PDA

View Full Version : newest post card idea...is it good?

huggytree
03-27-2009, 05:42 PM
ive been tossing idea's around today about what my next post card advertisement will be.

I am increasing my advertising to builders and am going from quarterly mailers to sending them something Monthly.

I have enough post cards being printed right now for 3x...i am coming up with a 2nd idea and plan to alternate them.

these post cards are Super Sized 9" x 6", so size alone is going to be hard to miss....I want a attention getter!

My last idea was 1/2 neg. 1/2 pos...the title was "does your plumber let you down?'

i want to be 100% Positive on this next one.

my idea of the moment is 'Master Plumber for the same price as a Journeyman.'

is this a good title and theme?

I have never advertised myself as a 1 man shop before....when new builders call they usually ask and i admitt it...my current customers like it...i see it as an advantage more than a disadvantage....im just scared to advertise it.

the large home builders are super cheap and my prices are never low enough for them anyways....my small/medium size builders dont seem to mind.(that i know of)

is this a good idea? should i base this post card on the theme of a 1 man shop advantage?

vangogh
03-27-2009, 07:43 PM
That image would certainly get my attention, though I'm not sure it would put me in the right frame of mind. Not the most pleasant image.

'Master Plumber for the same price as a Journeyman.'

I like that theme. I think it does get across a major benefit of employing you. The implication is you're getting more value for the money, which is a good selling point. Whether or not advertising the one man nature of your business is a hard call. Personally I think it is an advantage. It's something I use myself and every since I made it clear my business is just me and I injected more of my personality into my site, business has picked up considerably.

It probably depends on your market more than anything. There will probably be some jobs you might not get, but as long as you get more jobs from those that do like the one person shop it's a win for you. Sounds like current customers like that about you so I would think making it more apparent would be a good thing.

Dan Furman
03-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure I like the "Master / Journeyman" comparison thing. Basically, I don't like disparaging anyone in my advertising (Journeymen, in this case) - it's somewhat negative in tone (in a subtle way).

How about "A Master Plumber is more affordable than you think?"

thx4yrtym
03-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Huggy,

The master plumber vs journeyman thing went right over my head. Sorry I don't know the difference. Wonder how many others would have the same reaction.

I agree with others. I would never shy away from letting people know that you are a one man operation. Your jobs are always done exactly the way you want. No one else is in the customers homes. just you. You are actually providing a higher quality product for less because you have no employee overhead.

Regards,

huggytree
03-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Wouldnt most people think a Master plumber is better than a Journeyman?

its just a test you have to pass, but it shows you care more and arent just doing the min. you have to...

Most people think it means alot more than it does. I use it on homeowners all the time...

I charge for the same overhead as the big guys, so when i someday expand i dont have to raise my prices...So im not cheaper...its just more money in my pocket while i stay 1 man...

My price is the same, but the quality is better...i have city plumbing inspectors compliment my work to homeowners often....the average person probably cant see the difference, but a trained person can for sure....its all about the details and the extra time spent tweaking the pipes....my goal is to make the plumbing look like it was installed in a factory by robots..

thx4yrtym
03-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Maybe it's a age thing. I think of class room learned when I hear Master Plumber, vs earned the title on the job when I hear Journeyman.

Regards,

Dan Furman
03-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Wouldnt most people think a Master plumber is better than a Journeyman?

doesn't make a difference to me.

I hear "Master Plumber" and I think really good plumber (like "Master Craftsman".) I don't think of it the way you do, though (an official title).

Paul Elliott
03-29-2009, 03:48 PM
my idea of the moment is 'Master Plumber for the same price as a Journeyman.'

is this a good title and theme?

For those of us not in the trades business we may not know what a journeyman is. Master simply sounds like a very good plumber to us.

Having worked with Master tradesmen, I understand that, and I'm sure all your contractors do too.

I lean with the sense that you don't want to disparage those of lesser qualification or experience, simply point out how you are better without drawing direct, specific comparisons.

I have never advertised myself as a 1 man shop before....when new builders call they usually ask and i admitt it...my current customers like it...i see it as an advantage more than a disadvantage....im just scared to advertise it.

Since it is not easy to control the value concept in the mind of a reader/potential customer, I would not make that point. It would take too long to emphasize the benefits of what seems like a detraction to the average reader, AND that person would have to be interested in learning why it isn't a detraction after all.

Simply be open when people ask. After all, you may get a larger job where you want to hire 1 or more helpers to get it done in a short time-frame.

the large home builders are super cheap and my prices are never low enough for them anyways....my small/medium size builders dont seem to mind.(that i know of)

ASK them. They'll tell you how they feel and what others have said in earshot of them. Keep asking to see what the overall perception is of you, your work, and your positioning in the marketplace.

is this a good idea? should i base this post card on the theme of a 1 man shop advantage?

I'd suggest you simply leave that one alone, at least until you learn more of how you are perceived in the marketplace.

Paul

cocoy
03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
I would think you'll lose jobs if you tell them you're a 1 man company.

Wouldn't builders want several houses being worked on at once instead of one at a time?

This said...I have no idea how big of a job you usually work on and the building schedule.

Just H
04-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Truthfully, I wouldn't know what a Journeyman does. I know the general field but to tell someone specifics, I'd have no clue. If you're sending to the general public, then that might be something to consider. If your mailings are more targeted, then they probably know and the point will hit home.

The image is a little too graphic and evokes such a nasty feeling for me. I'm not sure how effective it'd be on a piece I received. I think maybe a water line under a counter spraying a big leak or even a clogged toilet w/ the water overflowing might be more effective.

KristineS
04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I have to agree with H on the image, it's way too graphic. Seeing that would make sure the postcard goes in the trash fast.

As for the Journeyman/Master Plumber thing, I wouldn't know the different either. If you're marketing to contractors or home builders it might be worth mentioning. I'm not sure it would have as much impact with the public at large.

huggytree
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Ive dropped the idea....something just doesnt feel right about advertising to a 1 man shop...i think its a good idea to discuss with customers once they find out in only 1 man...

My idea i decided to go with is

'WHAT ARE REMODELERS & NEW HOME BUILDERS SAYING ABOUT US?'

then i have 2 testimonials...1 from a new home builder and 1 from a remodeler...i also list which trade organizations they belong to...(most builders belong to the same 2 organizations)

back side:

we have been in business for 2 1/2 years and continue to gain new customers in a shrinking market because we are the best value in plumbing.

While other plumbers are searching for ways to cheao out their plumbing. We continue to improve our installation practices and use above average quality parts.

Better parts & installation practices = Lower call backs & more satisfied home owners

We do it right!

any suggestions? im going to the printer tomarrow to get this one rolling

i got the last one back from the printer today and they look amazing...im excited to pound my potential customers 12x a year instead of 3x a year. im expecting to finally be working 40 hours + on average by the end of the year.

Steve B
04-02-2009, 05:56 AM
I have a couple observations.

I like the use of the testimonials.

I'm sure it's a typo, but what is "searching for ways to cheo out their plumbing"? If you meant "cheap" out their plumbing, I don't think that's a proper sentence. It also doesn't sound very professional to make a vague accusation like that about your competition.

Also, I wouldn't be impressed with "above average" parts. How about "top quality", "premium", etc.?

"Better parts & installation practices = Lower call backs & more satisfied home owners" - I think this is a bit awkward. How about, our quality parts and attention to detail during the installation minimizes call backs and maximizes home owner satisfaction!

Finally, I wouldn't measure my longevity in 1/2 year increments. Instead, you might say "while fairly new, we have been steadily gaining new customers in a shrinking ..."

These are just my thoughts - I hope this helps a little.

Remipub
04-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Huggy ... you mentioned the city inspectors have complimented your work. I'm glad you came up with the idea of using testimonials but how about getting a testimonial from the inspector. I'd think that would carry some weight given the reputation of city inspectors.

Did I mention we sell 1000 full color, 9 x 6, 2 sided post cards for $169? ;)

huggytree
04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
thanks Steve B.

my wife came up with many of the same things you did...

revise!

The current market is causing some plumbers lower their quality of parts and installation.

At Waukesha Plumbing we continue to improve our installation practices and use top quality parts designed to last.

Top Quality parts & Installation practices = lower call backs & a satisfied customer

because ive been in business barely long enough to be considered a real company by most i feel even that extra 1/2 year means something...Since this post card will be used for the next 6 months im urged to just say 3 years....but i like to be truthful...

also i like the 'top quality/instal.practices = lower callbacks, etc....'

it makes it simple to understand where im coming from...

i took most of yours & my wifes ideas...thanks!

KristineS
04-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I like this much better. I would tinker with this just a bit though.

Maybe try:

"The current market is causing some plumbers to lower the quality of their parts and installation

You won't see that at Waukesha Plumbing.

We continue to improve our installation practices and use top quality parts designed to last.

Top Quality parts & Installation practices = lower call backs & a satisfied customer

I would also add some kind of call to action. Call us or contact us or something like that.

Steve B
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM
It sounds like you made some big improvements. Since it's the first time with this new postcard, I'd suggest ordering a small quantity. I guarantee you will find something to change within minutes of looking at it after they are printed.

I just got some Jumbo sized cards that look great. The problem is they don't fit in the some of the newspaper boxes I will be putting them in. It's the kind of thing I wasn't thinking about when I made the order. I'm glad I only ordered 500. The next time I'll probably order a lot more.

BTW - Remipub is my printer - he's been able to beat Vistaprint (my old printer) easily on price and definitely on service. I refered several others to him and they all have gone out of their way to thank me after they rec'd. their order.

huggytree
04-03-2009, 09:17 PM
i got my first batch from the printer and they are perfect...i have 1400 of them...they are ready to send out next week.

i use a local printer who helps design them for free...i bring in a rough copy and they tweak it and make it look professional...i paid $220 for 1400 full color/glossy 6x9's

most companies would charge $100-150 just to help design them...

i get horrible service and wait forever to get the job done....but in the end im always happy and they are super cheap!

im not sure how well the whole post card idea will work on contractors....the envelope/personally addressed will work better....but it takes too much time/effort to do that monthly....im going to stick with my quarterly mailer...

SuzanneDIngram
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Huggy,

Sorry, it looks like I am a bit too late here as you have already printed. But can I give you some advice for next time?

For what it's worth.... Your copy is discussing you and your company and what you do. It's important to focus more on the benefits of hiring you, the pain you will solve, how much better your client's life will be... you get the idea.

Have a powerful headline, worded in such a way like you are talking directly to your customer and something eye-catching, perhaps even controversial. Eg: "How Important is your plumbing anyway?" and have a picture of a toilet overflowing or a flooded bathroom (everyone's nightmare), or maybe even a picture of some worker guy standing around, smoking... (as if he is doing nothing)... Just throwing out some ideas here but you get the picture.

After that headline (How important is your plumbing anyway?) go on to describe the benefits of hiring you: on time, on budget, reliable, city plumbing inspectors compliment my work to homeowners often.... etc...

You can sell on price, you can sell on benefits or you can also sell by telling an interesting little story about how you saved the day and how appreciative your customer was and how thankful they were that they hired you instead of the other guy.

The two most important points are: to discuss your benefits and to talk directly to the customer, using normal language for your industry.

Anyway, I hope these points help you in future mail outs.

Best regards,
Suzanne

vangogh
04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
he two most important points are: to discuss your benefits and to talk directly to the customer, using normal language for your industry.

Good point. That really is the essence. I want to amend the last bit and say you should use the normal language your customers use about your industry. We all use industry jargon that our customers might not understand. Better to talk about your industry the way your customers do.

Dan Furman
04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
For what it's worth.... Your copy is discussing you and your company and what you do. It's important to focus more on the benefits of hiring you, the pain you will solve, how much better your client's life will be... you get the idea.

I agree with this stuff on principle, but it tends to get overused too, and I think the above is reading too much into it (sorry Suzanne). There really is no pain (other than the obvious) when dealing with a plumber, and the benefits are also obvious. For example, I expect a plumber to end my pain (make the water stop).

My plumber really doesn't give me a better life, nor do I want one from him. Know what I want from my plumber? Show up, do the job I need done, and do it well. That's it. Do that, and my life is better.

"We handle any size job, we show up on time, and we do great work - you'll love working with us". Three "we's", one "us" and only one "you"... It discusses the plumbing company way more than the customer, yet it says exactly what a plumber should say.

Don't get me wrong - I love benefits laden, customer-focused second person copy. I try to write it when I can. But sometimes, especially in businesses like Huggy's, good competent service usually is the benefit.