PDA

View Full Version : I need some perspective on data usage with phone plans

Harold Mansfield
10-24-2014, 10:05 AM
It's that time again. Need a new phone and a new plan. Now that everyone is measuring data I'm a little lost. I have no idea how much data is needed for normal use since I've had unlimited everything for so long. But it's obvious that I don't need unlimited data, therefore should be able to pay less. But I can't get real usage data from my phone or account.

Basically I work from home and when I'm home my devices are running on wifi.
I don't do any music, or movie streaming on my phone.
I rarely do any Social Media from my phone and most of my usage away from home is the occasional web search, sports updates, or GPS directions.

So how much data does one need? How much is 3G? 4G? 20G?
Is anyone on one of these new plans, and can you give me some perspective of how much data you have compared to how much you use and how you use it?

It would be really helpful.
Thanks

Freelancier
10-24-2014, 11:30 AM
I do a little audio streaming when we travel, pick up e-mail on a couple of non-business accounts and periodically pick up business e-mail if I'm waiting for something. My wife does use her phone to pick up all business e-mail, a little audio streaming at the gym, no social media. Rest of the time, the phone is on WiFi and phone updates are limited to WiFi connections only.

We're on a 3GB combined plan and we're never anywhere close to going over our limit.

Hope this data point helps.

MyITGuy
10-24-2014, 11:42 AM
On my phone, I average just under 2GB a month.
Recently, my wife has been averaging around 4GB a month, but she does a lot of audio streaming on the go and we just recently purchased an app that will download these items automatically while at home and on our network.

Our plan is the 6GB shared plan with Verizon and they've been providing 1GB for promotional purposes recently, so we haven't gone over yet.

Brian Altenhofel
10-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Just a heads up - be wary of what is reported when you have an unlimited plan. One thing that kept me with a carrier that offered an unlimited plan was their report on my bill saying I'd used 17GB/mo. When I they dropped me because they dropped non-metro non-interstate towers, I changed to Verizon and was only using 4GB without changing my apps, updates, notifications, or habits.

We're on a 6GB plan shared across four phones, and my phone typically uses 5GB per month. I have monitoring notifications for all of my servers on my phone. I occasionally have to SSH in to fix things or tether and use my tablet or laptop. The most I've used since switching has been 13GB, and that was tethered for a week at a conference and sharing that connection with a few people. Tech conferences have the worst WiFi... probably has to do with the average attendee bringing 2.5 devices they want to connect.

During winter when my ISP can have ice problems with their equipment on towers, if the estimated time to fix is greater than an hour or two I do up my plan for that month just in case. During the course of a normal day, I use ~5GB without counting streaming music or video. It's even higher if I'm updating Vagrant boxes.

Interestingly, as I typed this, I just got a notification from Verizon that I can get a loyalty upgrade to 10GB/mo for no additional cost and no modification to my plan (on month-to-month).

Harold Mansfield
10-24-2014, 11:58 AM
I do a little audio streaming when we travel, pick up e-mail on a couple of non-business accounts and periodically pick up business e-mail if I'm waiting for something. My wife does use her phone to pick up all business e-mail, a little audio streaming at the gym, no social media. Rest of the time, the phone is on WiFi and phone updates are limited to WiFi connections only.

We're on a 3GB combined plan and we're never anywhere close to going over our limit.

Hope this data point helps.

This sounds about like my usage and actually I don't even do that much. 3G shared is what I was looking at so that sounds about right.

We're on a 6GB plan shared across four phones, and my phone typically uses 5GB per month. I have monitoring notifications for all of my servers on my phone. I occasionally have to SSH in to fix things or tether and use my tablet or laptop. The most I've used since switching has been 13GB, and that was tethered for a week at a conference and sharing that connection with a few people. Tech conferences have the worst WiFi... probably has to do with the average attendee bringing 2.5 devices they want to connect.

During winter when my ISP can have ice problems with their equipment on towers, if the estimated time to fix is greater than an hour or two I do up my plan for that month just in case. During the course of a normal day, I use ~5GB without counting streaming music or video. It's even higher if I'm updating Vagrant boxes.

If you can do all of that on a 6G shared, then I should be good with a 2G-3G shared.

Awesome!
All very helpful and definitely gives the perceptive I was looking for.

Freelancier
10-24-2014, 12:19 PM
The thing is they're happy to add a GB if you need as soon as you notice you're running up against your limits.

Harold Mansfield
10-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Was finally able to see my data usage over the past year. I'm not even close to using 1G on any given month even at my peak.
I do love the way they measure data in G's, but give you your usage in kb's so that you have to do the math.

I also love the way we abandoned teaching the metric system when I was in school, and now everything is measured using the metric system.
Bastards.

Harold Mansfield
10-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Finally got it done. New, cheaper plan, new phone.
It was a horrible experience. I was literally on the phone for 3 hours between being put on hold for every little thing, the call dropping multiple times and having to call back in and start over with someone new, my crappy phone acting up and abruptly ending calls, processing the payment incorrectly and having to do that 3 times...it was a nightmare.

You would think after all this time they would have gotten this down to a science, but it is not.
It's 2014 and it's still a quagmire.

Freelancier
10-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Huh... couple of years back, I did the whole thing online via Target's cell phone web site (because they had a special on the phone I wanted). Everything worked right first time.

Harold Mansfield
10-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Huh... couple of years back, I did the whole thing online via Target's cell phone web site (because they had a special on the phone I wanted). Everything worked right first time.

I could have done it online like I do everything else, but past experience with cell and cable companies has taught me to talk to a person so that I can get them to reinforce what rate I will actually be paying over and over again so that there is no confusion.

What they advertise as $75 a month, easily ends up being $125 when it's all said and done and I just wanted to make sure I didn't fall for any traps.

billbenson
10-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Was finally able to see my data usage over the past year. I'm not even close to using 1G on any given month even at my peak.
I do love the way they measure data in G's, but give you your usage in kb's so that you have to do the math.

I also love the way we abandoned teaching the metric system when I was in school, and now everything is measured using the metric system.
Bastards.

Well if you are in engineering school (I graduated in 80) everything is metric. Seems to me everybody but carpenters and Huggy use the metric system.

Harold Mansfield
10-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Well if you are in engineering school (I graduated in 80) everything is metric. Seems to me everybody but carpenters and Huggy use the metric system.

It's a hodge podge. We still buy gas, milk, and most other liquids using Standard (or Imperial) measurements. We still measure sizes and distance in Standard. We still weigh in standard. We still use MPG. Back in college we used to buy "smoking tobacco" by the ounce, but now I hear it's by the gram.

We're all over the place. But officially, the U.S. is still on standard measurements.

billbenson
10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
It's a hodge podge. We still buy gas, milk, and most other liquids using Standard (or Imperial) measurements. We still measure sizes and distance in Standard. We still weigh in standard. We still use MPG. Back in college we used to buy "smoking tobacco" by the ounce, but now I hear it's by the gram.

We're all over the place. But officially, the U.S. is still on standard measurements.

I think it will gradually change. Hell wine is sold in mL. Most government drawings are in both today. As the old farts die off the next generation will push it to metric. Its just such a more logical unit of measure.

Freelancier
10-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Coke products have been sold in liter-sized packaging for 30+ years... hasn't gotten us any closer to adopting metric exclusively. Short of government action to enforce it in all dealings with the government, it won't get any more traction than it has now.

Harold Mansfield
10-29-2014, 05:50 PM
It is weird. The 2 Liter is a great example. We call that soda size a 2 liter and have been for years now, but we still call milk by the quart and gallon.
I think that has more to do with the soda industry saying screw it, this is what it is and this is what we're calling it from now on.

Same with beer. 12 oz bottles, or at the bar 25 oz drafts. Liquor is sold by the oz in bars, but they use metric when you buy by the bottle.

And we're use to this mixture of measurements in every day life.

I agree, it's a slow transition.

Brian Altenhofel
10-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Even though it says the metric amount on the bottle, everyone around here knows what someone means if they ask for a "half-pint", "pint", "fifth", or "handle".

Harold Mansfield
10-30-2014, 11:37 AM
What's a "handle"? The Half Gallons?

Brian Altenhofel
10-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Yep, since half gallons often have handles on them, especially whiskeys. (That's also the largest they can sell in Oklahoma.)

Harold Mansfield
11-01-2014, 01:44 PM
FYI got my new phone, a Galaxy Note 4 and for the first time in years I'm actually happy with a phone.

I feel like I got screwed the last 2 times I changed phones.
Either they didn't live up to expectations, or in the case of the last one..I purchased the first phone after the Google/ Motorola buyout. They made all kinds of promises about support and updates and then abandoned the entire phone in 6 months. No updates. And then Google sold Motorola Mobility a few months after that. So I've been bitter for 2 years and stuck with a phone that I hated, had all kinds of glitches, and no support. But scared to buy a new one for $500+ and hate it too.

This time I decided to stop screwing around and just get flagship phone from a company that doesn't mess around. Reviews have been stellar and it's warranted.

Not happy about the price, but the phone is spectacular. I've had Palms, Blackberry's and every other kind of "smart" phone from the very beginning, but this is the phone I've been waiting on for a long time. Highly recommend it.

billbenson
11-01-2014, 01:53 PM
What did you pay?

Harold Mansfield
11-01-2014, 02:41 PM
What did you pay?
They're $700 retail, but $299 (32 GB + Micro SD expansion) with a 2 year agreement. I think that's the same across all carriers. I'm not a cheapskate and I love electronics and devices, but I always feel like I get ripped off when it comes to phones for years. This one I like. I probably wouldn't have paid full retail for it and would rather not be on a 2 year agreement, but I think $300 is a fair compromise for a phone that I'm actually happy with.

Phone prices (retail) are really getting out of control though.

And then I switched plans from unlimited everything which was running about $170 for 2 lines, to Unlimited Talk, Text and Shared Data (2G) for $115.

I will say that they are pushing the iPhones heavily and giving all kinds of deals and data specials to entice you to get one.

Harold Mansfield
03-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Just doubled my data plan and dropped the bill $30 a month at the same time. Mobile wars are in full effect right now. Some good deals to be had.