PDA

View Full Version : im noticing....

greenoak
04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
:)in this economy im noticing a lowering of prices and a raising of service.....my carpenters are being extra great, realizing that the situation is a little worse for us...my painter isnt complaining as much...
.and also im hearing from a customer that she lost a big lawn care job she'd had for years because someone underbid her...and from another that he is travelling an extra 200 miles for a big job...something he would have turned down before...
.there are lots of folks out there trying to make some money....and willing to work a bit harder and maybe for a little less....and maybe paying more attention to the people still buying...maybe they will emerge stronger...

we have also added 2 or 3 things that we wouldnt have bothered with earlier..... the unemployment is creeping up here still....
ann

rezzy
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I think everyone has felt the it one way or the other.

I hope that we have reached the bottom of the pit and things stabilize. Upward movement would be nice, but I would like things to stop going downhill.

cbscreative
04-02-2009, 07:08 PM
As many of you here know, I'm in Michigan, and the economy here has been in a tailspin for years. It saddens me that the rest of the country is now following the sorry lead we seem to have perfected. I don't want to turn this into a political discussion except to encourage you to call or write your elected officials and tell them that more taxes on business will not help the economy. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

As for the economy going in the tank, every challenge presents an opportunity, and it's healthy to think about problem solving. Whatever does not kill you will make you stronger.

If you're working harder in business for less, you are still better off than many people who have a job (at least that's the way it is here in Michigan). Most of the people I know are getting their hours and/or wages cut, and they're working harder during the hours they are getting because the staffing is being reduced.

orion_joel
04-03-2009, 01:08 AM
We are noticing things slowing down considerably at work. Not so much going to affect me as i am a permanent employee and guaranteed 8 hours a day. Many of you may say no guarantees, however my situation is slightly different, 60% of the workforce where i am is casual, so there is a lot of people that will lose hours, or get let go before me (literally i would have to do something probably stupid or illegal to get let go at the moment).

Those casual workers are noticing it, they are getting less hours. Because processing volumes are down. It really is getting some of them scared, we do try to give them what we can, however sometimes it does just come down to everything has literally been done and nothing more could be done.

huggytree
04-04-2009, 09:18 AM
the economy is finally effecting my business....right now i dont see myself making more than i did last year....im still making profit, but its lower the past 2 months.

when comparing my hours to last year im down 15-20%...i made a ton of money in Jan. so im even financially with last year right now, but by next month i will probably be dropping behind.

i used to get $1,000 to $10,000 checks to cash....now i get a ton of $150 - $400 checks....its all small minor jobs...the big ones arent going through..

new homes in my area for Jan were 35 and Feb 42....compared to the peak which was 240 a month!

im having alot of luck lately with new contacts which should bring work within 2 months...alot of my contacts & projects have fallen through....

im hoping this is the bottom.....im told my competition should start to go under soon... the local union quit listing how many plumbers are on the layoff list. when i drive around i dont see any construction vans anymore...50-75% drop id say.

I am finally going to drop my remodeling prices down 10%...I got out bid by $3500 on a $7,000 project this week. (i assume a side job plumber)...i dont blame anyone for it...people have to eat....

tax refunds havent done much...i may have 2 jobs because of it coming up.

Evan
04-05-2009, 08:36 PM
The companies which aren't reducing prices are certainly going to see a huge decline in revenue when others companies do and people switch.

I tend to notice this as well, and it is great if you have money to spend. This could be a potential sign of disinflation.

Dan Furman
04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I've seen it too. I do not like to compete on price, but the reality is, if a person has $200 ($2,000, $20,000) to spend, and that's it, that's what he or she is going to spend.

I have to remain somewhat competitive. If it means doing a job for less than I would have last year, that's what it means.

cocoy
04-08-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm noticing an increase in the level of customer service.

A friend had a deck installed by the home builder. Seemed like the contractor used two different lots of composite decking, so the color didn't match. Friend called the developer, (since the contractor said it was normal sunlight wear and it would even out) developer called the manufacturer rep right away. A rep came out to the house the very same day to look at the decking. Told them they changed the tinting recently and the planks have different labels to distinguish between the two. Contractor started replacing the decking the next day.

Not sure if the increase in customer service is the result of slower building and them having more time to deal with problems or if they are actually making sure the customer is satisfied.

Dustin07
04-13-2009, 07:53 PM
I've noticed a lowering in prices, but not an increase in customer service or salesmanship. People seem to get lazy with a slow economy.

As many of you here know, I'm in Michigan, and the economy here has been in a tailspin for years. It saddens me that the rest of the country is now following the sorry lead we seem to have perfected. I don't want to turn this into a political discussion except to encourage you to call or write your elected officials and tell them that more taxes on business will not help the economy. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

That's why I'm a FairTaxer. I started the first Western Washington Fair Tax group and we're having our 2nd meeting in May. the FairTax (HR25/S296) stands a very good chance of turning America into the worlds tax haven and it currently has more than 50 congressional co-sponsors!!

cbscreative
04-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Amen, Dustin, I've been on board with FairTax for a couple years or so now. I started out skeptical until I learned more about it. There is a move to get a Michigan FairTax which is desperately needed here. I support both the national and state FairTax. Which ever state(s) is/are first to have one will get a serious advantage over the others. If one of our neighboring states gets it before Michigan, great for them, but bad for us. Last I knew there were at least 11 states actively trying to get their own version of a FairTax.