PDA

View Full Version : yard signs-how is it done?

huggytree
03-30-2009, 12:01 PM
the main local plumbing company has gotten out of the local phone book and started putting up yard signs at every job they do...when you drive around on side streets the signs are everywhere....they have been around for 50 years and everyone locally uses them...

i am considering starting to do the same thing, but dont know how to include it in my contract.

do you say 'yard sign must be kept up for 1 month after work' or offer $20 if they let you put up the yard sign?

do i demand it or offer it? how long is normal?

cocoy
03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
I would not hire anyone who "demands" their sign be put up.

If they ask me nicely I would allow them.

KristineS
03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree, I don't think you can demand that someone put up a sign.

The best way to do things would be to tell people that you generally ask them to put a sign up after you've completed the job. It's just like asking for a referral or something. A certain percentage of people will tell you no, and the rest will probably go along with it.

orion_joel
03-31-2009, 01:36 AM
demanding or contractually obligating someone to put up a yard sign is a good way to lose potential business. However asking in response to someone thinking you have done a good job, or by offering a discount on a large job, could have plenty of potential.

You need to look at it from the point of view, as to what level of profit or revenue do you need to make to justify offering a discount to place the sign. For example a job like fixing up a few leaking taps, which you may charge $100-$200 for would very rarely i imagine show cause to discount to get to put up a sign. By all means ask if you can but i wouldn't offer a discount. The same as if you did a job on a house at the dead end of a back street cul-de-sac. No matter the discount the location is not worth it.

On the same note if you were to do a job worth $600 on a busy main road, maybe it would be worth giving $50-$100 off for the benefit of putting a sign in their yard.

The next thing is make sure the sign conveys the message well and conveys a message of quality. Make sure the sign is of reasonably quality, good printing that is clear and simply to convey your message and you should be hopefully building your brand further.

Steve B
03-31-2009, 05:20 AM
You've gotten good advice above. I use yard signs - both large (short term) and small (long term). People almost always let me leave them up. The little ones are required by law as part of the dog containment ordinance (at least in Louisville). The big ones may get taken down a day or two after I leave - but, they almost always let me leave them up when I ask. I know one customer has the big yard sign up over two years later.

My customers are always very happy with my work when I'm done and I get to know them a bit so they are always eager to help me succeed. I used to offer a discount to let me leave up the big sign, but it didn't seem to matter to anyone, so I was just giving money away. Impress them enough with your service and they will want to help you out. I've had people offer to take my brochure racks to their vet or to their workplace for me.

With that said, based on this information that your big competitor is out of the phone book and based on the fact that you have made more money than you have spent on the phone book - I think you should do this AND be in the phone book. I get very little from the phone book - but as long as I make more than I spend I'll stick with it. I don't see this as an either/or decision.

cocoy
03-31-2009, 12:31 PM
For Steve B and Huggytree...have you guys looked into advertising or sponsoring public neighborhood/HOA forums? I can't see it costing much. Some even have a free forums for local businesses. There are always neighbors asking other neighbors for referrals for plumbers and other service type jobs.

Spider
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Ooops! Posted to wrong thread!

Steve B
03-31-2009, 03:26 PM
cocoy - I'm not sure I know what you are referring to. How would I find such a thing?

cocoy
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Check out the neighborhood or subdivision/HOA names and just do a web search.

See if they have a public forum/message board. This is where most homeowners go first to find referrals or ask for a neighbor's opinion for a particular service or company.

Some sell advertising space or site sponsorship. Some have free forums to advertise your business.

I think it works well for local businesses and eventually you can be known as the neighborhood go to guy.

I forgot to add that some may have newsletters that you can advertise in.

orion_joel
04-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Maybe some other areas that you may be able to look into is getting in as the plumber for things like local community groups. Eg sporting clubs, or other places that might have some small facilities, like a toilet block or something at a sporting field. Even sponsoring them by offering $X of free services a year, for a prominent sign at their venue.

Another one might be trying to get businesses like local shopping center or council/local government, where you may be able to label the facilities or have a sponsor sign somewhere visible.

There are really lots of options when you open your mind to potential opportunities.

jem
04-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I still have the sign on my fence from the fence company 3 yrs later!!!

I agree - just ask - if you do a good job and the sign is unobtrusive, I'll normally keep it up for a month or so (or until I get bored!)

Also, at least in my town there ar lots of signs by busy traffic light intersection, stuff for folks to read while they are waiting for the green light....

Simon

Business Attorney
04-01-2009, 10:19 AM
In my neighborhood, painters and contractors often put up their signs while the project is going on, but they usually come down as soon as they leave. I think there would be some reluctance to leave up a yard sign for a minor plumbing job, but I don't see why most people wouldn't be OK with a sign when there is an ongoing remodeling job (even if the plumbing part of the job may be done).

nealrm
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
If you do decide on doing the yard signs, here is a hint to reduce cost. When using the corridated plastic, use a standard size. This may mean repeating your sign several times on a single peice of plastic. Then cut the signs a part with a skill saw.

We did this with our yard signs. we had them printed 3 up on a standard size. It did required a very small change in the sign to adjust for a 1/8" loose due to cutting. However, instead of getting 250 signs we received 750 signs for only about 10% more.

huggytree
04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
thanks for the sign tip...

i was thinking of ordering 100-cheap cardboard ones

if i only kept the signs out while im on the job they would all last 2-6 hours since im hardly doing large jobs anymore....my main local competitor has to be putting them out on every job reguardless of size...there's just too many...

on any large job on a busy street i Always put out a sign...

my large sign on a 1900 white victorian being restored, on a 25 mph, around a 90 degree turn (10 mph) has been there now for 9 months....1 job....$200

everyone tells me they see my sign there....but no new calls from it...every time i get a return customer they say they saw it....suppose thats worth something..i dont see signs working very well...

Remipub
04-14-2009, 04:19 AM
In most cases I don't think yard signs create sales, but they very much reinforce other sales messages you may have out there. People may receive one of your postcards and recognize the name from a sign they saw on a house up the street. That association goes a very long way in creating recognizability ... and even credibility.

Just because a sign doesn't directly bring in business (and sometimes it may), don't think it's not doing its job.