PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are social media sites a big waste of time?

FlyingKite
11-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Seriously, it feels like every company out there is desperate for my social interaction. But do I really want to socially interact with my tea bag supplier, margarine maker or dishwasher manufacturer? No!! So why do they keep asking me to 'like' them on facebook...

Am I missing something?

Any thoughts?

JC
11-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Seriously, it feels like every company out there is desperate for my social interaction. But do I really want to socially interact with my tea bag supplier, margarine maker or dishwasher manufacturer? No!! So why do they keep asking me to 'like' them on facebook...

Am I missing something?

Any thoughts?

The more "likes" the more important your business looks in the eyes of some. I've never been impressed with Facebook but do have a page for my customers that I post pics of jobs on from time to time.

Harold Mansfield
11-24-2014, 06:23 PM
To answer your first question, yes social media can be a huge time waste.
But there are some things that I'm in to that I want to follow and do appreciate getting updates on what is happening with them.
No, probably not who makes my butter, but I enjoy getting tech and industry related updates. I probably follow too many political sites on Facebook...definitely gets depressing after while, but I like getting updates from things like XBOX, Microsoft, Samsung, Android, and the musical artists and DJ's that I follow and so on.

I can see why some people would follow products, especially if they are always offering coupons, specials, recipes and so on.

It's definitely easier than visiting their websites everyday, and it's less intrusive than constant email newsletters and text alerts. And it keeps me informed on what is happening.
But that's just me.

Although after 5 p.m. and on weekends I don't want anything to do with any of it.

It is true that not every company needs a Facebook page. Especially if they have no plan or purpose to do anything with it.

FlyingKite
11-25-2014, 05:17 AM
I do follow some 3d, animation and design stuff on facebook and twitter. I just feel sorry for all those companies who have desperately boring mundane products but are forced into Social Media. I still remember when having a website was all that was needed... long time ago now...

Freelancier
11-28-2014, 06:28 AM
I just feel sorry for all those companies who have desperately boring mundane products but are forced into Social MediaNo one is forcing them to do it. They're choosing to do it because someone told them they had to be on social media. Which is nonsense, of course. Some companies do better on social media because they have a plan where they use social media to drive real sales -- instead of using social media to hope that someone notices them. But like any marketing activity, you have to have a plan, execute the plan, follow through on all the details... it has to be part of the overall marketing strategy or it'll be a #FAIL.

ludovic
12-02-2014, 11:55 PM
To be honest, I don't like social media but I force myself to post some stuff for my business as people seems to love it.
Otherwise, it's complicated to reach people in a free way

shrinkme
12-03-2014, 11:33 AM
We have social media sites. Once in a blue moon we get a hit from them. Twitter actually seems the best for some reason.

FirstPortMarketing
12-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Some people are missing the point now. Having a social media page today isn't all about getting people to follow you. For many many businesses, it is a sign of legitimacy -- the "yes, I'm here!" "yes, we're open!" signal that a younger generation seeks out.

Imagine you're looking for a new Doggie Daycare center for your pup. Instead of searching the Yellow Pages, you're going to Google "doggie daycare in (town)". Up come about twenty listings you could check out, all with websites. But websites aren't updated every day, so where do you go next? Facebook.

Facebook is where you're either going to find many pictures of happy, healthy dogs and great kennel conditions, or you're going to find a "claimed" page with one status update from 2011. Your Facebook page doesn't have to have many likes for it to have legitimacy. The regular updates, the reviews, and the comments all give it legitimacy. This is what people are looking for on your Facebook page.

Are you a photographer? Post your recent work. Thank the bride and groom from your last wedding shoot. Mechanic? Post a picture of that destroyed engine you replaced. Restaurant? Today's special. Facebook is your portfolio, and whether they like your page or not, people are going to look at it!

Will you see direct referrals from Facebook in your Analytics? Not really. Because you shouldn't be linking to your site from Facebook too often. But you'll see more direct visits, and total visits. And to these people, you have already passed the 'legitimacy' test -- so they're further down the funnel than you think.

ybmindframe
12-08-2014, 09:17 PM
I don't think it's a waste at all. Maybe the methods you use but I find clients and reader easily. I Was having a hard time at first but the I go used on mastering one site at the time. I found that Instagram was by far the easiest thanks to the hash tag. Twitter being next and Facebook last. (IMO) Most of the social sites tie into each other so you don't have to constantly check each one. I use hoots unite to keep up with majority of my accounts.

LarsJ
12-09-2014, 01:51 PM
My opinion... If people are going to look for a business or some kind of service provider they are going to be using Google and google maps or Yelp etc. They want to know where they are, what their website is and what reviews they have. All that done via Google. If they don't have a Facebook page it's a bit "odd". They are not social nor engaging. You have to have a Facebook presence even though many businesses almost reluctantly have one. Unpaid friends and likes will help promote it and show that business is active. Websites need not be static with no updates however. An "active" and frequently updated website is easy to do.

Harold Mansfield
12-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Case and point, I hate Google Plus. It does nothing for me as a user what so ever, and no one else that I connect with professionally or socially uses it for much if anything.
Yet, I have a few G+ profiles personally and for business because Google has made it a point to make them a part of search which pretty much makes you have to have one.

Overall I have more social media accounts than I really want, but I have multiple business interests so it is a necessity.

billbenson
12-09-2014, 05:48 PM
But websites aren't updated every day, so where do you go next? Facebook.

Nothing says you can't update a website every day and you probably should. Take a food recipe site or blog. Both can be set up well in advance to have a new recipe of the day added automatically. Doesn't need to be automatic. Many Facebook pages are updated daily as daily events change. It's just as easy to add a blog post or web page as a Facebook post if you structure your site properly.

Most importantly, you have complete control of a website. Facebook can make changes that negatively affect you whenever they feel like it.

kluto
12-09-2014, 08:20 PM
I've been learning about social media and SEO and what I have learned and experienced is that regular posting and participation in social media helps with organic search. So if you care about being found online when someone "googles" or "yahooes" your business, definitely utilize social media.

automationhero
01-23-2015, 05:26 PM
If you like them then they have an easier chance to reach you again. Which they want to have multiple, consistent touch points with all of their customers so they can make more sales

ryantc
01-25-2015, 05:04 PM
I can understand your frustration. It all comes down to companies learning how to use social media networks correctly and efficiently.
Knowing their audience is what it is all about. This starts by choosing the right social media networks for their business / brand and creating a social media marketing plan that adds value to their customers rather than being a 'bother' online.

BradyArevalo
01-26-2015, 09:10 AM
I think most people have the idea “I need to get as many likes as possible” without really having an idea as to why they are doing it. I personally believe that likes are useless, unless you can somehow turn them into engagement for your specific brand.

veritasvisions
08-03-2015, 02:51 AM
Social media takes time. People want quick results but patience is the most important thing with social. Also, you have to create a legitimate sales funnel to get good results.

The Pocket Shot
08-03-2015, 09:59 AM
I know every business is different but for us social media is hugely important. Approx. 95% of our sales are online. If you have a "physical product" getting people to review it is important because the first thing people do when buying a product is look at the reviews. I know Amazon is where I typically go for everything. If I dont see 4 or 5 stars next to it I usually dont buy it. Its kind of crazy, but that's just the way it is today.

turboguy
08-03-2015, 12:08 PM
I have to agree with you about the reviews and when I want something I do the same as you do. I look on Amazon for the ones with high reviews and find those reviews highly helpful.

Sorry to go off topic but I also subscribe to Consumer Reports. The Amazon reviews tell me so much more. Actually I find Consumer Reports almost useless starting with the first thing I ever bought from their top rating which was a can opener that never seemed to be able to open cans to a top rated vacuum that wasn't very good and I could go on with disappointing top reviewed products. I probably would not put a lot of faith in a product with 2 or 3 reviews but when an item has hundreds of reviews I find I get a very good overview of the good and bad points of the product.

I do agree that if social media gives you reviews from your customers that can be a big plus and make the time it takes to participate quite a good investment.