PDA

View Full Version : Review our website

Chris0
12-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Please take a look at our site and tell us your opinion. It's logicsedge.com

Thanks

vangogh
12-11-2014, 01:52 PM
It looks good. I like how the images mimic your logo. However that's as much of the page that displays without scrolling and there's nothing at the top to really tell me who you are. Scrolling down I see you design logos, but I wouldn't make that connection with your company name. I point this out, because I think the site as whole could use more content.

Assuming I was a potential client instead of a fellow designer, I wouldn't come away from the site with any real sense of who you are and what you do. Looking through the site I realize the business is new. I take it there's not a lot you could add to a portfolio at the moment. However, you could design some logos for imaginary companies if you want or take on a couple of pro bono projects just to have something in a portfolio.

Beyond logo design, what other design services do you offer? You mention business cards, but I don't see anything else. I also see a mention of redesign, but redesign of what? A logo? Website?

Remember that potential clients don't know you or what you do. They don't know industry jargon either. They're going to land on the site with a lot of questions and the site needs to have a response to as many of those questions as possible.

Visually the site looks great. The only issue I see is the larger text inside the popups isn't smooth. Otherwise everything looks great. I think the focus for improving the site should mainly be in the content. More of it to answer the questions people have.

Hope that helps.

JC
12-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Please take a look at our site and tell us your opinion. It's logicsedge.com

Thanks

It's a visually beautiful site! Some people will want to see examples of your work, so I suggest putting some up once you get some.

Harold Mansfield
12-11-2014, 02:20 PM
I agree with VG. It looks great for you...if you're the only person looking at it and you're only looking to show it to other people in the company who already know all about you, but as a potential client it doesn't tell me anything or entice me to want to spend my time trying to figure it out.
It's a lot of wasted space that you aren't using to your advantage. All style and no substance.

Also, the images are nice but they don't convey any association with design, social media or anything else web related. Looks more like a site for a photographer.

I'm not a big fan of contact forms as the only way to contact a supposedly full time business, but if that's all you're going to offer you have to give people a reason to want to use the one method of communication that they hate the most...and that's filling out forms and waiting to hear back from someone. Your design, and copy have to be not only completely informative, but so compelling that it makes them want to wait to hear back from you to do business with you. Very few people pull that off.

JMO of course.

Chris0
12-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks everyone for their feedback. I think It's clear that content is what needs work, so that's where my attention will be.

vangogh
12-11-2014, 08:04 PM
If it helps this is how I go about writing content for my own sites.

Start by thinking through all the possible pages you might want to include. Even if you think you won't create the page, write it down anyone. Then with each possible page write down what the page is trying to do. What do you want people to do when they land on the page? What's the goal of the page? Then jot down some notes about what you might say on the page. You can list everything as bullet points. When you're doing this don't censor yourself. Write everything down. This is more brainstorming than anything else.

When you have a bunch of pages and notes start looking through everything and organizing what you write. Look for themes in your notes to organize. Get rid of a few things you don't really need, add a few other things as you think of them.

Spend more than an hour on all this. I find it's best to allow some time to pass between each time you added more notes or organized them. It lets you look over everything with a fresh eye. Little by little turn your notes into sentences and the next thing you know you have finished content all written.

The hard part is figuring out what to say, but don't feel like it has to all come at once.

Harold Mansfield
12-11-2014, 08:19 PM
I'll add to that...put yourself in the shoes of a complete stranger who knows nothing about you and is seeing your business online for the first time.

Imagine that they are looking at other service providers...because they are.
What do you want them to know about you, your business and your services that will make them stop in their tracks, look no further, and contact you?

If it were you, what information would you want to see? What would give you the confidence that you want to reach out to this person, that they are professional, that they understand your needs, that they can help you or solve your problem?

And then, say it in as few words as possible while still satisfying the min requirement for search engines to index that page.
....and don't forget a CLEAR call to action that is visible on or from every page.

It's simple, but simple actually takes a lot of time and thought.

Chris0
12-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Both of you have put writing content in perspective for me. I will try out your method vangogh while keeping the prospective client mentality that Harold advocates for in mind. Once I update the site I will ask for another review. Thanks again, guys.