PDA

View Full Version : working in hell

huggytree
04-03-2009, 05:52 PM
ive got 2 jobs in the middle of Hell in Milwaukee,WI

right in the middle of the inner city. In the summer 1 dies per day...multiple people are shot per day...i think its in the top 10 worst.

one is a house which burned down (bad sign) and another is a factory which was vandalized...

in a good economy id never even consider working these neighborhoods, but right now i cant see turning down work...especially from new customers...

the new house i have $1k in security guard services added into the bid...4 days at $250 per day....it will take longer than that , but the other days will only be a few hours at a time and ill try to be gone before 10am (when they get up). im going to have a security guard stand next to my van all day...the customer is paying for this not me.

the factory is something im bidding on next week.....im hoping i can bring my van inside the building.

ive worked in these neighborhoods a couple of times before...usually we lock ourselves inside the house....ive had people walk into the house while were working a few times...they usually have a weird excuse when i say get out!

we dont have conceiled carry in WI yet.....im a believer in gun rights and am considering bringing a gun just incase its me or them...i would not shoot someone for taking my sawsall....im not going to jail over a $200 tool....

anyone with any suggestions or tips for working in Hellish neighborhoods?

i may get a security system for my van...ive considered it many times even without going into these neighborhoods

Steve B
04-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Doesn't sound like it's with the hassle or risk. I'd use the time you would have spent on this job trying to generate business in another area.

huggytree
04-03-2009, 09:12 PM
The problem is both jobs are from new customers.....this will be the first project from one and the 2nd project from the other...

neither work in these neighborhoods normally....it just happens to be the case this time...will it be a 1 time thing for each of them...one it will be....the other not...

one of these customers is a fire/water resto company.....ive been working on them for 6 months now...it just sucks that the first job opportunity is this...restoration companies pay very well...usually no competitive bidding...you bid, you win,you get paid in 30....they have high expectations when it comes to service..

both projects could fall through...ive had this before....why would anyone pay $250,000 for a new house in hell? it will be worth $150,000 the day after it closes....

Dan Furman
04-03-2009, 11:08 PM
If I felt - even a little - that I might want to carry a gun to a job, then I'm not doing the job. It's just that simple. And I have a carry permit and a gun.

Tough choice, for sure, but if it were me, I'd probably pass.

What does your wife think?

orion_joel
04-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Did you ever consider that you get the quote request from this type of company in this type of area. and win it without hassle, because of the area. Maybe they cannot find anyone else in the area that is even willing to go and quote.

greenoak
04-04-2009, 08:17 AM
i wouldnt think it was worth the hassle....or danger....but i can see the contractor connection too....
we buy from a guy who has to go deep into those places in chicago and it sounds awful ..
good luck...
ann

huggytree
04-04-2009, 08:23 AM
wife doesnt like it....contractors work in these area's every day....i have 2 friends who say its no big deal....40% unemployment is what i think they are up to there...on a week day there are so many people sitting/walking around its like a weekend.

even with the security guard you wouldnt do it?

Steve B
04-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't. Too much hassle and risk. Spend the time finding a normal assignment. If your contractors find someone else, so be it. Money isn't' everything and there are more contractors out there.

Dan Furman
04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
wife doesnt like it....

There's your answer.

contractors work in these area's every day....i have 2 friends who say its no big deal....40% unemployment is what i think they are up to there...on a week day there are so many people sitting/walking around its like a weekend.

No.

Think about this - lots of copper theft in the last year. Especially in depressed areas (people ripping out copper piping to buy drugs.) A plumber could be an attractive mark.

huggytree
04-05-2009, 08:10 AM
I would dump all of my unused tools & copper at my house before i leave..This house is a Cpvc job, so its only using 20' of copper in the whole house...

it will take me 15 minutes to dump all the copper out of my van

i know im coming up with excuses here....ive thought alot of this out already...im preparing...

ive bid these jobs before and they always fall through...the insurance company wont pay $250,000 to replace a $80,000 house.....house values in the core can be as little as $20,000

Steve B
04-05-2009, 01:55 PM
This reminds me of the famous Jack Benny joke where a robber sticks a gun in his chest and says "your money or you life" ----- Pause .....

Jack Benny finally says "wait a minute, I'm thinking".

cocoy
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
A buddy on mine does emergency elevator repairs. They use to send him down to the ghetto parts of DC at night all the time. After one company truck got stolen and one employee get mugged, he told his boss there was no way in hell he would go back there. His boss understood and he hasn't been back since. I don't think they go back there at night anymore. If you're stuck in an elevator call the fire department or wait until the morning.

Harold Mansfield
04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
wife doesnt like it....contractors work in these area's every day....i have 2 friends who say its no big deal....40% unemployment is what i think they are up to there...on a week day there are so many people sitting/walking around its like a weekend.

I grew up in Detroit in the 80's, so I doubt I would be all that freaked out, but even still there are certain precautions that one should always take....

1) Don't wear your good stuff. Any personal accessories, good watch, ipod, or anything that looks expensive..just leave it at home. This includes team jackets, and I don't now the area, but red and blue bandannas should probably be avoided as well.

2) Try and get your work done before 5pm, so you can get the hell out of there before the sun starts going down. ( I do that just driving through a bad neighborhood)

3) An alarm on your van full of tools was a good idea before you got this job. While you are there, don't wash it. Leave it dirty for the duration of the job. Also, back the van in so that when you open the back doors, the whole neighborhood behind you can't see inside your truck.(very important)

4) I am sure the whole neighborhood isn't crap, there has to be a few people around that look like they are just trying to get by and keep out of trouble...speak to them. Say hi every now and then. If there's any older people around that live in the area, or people that are not scary looking but are always around outside, or the front porch, nosy neighbors and such. make sure you say hello to them and be cordial..odds are they know everything that goes down in the area and probably get left alone, or they can be your best witness or friend if anything goes down.

5) Never tell anyone your work schedule, or how many days you'll be there.

A few guys I know that do home improvements, or the kind of work that may take them out of their comfort zone for a few days always plan on hiring a guy or 2 in the area...inevitably in crappy neighborhoods, one or 2 guys will ask if you have any work...if it's in the budget and you can let one of them clean up or something it's not a bad move, you still have to be a good judge of people.

....kids are always good for this. When I lived in FL, I did some supervisory work for a landscaper, and hiring a neighborhood kid for a day or 2 to help him make some extra money makes you the coolest guy around and people will definitely leave you alone. (I always told them I had to meet their parents (at least one) before I could let them work)...basic hiring principles still apply of course, don't hire a jack ass.

Just use basic common sense and be cordial to the people around you..sometimes it makes all the difference.

And hell yeah I would have taken the job.

bwat05
04-06-2009, 07:21 AM
I am in neighborhoods like this frequently.
I agree with getting in and out by noon. In my experiences, after 12:00 or 1:00 the neighborhoods get busy. And if you are there when school lets out, you increase your chances of having things stolen.
We have had vehicles stolen and locks damaged in a matter of minutes.
I am in Dayton, OH. Although its a small city the crime rate is as high as any big city.
I have packed up and left a jobsite before, usually when people start to gather near the site. Most of the time I have had no problems, and I usually have someone with me on the job fortunately.
I have gotten good at reading people like this and usually the groups dissapear after a little while.
It would be nice to get repeat business from the restoration company if you think it is worth it.
With a little luck perhaps there are other contractors working nearby. That always puts me at ease somewhat because in my mind I will have some help if I need it.

huggytree
04-06-2009, 09:45 AM
the houses dont have driveways...so either my van is in an alley or on the street in front of the house...everytime i open my van door the whole neighborhood can see...i have a 15' cube van with a garage door in the back...so when its open its REALLY open.

i like the advice on talking with neighbors...ill do that... thanks

rezzy
04-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Well huggy, it seems you are into completing the work. I want to give a few pointers, if they help thats a always a plus. Keep an eye for your surrounding. Be sure you know whos around you, coming and going at all times.

I couldnt imagine a job where the company hires me a security guard t o work.

huggytree
04-06-2009, 08:17 PM
its either the security guard or i dont do it...they want me...thats part of getting me!

its great to be loved.

i went to the factory job today to bid...yea its bad....i can bring my vehicle inside the building...so im safe....they tore everything out..plumbing,wiring, castiron piping..

the 5" roof drains (3 stories high) almost fell down on them...they smashed out 10' sections of all 5 roof drains...i have to bust up the floor to redo it....parts alone for the roof drains are $1k

they busted out the water meter main...its 2"....they must have flooded the place...i cant imagine how much water per hour comes out of a 2" copper pipe...it probably hit the ceiling 3 stories up.

they must have taken rope/chain and tied the plumbing to their bumper of a car to tear it down because theirs tire skid marks all around where the piping was....its extreme

looks like a $6-7k job....i should get it....great thing about fire/water insurance jobs...no competitive bidding...give a fair bid and you got it...they dont bother showing up 3x to get 3 plumbers bids...