look past the first page. For example, we offer a money-back guarantee. That's on the home page, because it's a HUGE differentiator with my competition. What's your differentiator?

Well that's definitely not what I want on my home page, but I understand what you're saying...you think I need a hook.

Does it link on mobile to call you?

Don't all phones call any number that's in standard phone number format? My last 3 phones did. Isn't that a default feature in Android and Apple phones?

Harold Mansfield
12-12-2014, 09:26 PM
I darkened the images and added more shadow to the text to see if that helps.
I don't want to do a shadow box so I may have to get new images that aren't so busy behind the text area.

Freelancier
12-12-2014, 10:14 PM
The issue with the way the header was overlapping part of the page appears to be gone. I'm looking at it on Chrome for Windows.

The black background with the lightbulb also doesn't look right ... makes it looks spooky. The "code is poetry" background is the most problematic background I think.

And, yes, I think you need a reason for people to think you're something more than just a web consultant like everyone else so that they want to explore your site further. Getting them to page 3 usually means you're getting a call (that's been my experience).

As for the phone numbers, beats me. I didn't look on a mobile device, just wanted to make sure it got checked and adjusted if something was needed so that the mobile browser would get you that call faster.

Harold Mansfield
12-12-2014, 10:21 PM
And, yes, I think you need a reason for people to think you're something more than just a web consultant like everyone else so that they want to explore your site further. Getting them to page 3 usually means you're getting a call (that's been my experience).

I actually kind of do that before they get to the site. At least for this site.
My main site I take a different approach and I agree with you 100%. I actually try to get them on page 1 without looking any further.

I'll test out some different images over the weekend.
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

nealrm
12-13-2014, 10:19 AM
In general it looked good. A couple of small issues on your contact page. For invalid input, the red text is hard to read and the words in the yellow bordered box at the bottom were complete unreadable. Same goes for the green bordered box when a message is successfully sent.

Harold Mansfield
12-13-2014, 10:48 AM
In general it looked good. A couple of small issues on your contact page. For invalid input, the red text is hard to read and the words in the yellow bordered box at the bottom were complete unreadable. Same goes for the green bordered box when a message is successfully sent.
Fixed. Thanks.

nealrm
12-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Also - I sent an email to you via your form.

Harold Mansfield
12-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Also - I sent an email to you via your form.
Yep, got it. Form works. Thanks

Harold Mansfield
12-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Still testing background images. Decided to go light instead of dark. Funny thing is I do that all the time with my own stuff..start out dark and end up light no matter how much I know light is better.