PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Google Inbox? What do you think?

Harold Mansfield
11-26-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm always pretty unimpressed with yet another email client, or new way to "organize your inbox", but I've been using it for about a week and I actually like it on my phone, over the normal gmail.

The one thing I still can't figure out is how it grabs all of my emails across all of my accounts, all my social media emails, and forum notices even from emails that aren't set up on my phone at all. That's kind of creepy, but it is actually a much better email client for mobile.

I still like Outlook for my desktop and laptop.

Anyone else trying it out?
What do you think?

amandab
11-26-2014, 03:54 PM
I was really excited when I got it, but so far I have been unimpressed. There isn't anything that has really stood out to me as an innovative feature. The bundling was something I was looking forward to but having used it I don't find a huge value add in it.

Evan
11-28-2014, 12:22 AM
Didn't hear of it until now but it looks like it'd hold some promise. You can largely do a lot of the same things by setting up a ton of rules if you know what you're doing. It is nice to see they're trying to move e-mails into more "to dos" and improve those capabilities to make it look quite similar to Todoist in terms of capabilities.

Until I get a chance to try it, I'm not sure what I'll actually think of it. I do like the current Gmail where it does separate e-mails of my "normal" chain and what's clearly promotional, from forums, etc. as that does help reduce the clutter. What I don't like is on my phone is that you don't ever have a "local copy" so if you turn your phone in airplane mode, you can't read anything.

will.i.earn
11-28-2014, 02:11 AM
I used it for a few days until I discovered the deal breakers.

You can't send from different email address and there's no way to add a signature.

I tried to convince myself that it's meant for mobile. But then I noticed attachments opens much faster in the old app. That's when I reverted back to the old gmail on everything.

Brian Altenhofel
11-28-2014, 04:20 PM
I still haven't received an invite :'(

Harold Mansfield
11-29-2014, 11:28 AM
You can't send from different email address and there's no way to add a signature.

I hadn't noticed that part yet and now I see it. That's disappointing.

Harold Mansfield
12-02-2014, 12:13 PM
I still haven't received an invite :'(

Brian I see that I have the ability to invite others. PM me your gmail address and I'll send you an invite. Hopefully they're still good.

Brian Altenhofel
12-31-2014, 01:41 AM
For the most part, it seems like just a better UI, though I admit I haven't really had the time to explore much.

I did find a nice feature today: snooze. I received an email with a very nice special offer from a store that I order from regularly, but it doesn't expire until next week. I didn't really have time for it, and usually when that happens I forget about it. This time, I snoozed it and scheduled it to come back Monday when I'll (hopefully) be less busy.

Harold Mansfield
01-22-2015, 06:45 PM
After a couple of months now, I've decided that I hate it. It's bringing in emails from accounts that I don't even have registered anywhere on my phone and I cannot make it stop.
All my emails in the same inbox is not what I want at all, if I did I could simply forward them all there. I'm uninstalling it because apparently I can't turn it off either. It's either running or not.

Brian Altenhofel
01-22-2015, 07:35 PM
It's only pulling from my Gmail account on mine.

Harold Mansfield
01-22-2015, 07:46 PM
It's only pulling from my Gmail account on mine.

That's what I wanted. It it was just my gmail accounts that would be fine. But it's pulling emails from my business/work accounts that I don't even use my phone for, nor are they emails that are log ins for any apps and I can't figure out how or why. When I go to settings under accounts only one email account is there. But it's pulling from at least 3 accounts.