PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go for mentorship or subsidized business courses?

Davidl
10-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Im thinking to start a business, yet lack a lot of technical knowledge to start a business. Are there any places to go to for government subsidized business courses?

What should I look for to get the basics of entrepreneurship in terms of running the business and what I need to get me ready to start a small business (accounting, book keeping, taxes, and general setting up the foundation). My typical trial and error that works well in learning a trade, wont work so well in starting a small business where a lot of capital and time will be at stake.

Is it normal for people with no actual experience to write up a course of action to what they need to do. Ex. Hire accountant, hire graphic designers, ect in more detail than the typical business proposal.

huggytree
10-24-2014, 09:05 PM
are you opening a business you have experience in?

how did your old boss run it? thats a good starting point

id start asking specific questions here......just doing a blanket statement ''i dont know what to do' isnt going to get any good responses here

what specifically dont you know??

hire a good accountant and he will set your quickbooks up and figure out some financial things/taxes for you

thats where id start

you need to come up with pricing/advertising

go ahead and read some books...i found all of them worthless.....i took a business class...that was worthless too....if the class/book isnt specific to your business then its meaningless....even the books specifically for my line of work were worthless..

start making a list of everything you need to get in place to open your business.....then cross things off as you handle them...thats what i did...i think i started 3 months before i went into business....i also recommend a large cash reserve....i had enough for 6 months and enough to buy all my tools...the only loan i took was for a work van...you will need to spend money to make money.....make sure thats part of your plan

Davidl
10-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Im thinking to open a business for a small leather working shop producing duffel bags, and small leather goods, then made in Canada or USA clothing line. I haven't finished my leather working education yet, just looking for information so I'm not completely in the dark here.

When Is say I don't know what to do, I don't have a clue what I have to do legally other than register a name, register as a business, open a bank account under the business, write a business plan, finding suppliers.

Im unsure if I'm missing anything I have to do as I have no real knowledge whether or not what I'm doing is solid or bad.

The books and business class I'm on the same boat as you they didn't help much... I will make a list and check them off that seems like the best route.

TTS
10-25-2014, 01:15 AM
You sound like you're from Canada. I'm not sure if they have SCORE there or not but if they do you should contact them to get set up with a mentor who can help guide you during the planning, launch and early running of the business.

tallen
10-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Find an attorney and an accountant (and maybe a banker, if you need financing), and spend an hour with each of them talking about what you want to do and what you need to do. You'll have to pay for this, but consider it an important investment in your business.

Also many State governments in the USA have "How to start a business in our state" sections on their websites that will outline many of the steps you will need to follow, at least as far as that state is concerned. Maybe the Provincial governments will have something similar.

One of the colleges near me hosts a "Small Business Development Center" that provides consulting to small businesses in the area. I think they are funded by the Federal (US) Small Business Administration, and may also be the base of operations for the local of chapter of SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives) -- these are people who volunteer to mentor new businesses. Where-ever you are, it is worth checking the government websites to see what sort of services and support are available to help with starting and running a small business.

Harold Mansfield
10-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Im thinking to start a business, yet lack a lot of technical knowledge to start a business. Are there any places to go to for government subsidized business courses?

What should I look for to get the basics of entrepreneurship in terms of running the business and what I need to get me ready to start a small business (accounting, book keeping, taxes, and general setting up the foundation). My typical trial and error that works well in learning a trade, wont work so well in starting a small business where a lot of capital and time will be at stake.

Is it normal for people with no actual experience to write up a course of action to what they need to do. Ex. Hire accountant, hire graphic designers, ect in more detail than the typical business proposal.
What country are you in?

Davidl
10-25-2014, 03:17 PM
What country are you in?

Ontario, Canada

Fulcrum
10-25-2014, 04:00 PM
https://www.ontario.ca/business-and-economy/small-business-enterprise-centre-locations

That should help get you started.

If you do find government grants that will go to small business chase it down. I've looked and come to the conclusion that because I'm a WASP male in a conservative riding in southwestern Ontario who has never been on welfare, I don't qualify for any grants.

Good luck on your search.

Owen
10-25-2014, 04:31 PM
There's online classes you can take. :)