PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how acurate this is, but it's interesting...

Blessed
03-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I saw someone on Twitter mention the Website Grader (http://website.grader.com/)website. I thought it was interesting. It gave my blogspot.com blog a 79% - not bad for something that I don't even worry about marketing... and the website for the magazine that I'm supposed to redo sometime in the next few months - it got a 6%, I shouldn't have too much trouble improving that score :)

Now, all of you website guys who really do know about SEO and etc... what do you think of this tool? Is it a decent tool for getting a quick oversight of how well your website is put together or is it just a gimmick?

vangogh
03-26-2009, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't put too much faith in those tools. What they look at is pretty limited in terms of seo. What they tell you is ok, but you could score 100% and still have a site that won't get search traffic.

The truth is no tool can tell you how well your site is optimized. For one no tool knows how a search engine ranks things so they're guessing at best. These tools exist though, because the search engines don't tell us and we want to know so someone comes in to fill the gap.

The info they present in the report is based less on what's important and more on what they can measure. For example meta keywords. Google and Microsoft don't even read them. I believe Yahoo and Ask still do, though I wouldn't think they place much if any importance on them The tag is to easy to spam and doesn't send a good signal of anything.

Also notice you can only get the report by giving up your email address. There are other tools doing the same thing that don't require an email address.

Having said all that, there's no harm in running the report. It's always possible it points something out to you that you missed. But don't put too much faith in these kind of tools and don't try to optimize your site specifically to fit their rating.

Blessed
03-26-2009, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't put too much faith in those tools. What they look at is pretty limited in terms of seo. What they tell you is ok, but you could score 100% and still have a site that won't get search traffic....

Having said all that, there's no harm in running the report. It's always possible it points something out to you that you missed. But don't put too much faith in these kind of tools and don't try to optimize your site specifically to fit their rating.

Thanks Steve!

That is pretty much what I figured. At the same time, I do think these things are interesting and I know there is a market for them!

vangogh
03-26-2009, 01:17 AM
And like I said there's nothing wrong with running the report and seeing if you can learn something from it. Just remember that no tool can tell you how to optimize your site.