PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Dust?

TAMc10
10-21-2014, 12:20 PM
I recently became aware of Mark Cuban's social media venture called Cyber Dust. It is used for messaging friends as well as mass amounts of people but the catch is, once you've viewed a specific message, you are never able to see it again. I can see pros and cons to advertising on such a platform. Does anybody have experience with Cyber Dust marketing?

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2014, 01:02 PM
I recently became aware of Mark Cuban's social media venture called Cyber Dust. It is used for messaging friends as well as mass amounts of people but the catch is, once you've viewed a specific message, you are never able to see it again. I can see pros and cons to advertising on such a platform. Does anybody have experience with Cyber Dust marketing?

I don't really understand why you would marketing anything that is going to self destruct. Can you explain how this would work, and for who?
What do you think it's benefits are for you?

TAMc10
10-22-2014, 12:57 AM
It's similar to Twitter in that you can send messages to individuals or mass amounts of people and use hash-tags to mark subjects, only once the message you have sent them is viewed, it is gone forever. I envisioned using it as a way to give my website appeal to users at strategic times. Say, Sunday morning, send out a message saying "Want to make money playing #fantasyfootball today? Click this link."

Harold Mansfield
10-22-2014, 10:06 AM
It's similar to Twitter in that you can send messages to individuals or mass amounts of people and use hash-tags to mark subjects, only once the message you have sent them is viewed, it is gone forever. I envisioned using it as a way to give my website appeal to users at strategic times. Say, Sunday morning, send out a message saying "Want to make money playing #fantasyfootball today? Click this link."

Hmn. Interesting. I don't know. Usually I can refer to some experience or articles that I've read. But in this case it's too new. To be honest it sounds more gimmicky as a marketing stunt than having any real value. Why wouldn't you just do that on Twitter, Facebook and G+ where there are already people discussing sports?

Seems to me your business is about engagement. Self destructing messages are the opposite of that. Speaking as both a Football fan and a person who plays in at least 2 Fantasy leagues every year, seems like you're ignoring the obvious and keep trying to find alternatives. I'm just wondering why you seem to be against the obvious social networks.

TAMc10
10-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Not at all, Mr. Mansfield. Facebook and Twitter are our two biggest allies in our current marketing campaign. I am simply looking to explore all possible avenues in hopes of reaching the most people we possibly can!

billbenson
10-23-2014, 06:23 PM

A link in an email is a quick spam delete for me unless it's from someone I know.

Harold Mansfield
10-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Seems to me what you're looking for is simple. Go to where the people are. Where are you going to find the best place, with the most amount of people in your demographic? Some new messaging app that hardly anyone knows about? Or on the Social Media sites and sports forums where sports fans and fantasy football players are right this moment?