PDA

View Full Version : How do companies gain a solid reputation - subconscious advertising?

Davidl
12-03-2014, 05:43 AM
1. most huge retail companies have a solid reputation but what does it take to get such a big following in terms of the psychological aspect in where the demographic sees your company to have more "value" whether in the goods or more importantly the culture. How do they cultivate this culture and get it to thrive. Its very hard to pinpoint.. but I am influenced by certain brands like nike, levis, apple and they all give out a different vibe that is secure, trendy and state of the art.

2. Is it years of business? press? brand awareness? How much research do companies put into it - I remember a study done on smells for consumer behaviour, are there anything in this type of category that all brands do to get that edge?

3.It feels like its nearly 100 percent psychological and subconscious. If anything Id like a view point on this - how does one subconsciously give out these values and culture to differentiate in a market where so many people sell similar items.

4.How can the little guy compete if they plan to get marketshare and compete with the leaders and the near competitors (to get in the small niche market)? what are some immediate ways and small tweaks or changes that can get the ball rolling.

Freelancier
12-03-2014, 07:40 AM
You know there are books written about how to create and sustain a brand, right? There's a reason it requires a book to explain it. There are so many details involved and so many different paths to getting there.

How can the little guy compete if they plan to get market share and compete with the leaders and the near competitors (to get in the small niche market)?Little guys -- SMART little guys -- don't start out competing with the big dogs unless the little guy isn't so little and has deep pockets.

Little guys start out by defining a niche that's being underserved or ignored by the big dogs, charging a premium their products in that niche market (which they can get because there's little competition in that market), getting a reputation by customers who need exactly what's being offered, and then expanding beyond that niche once they get some deep pockets to fund that expansion.

Think about the market when Home Depot got started: a bunch of mom-and-pop lumberyards, small-town hardware stores, Ace hardware, that's about it. All of those provided a limited set of products, but wonderful customer service. So they invented their niche: a HUGE retail store with everything you could want but limited service. That's their basic brand (ignoring the orange color of their logo, which is a separate topic). Once they proved that the concept was profitable, they went out and got a ton of money from venture capitalists so they could expand at a tremendous rate. Now they define the market and the smaller stores are considered "niche". But it took a ton of money to get there. And their basic brand hasn't really changed.

shrinkme
12-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Read about Nordstrom's customer service... We have always tried to model them. Mainly the idea is not to f#^& up. Execute perfectly and when you have problems, work with the customer to resolve them to their satisfaction. Once you do that make sure the problem will never happen again if possible.

We tend to believe our customers... even when the situation is not believable. I had one customer that we sent tracked and the post office delivered to her door, customer did not receive. Sent a second shipment, never arrived. Finally worked with the customer and sent Fedex and it got there. They had some problems with mail delivery. One of the packages came back.

You would think it would be expensive to do business like this but we get a lot of referrals and the problems are few and far between.

Davidl
12-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Thank you both.

Shrinkme - I had issues on the customer side of things and its frustrating when customer service don't believe you from the second you speak. Its good that you do things right :)

freelancier - The information tends to sink in more if I get some different opinions and view points first and then jump into some books or take a course. I will look into a few books. Are there any must reads that you can recommend on this subject or marketing in general?

Paul
12-03-2014, 05:48 PM
You know there are books written about how to create and sustain a brand, right? There's a reason it requires a book to explain it. There are so many details involved and so many different paths to getting there.

Little guys -- SMART little guys -- don't start out competing with the big dogs.....

Little guys start out by defining a niche that's being underserved or ignored by the big dogs.

Absolutely!

Don't even try to compete with branding on their level and don't get too wrapped up in the psychology of branding. Branding is useless if your product or service doesn't hold up. Focus first on local or niche reputation.

The best weapon a small company has compared to a big company is being nimble and repsonsive, not only to customers but to market and industry trends. You can beat them at that game sometimes. Big companies can become lethargic and slow moving while liitle guys can move quick.

Freelancier
12-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Are there any must reads that you can recommend on this subject or marketing in general?One of the few books I kept from my MBA was Strategic Market Management by David Aaker (http://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Market-Management-Managment/dp/0471177431/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417696553&sr=1-4&keywords=strategic+market+management) (the newer editions are ridiculously priced and how much could have changed?). It's not a fun read, but it explains a lot about strategic competitive advantage, how to differentiate yourself, and how brand equity works, so it'll hit most of your hot-button issues for this topic. SCA and differentiation are huge for helping you determine how to create a brand that supports what you're doing.

Davidl
12-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks il take a look.

Blessed
12-04-2014, 09:19 PM
I actually read an article today by Peter Shankman that touches on some of these topics. You definitely need to read more than just this article - I'd check into some of Shankman's books, in addition to the other book that Freelancier mentioned. I've been reading Shankman's blog posts lately and he's got a lot of good stuff to say. Here's the article
How Your Business Can Be Better Than Everyone Else's This Holiday Season (http://shankman.com/how-your-business-can-be-better-than-everyone-else-s-this-holiday-season/)

Harold Mansfield
12-05-2014, 12:10 PM
2. Is it years of business? press? brand awareness?
Yes.

How much research do companies put into it - I remember a study done on smells for consumer behaviour, are there anything in this type of category that all brands do to get that edge?
The put a LOT of research into it. But it's not trickery and "subliminal" advertising. It's putting out a good product, having good customer service, years and years of marketing and brand building. Plain and simple, they put the work in to be a trusted brand and back it up in their products and services.

3.It feels like its nearly 100 percent psychological and subconscious. If anything Id like a view point on this - how does one subconsciously give out these values and culture to differentiate in a market where so many people sell similar items.
There are many things that we subconsciously have specific reactions to, but successful companies aren't tricking you into liking them. What they are doing is called marketing. But marketing only goes so far if the product or service sucks.

4.How can the little guy compete if they plan to get marketshare and compete with the leaders and the near competitors (to get in the small niche market)? what are some immediate ways and small tweaks or changes that can get the ball rolling.
If you are trying to capitalize in a small niche market you aren't competing with the big brands so why would you waste money trying instead of building the niche that you are talking about? Everyone is not your competition just because they may happen to do the same or a similar thing as you do.

Davidl
12-06-2014, 08:41 AM
thanks harold. number 4 didn't make any sense once i read it back again. What about if I was a brand new company (non niche market) why would consumers pick me over the guy that already has good reputation being in business for several years if they offer similar services (random hypothetical example: Nike opens up in 1980s and in 2005 adidas opened up shop and has not as good a selection, not as much capital, lower status. How would adidas gain its reputation like it has now when there are other competitors that dominate the market and B. what would adidas have to do different now that they are the little guys. Would the adidas we see today be different if adidas opened in 2005?

Im trying to get a bit into the psychology of why people gravitate towards a brand. It seems like a number of factors come into play but it varies from person to person. I guess what I'm trying to do is get down to the core of human behaviour of consumers and from there I can get a better understanding of how to affectively market something.

Im starting to understand the concept a little more now that I thought about it for longer. Companies will try to follow a certain type of "style" for lack of a better word and from there everything that they do is to try to create that certain style in their advertising, website, packaging, product and whole presentation. Like for example a luxury bag, will have packaging thats sleek, a product thats finely crafted, website that well made, logo/ stylistic identity that is recognizable and lastly advertising that conveys being in a group/clique that gives emotional value which is where most of the advertising is going to be based (nike-> inspiration, health, strength and courage Rolls royce-> luxury, travel, comfort, timelessness)

The last step is a byproduct of the marketing which would be how the brand is interpreted by the consumer and feedback is taken.

Freelancier
12-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Effective Emotional Branding (http://www.marketingprofs.com/articles/2014/26405/five-tips-for-effective-emotional-branding)
Maybe this is a good starting point (there's also a link in there to a good article with more specifics).

tallen
12-06-2014, 11:02 AM
random hypothetical example: Nike opens up in 1980s and in 2005 adidas opened up shop and has not as good a selection, not as much capital, lower status. How would adidas gain its reputation like it has now when there are other competitors that dominate the market and B. what would adidas have to do different now that they are the little guys.

I think a new-comer to an established market (sports shoes) builds its reputation not by trying to compete across the full range (at least not initially), but by focusing on particular niche segments of the market (e.g. soccer cleats) by offering a superior product that attracts the attention of the "trend setters" (e.g. professional athletes). Once established as the market leader in a particular niche, then they can use that as a springboard to a broader market segment.... (e.g. consumer thinks, "Adidas makes the best soccer cleats, I'll bet their tennis shoes are good, too.").

I think a key in many consumer product areas probably is getting the "trendsetters" on board. Obviously the best way to do this is to make a superior product that they would want to use anyways; or you could just try to buy their endorsement even if your product is not that good. Of course, the real trendsetters will try to steer clear of endorsing crap. My take, for what it is worth.

Freelancier
12-06-2014, 11:04 AM
that attracts the attention of the "trend setters"Or you do what Nike does and just buy their endorsement and build custom shoes for them.

Harold Mansfield
12-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Nike started off as a running shoe and in the beginning that was their niche. They used that popularity and sales to grow into Tennis, Basketball and other sports. Where they really exploded on the market was with celebrity athlete endorsements at a time when no other athletic shoe company was doing it on that level. They really got where they are today with the success of Jordans. That was probably the best marketing move of any company of the last 50 years. Then they hit gold again with Tiger Woods and their golf products and clothing.

But it's not just the big endorsements. They make a decent shoe, have a ton of variety, and are in every sport. I've worn just about every sneaker brand at one time or another and personally I swear by Nike's. They feel good on my feet and I can wear them out of the box and they are comfortable from the first step. It seems like I have to break other brands in, and they don't last as long. They also make the styles I like in my size. But that's just me.

Adidas does the same thing, but couldn't compete with Nike doing the exact same thing. They actually had considerable success in the 80's with Hip Hop culture. Many of the first major rappers ( like Run DMC) promoted Adidas and they tapped into a market that Nike wasn't even a mention in.

Since then they've found their marketing niche with Soccer, and College Football Team endorsements and product placement among others. Adidas is not a little guy. Maybe not as popular in the US for casual shoe wearers the way Nike is, but they hold their own around the world especially with soccer fans. So does Puma.

Reebok hit the market as an aerobics shoe targeting women at a time when no one was targeting women for sneakers, and grew from there.

The name of the game is "Get in where you fit in". You will never be able to compete in the exact same space as someone with considerably more resources than you unless you have a better or original product and a way to get it in front of people. You have to find your unique selling position to exploit and capitalize on. Part of marketing is understanding human behavior, but that doesn't take the place of product development. Generally the market will dictate the success of a better product if the company is prepared for that success.

There are no easy answers and it isn't just one thing. It's fine to emulate some aspects of sucessful marketing, but ultimately you aren't going to be successful by just cookie cutting someone elses ideas.

Ted Perrotti
12-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Little guys -- SMART little guys -- don't start out competing with the big dogs unless the little guy isn't so little and has deep pockets.

Little guys start out by defining a niche that's being underserved or ignored by the big dogs, charging a premium their products in that niche market (which they can get because there's little competition in that market), getting a reputation by customers who need exactly what's being offered, and then expanding beyond that niche once they get some deep pockets to fund that expansion.

Thanks for that insight, Freelancer--I'm actually searching out my freelance writing business's niche as we speak.

MattAmbrose
12-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Check out 'Start with Why' by Simon Sinek. He also did a TED talk on the subject. He references many of the brands you mention and says that their success lies in the deeper reason they exist beyond just making money, and how this finds its way into their products and marketing. Having a 'reason why' the brand exists gives it a deeper meaning beyond slick advertising or what the product actually does e.g. why else would people get Harley Davidson tatoos and why Apple owners see its logo as a means of self identity. Having said that, you still need to communicate this to your market, which takes a lot of time and money.

Kumar Palani
02-09-2015, 08:50 AM
1. most huge retail companies have a solid reputation but what does it take to get such a big following in terms of the psychological aspect in where the demographic sees your company to have more "value" whether in the goods or more importantly the culture. How do they cultivate this culture and get it to thrive. Its very hard to pinpoint.. but I am influenced by certain brands like nike, levis, apple and they all give out a different vibe that is secure, trendy and state of the art.

2. Is it years of business? press? brand awareness? How much research do companies put into it - I remember a study done on smells for consumer behaviour, are there anything in this type of category that all brands do to get that edge?

I am quoting your question for it is one of the best questions I had come across. Its good to speak about value, branding and culture but most businesses and marketers are worried about sales and money (and nothing else).

Let me try to provide a few points.. Branding is vital and it will play a crucial role in winning leads and more, a company with greater reputation will easily reach more people and convert greater number of them even with a small spending on marketing campaign.

People always love brands, and follow them easily (almost madly), for instance at the price of Apple iPhone you can buy phones of with greater options on Android (although I surely accept the quality and security of apple), but apple's brand will always have buyers motivated no matter what their competitors offer. Brand is crucial part of marketing and it is not that hard or impossible to build brand name for your product/company.

Press Release, Public Relations, Social Media, Blogging, Infographic and live events are all set to play a crucial role in building brand and reputation (that includes culture).

Content Strategy and Branding
A company's Content writers and content Marketing strategy plays a crucial role in branding efforts. For instance take a look at a small business's (hotel, mall, or more) Facebook page, you will find lots of things about them, their products and more. But have a look at a brand and you will find more information related to their brand, product and niche, than direct posts about them. This is critical especially for Social Media, its said 80% information (entertainment, info, news and more) and 20% Marketing (mostly no-direct marketing, and about your company/product/brand (office functions and more) and culture) this will increase your audience and pave way for easier branding and lead generation.

To me one of the most common reasons for small business firms inability in brand building is lack of proper content strategy and presentation. Start with customer analysis, understand your audience and know what he/she wants to hear, what they love, what they will hate (*commonly) and and craft your contents accordingly.

pushtheproduct
07-29-2015, 04:48 AM
It is relentless product placement. With the deals, no parking, commercials and other trinkets of commerce. Wal-mart has an association with stretching dollars and that is what people seek them out for. COmpanies understand how to compete in their target demographic and then expand from the gray areas.