PDA

View Full Version : Sales/Customer Managerment Software

Chimpie
04-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I previously used ACT from Sage to manage my customers/clients/referrals. It was a nice piece of software but I really didn't have the opportunity to use it to its fullest extent.

What have you used and what are your thoughts on it?

Steve B
04-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I use Outlook contacts. It works very well for my needs and it easily synchs up with my Blackberry. And, you probably already own it!

vangogh
04-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm using the basic address book on my Mac as well as my invoicing program. Given my business I don't really need a dedicated CRM program. For me it's more keeping track of basic contact info and some details necessary to access client websites.

Recently I downloaded a free application specifically meant to keep track of the site details, though I haven't installed it yet. I may at some point purchase CRM software, but it's hard to justify at the moment since it's not something I really need.

rezzy
04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I use Sage in my office, but not for sales. We have adapted the software to meet out own needs. Steven what do you use for invociing? An online program or something you paid for?

mr.ro
04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I use google apps and my blackberry. They have a sync program that works the same way like outlook, except for the fact I'm not tide down to 1 computer or phone for that matter, and it sincs to my bb apps without a hicup.

Since I went through a hard drive crash I'm not trying to go through that again. Now I use online programs and such to avoid this. If you own a blackberry I would give google apps a try.

billbenson
04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm kind of responding to girish's question in another thread that Vangoghpointed to this thread. She was asking about "light" office management software for a small business.

If you don't have any inside programmers, I would suggest either advanced Excel or Access (or some other db program). A lot of people know how to use excel, so it is a good route in many cases. It can be set up with many interlinked sheets, security etc. Effectively it is a crude database at that point.

A database is a better solution. Access is a db that comes with office. You can work your way through a dummies book and figure it out or take a class. If you want to interlink a website to it (say you want field sales people to enter activity info), Access is also available on Windows based websites. There are also other databases that you can use which will work on other servers. They will need to be programmed in code though. Access has a GUI interface to make things easier for the non programmers.

I recommend the database type of solution, because you can cultivate it to meet your exact needs which may change over time. The downside is its not plug and play, so a database will require more time and resources to get set up.

girish
04-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Hello Everybody,

Most common tool seems to be excel followed by custom software using access. The main deterrent with these tools is managing multiple users/employees accessing information. But great for solo setups, and less than 5 people biz. So what we are trying to do is build a simple and maintenance free crm tool for multiple users, I'm currently gathering feedback on what people are using and how effective it is.

I do not want to drop a link to our product yet, we're still developing..

vangogh
04-09-2009, 01:02 AM
I'll offer a few more details about what I'm doing. At the moment I'm using a few different applications for CRM. For every client I create a folder which holds everything I need for that client. For awhile I kept a generic file in each with all the basic contact info and other info I need like usernames and passwords for sites. That started to break down so I moved much of it to the basic Address Book on Mac. It allows me to add basic contact info and some notes where I can save additional info.

For the last few years I've been using an application on my site for billing and invoicing called Client Exec (http://www.newedge.com/clientexec/index.html). It does a good job, but it was developed more for a hosting business and now that I stopped offering hosting it doesn't quite do what I want as well as I want. Right not it functions most as a way for me to process credit cars.

I added a desktop invoicing program called Billings (http://www.billingsapp.com/). I'm still learning the program, but I like the invoices it creates. It connects nicely to the Address Book so I can easily import contacts. It does have time management features, though I've yet to use them. Time management is done through a stop watch and I prefer to add my start and end times manually. I've downloaded a few freebies, though I'm still looking for a simple time management app.

Those are really the basics of what I need. If Billings allowed me to manually track time instead of having to go through the stopwatch and if it could process credit cards and functioned as a POS application it would handle all my needs. I guess handling accounting or being able to connect with an accounting application would be nice too.

My business is just me so I don't need the multiple users/employees at the moment, but it would be nice to have something that could handle a few others for the time when I may have employees.

I don't know how you're planning your application, but maybe a series of simple programs that each did one thing, but could share a common database or easily import/export information to each other. That way it could be more flexible for users and you'd have the option of selling programs individually or as a package. Maybe someone buys the simple time tracking and because they enjoy it come back to you for the invoicing and client management.

billbenson
04-09-2009, 01:38 AM
If you have multiple users and / or employees on multiple computers, whatever you do, the software should be on a server. That way multiple users have access to the information and you can give different users different permissions. There are a couple of networking people around here that should be able to elaborate on that if you are interested.

rezzy
04-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I am not sure if you are developing a system or looking for one off the shelf.

There are two choices for setting up a server enviroment, you can either have a server in your office or one that use someone elses setup. With a local one, you have to maintain it and unless configured to allow outside access, you may not be able to access it outside of your business network.

With a internet based host, you have to pay a monthly charge to maintain it but may face other issues with limitations. It really depends on what you want.

nighthawk
04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
If you have multiple users and / or employees on multiple computers, whatever you do, the software should be on a server. That way multiple users have access to the information and you can give different users different permissions. There are a couple of networking people around here that should be able to elaborate on that if you are interested.

You dont necessarily need a machine dedicated as a server to achieve this - you could also consider using someones workstation PC and installing the required "server" software on that. It will help save costs in the early days.

There are two choices for setting up a server enviroment, you can either have a server in your office or one that use someone elses setup. With a local one, you have to maintain it and unless configured to allow outside access, you may not be able to access it outside of your business network.

With a internet based host, you have to pay a monthly charge to maintain it but may face other issues with limitations. It really depends on what you want.

If you select a web based product, you can easily switch between the two if your needs change. You could run it locally as an intranet, then if you find you need to access it from outside the office, you could eaisly move it to your existing web host and run it from there. Web based products are also customiseable if needed. With a desktop application you cant modify it and are at the mercy of the software developers, with a web app you get the code, and can eaisly change it or integrate it with other products if need be.

Even if you host it locally, it should be a trivial task to allow remote access - simply enable "port forwarding" on your broadband router.

seema
04-14-2009, 03:53 AM
In this time there are many software related to mailing are in the market .Outlook ,thunderbird are the best option we used.

rezzy
04-14-2009, 09:38 AM
simply enable "port forwarding" on your broadband router.

Broadband router? You mean dial up is old news? :D J/K.

I wouldnt like opening up my network, allows the potential for hackers to mess me up. I am sure I would not make it secure enough and they would find a way in.

nighthawk
04-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Broadband router? You mean dial up is old news? :D J/K.

I wouldnt like opening up my network, allows the potential for hackers to mess me up. I am sure I would not make it secure enough and they would find a way in.

yes it is - move with the times :P

Not everyone knows what a router is, so I used "broadband router" so people would be clear what I ment. Many call them modems. Anyway, you can get many types of routers, so the term is valid :P