PDA

View Full Version : The best phone I've ever owned, Finally

Harold Mansfield
11-05-2014, 11:15 AM
So it's been about a week with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote4/note4_main.html) and I can honestly say for the first time in a long time, I'm extremely happy with this phone.
It is the smart phone that I've been expecting smart phones to be for a long time.

I don't want to get into the specs since they are easy to look up online, but 3G of RAM on a phone with a 2.7Ghz quad core processor, on a 5.7 inch, 2,650 x 1,440p quad HD AMOLED display is spectacular.

It's fast. It's extremely functional and it does the things I need and want it to do with ease.

For the first time in years I have no complaints about a phone. It's expensive to buy retail (which I didn't) , but for the first time in years I don't feel like I got ripped off.

I highly recommend it.

Freelancier
11-05-2014, 11:37 AM
How's battery life? I got the RAZR MAXX HD last time because battery life was so superior to anything else out there and it's saved me a few times.

Harold Mansfield
11-05-2014, 11:46 AM
It's pretty good. Specs are 3,200-mAh. Better than my last phone.
I usually unplug it at around 6 a.m. and don't plug it back in until around 11 p.m. and most times still have around 30% left.

I took it out for a field test on Sunday while watching football, checking my fantasy scores constantly (the multi tasking/split screen functionality was great for that), web searching, text messaging, picture taking, and so on all day and still had 40% left when I got home.

It has a nice power saving mode that I've seen some reviewers say that you can get a couple of days out of it.

You have access to the battery and can switch it out for a fresh one pretty easily. Additional batteries are like $30.
Portable power back ups are like $15.
It also has a fast charging mode that lets you charge to 50% in 30 minutes or less.

I'm sure how you use it will make the difference. I'm not on it all of the time, don't use live wallpapers, don't steam movies or music a lot, use wifi most of the time, and don't allow constant notifications from social media or other apps that some people leave constantly running.

huggytree
11-05-2014, 05:51 PM
i like my basic Samsung flip phone....no smart phone for me......mine can go through the washer or be dropped 10'+

Harold Mansfield
11-05-2014, 06:09 PM
i like my basic Samsung flip phone....no smart phone for me......mine can go through the washer or be dropped 10'+
With your job and the beating that your equipment probably takes, I wouldn't recommend it for you at all. You'd break it on the first day just putting it in your pocket and leaning against something.

I wouldn't recommend this phone for anyone who works outside or any kind of construction, or carpentry or mechanic work. Even with a hard case that would defeat the purpose because you wouldn't be able to access all of the tools and functions, and probably don't need them anyway.

It's definitely an office person, administrative kind of phone.

But they do make durable, heavy duty encased smart phones and laptops for people in construction and such.

MikeyBW
12-22-2014, 11:32 AM
I just got myself a 5s. I was toying with the idea of picking up a 6 but full life contract were just unbelievable! Some were close to £2,000. Who has that to spend on a phone I don't know. The 5s though is a great little machine. Does everything how I want it to, has a pretty decent camera and I just love iOs. I'm so used to it that when I try to use other phones they're just so clunk and clumsy. All personal preference though. At the end of the day as long as you can make calls, receive emails, browse the web and check emails with ease you don't need much else.

Freelancier
12-22-2014, 05:34 PM
I ended up getting the Samsung 5s. Not in love with it, especially some of the samsung software, but it is good enough for the next couple of years....

Harold Mansfield
12-22-2014, 06:11 PM
I ended up getting the Samsung 5s. Not in love with it, especially some of the samsung software, but it is good enough for the next couple of years....
And that's about what it comes down to. Can I live with it for 2 years. My last phone was a miserable 2 years, and the one before that wasn't great either. As much as phones cost today that's a really low satisfaction bar to shoot for, but it is what we do.

That's why I'm so happy to finally have something that I actually enjoy using. I don't feel ripped off this time. And that's really sad to have to put it that way but that's how I feel when I get stuck with a POS under contract. Like they just ripped me off.

billbenson
12-22-2014, 09:30 PM
I have a Samsung 2S I think. But since I do no surfing, I'm always in front of my PC and landline phone, even on weekends, and travel two or three times a year, all I care about is phone, text (which I use a lot of voice entries), and GPS.

Wifes a different story. She's a shopaholic, but is constantly looking up the price of stuff on the internet with her phone. A larger internet casi tablet phone is what she needs.

I thought my phone was failing BTW. She bought a new battery on ebay and it works great for what I need.

Harold Mansfield
12-31-2014, 12:25 AM
Wifes a different story. She's a shopaholic, but is constantly looking up the price of stuff on the internet with her phone. A larger internet casi tablet phone is what she needs.

She'd probably love this one. It's a much more enjoyable experience looking things up on the fly, on a fast phone that's big enough to actually see what you're doing.

cdgbrand
01-23-2015, 04:42 PM
I had Sony Ericsson w910 5 years ago, and you know, if it had a wifi, I'd buy it again. It was so elegant, with long living battery...
Of course it is not a modern smartphone, but I really miss phones with buttons :(