PDA

View Full Version : Presentations

cocoy
03-25-2009, 03:01 PM
So I get a call from a real estate office and they want me to come by a do a presentation about my service. I do CAD services for engineering and architecture firms and recently decided to branch out and market to real estate agents. I would go out to their listings and measure out the property and draw up a floor plan for their marketing brochures, internet listing sites, etc...

I've never done an actual sales presentation before. Any tips? This is the first time I have to "sell" in front of a room of people. I've only been on the other end when sales reps come to the office and those are very informal since I talk to these people regularly.

I feel stupid going up there and telling them why a floor plan would benefit their marketing brochures. I'd think they would know that already since they are professional agents. I have the "I don't want sound like I'm insulting them" dilemma. :p

I do want to add that the request came from an agent that has already seen my work. A client passed my name along to her and to other agents.

KristineS
03-25-2009, 03:06 PM
If you use slides or Powerpoint, don't put everything you say on your slides. Just use the slides to highlight the main points.

Keep it short and simple. Also you might want to think of it not as convincing them that floor plans would work, but convincing them that you're the one to do those floor plans. Sell yourself as well as the idea.

cocoy
03-25-2009, 04:16 PM
More likely I'll just be explaining the process. What they would need to do on their end and what I would do. They have two options. Do the measurements themselves and send me a sketch or I do the measurements myself.

Maybe get together a little packet w/ samples, a checklist of what they will need to provide if they do the measuring and my contact info.

I really can't see it lasting more than 5 minutes. Luckily it'll be during their weekly meeting, not a special time scheduled just for me.

SteveC
03-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Sell the benefits... for example... a professionally drawn floor plan to scale from us will help your website visitors visualise the property better, they will asscoiate your organisation as being professional and you will sell more properties as a result.

If you focus your presentation on the benefits and not on the actual process involved (not too much anyway) you'll close more... everyone attending the presentation wants to know what you can do for them... or What's in this for me.... answer that and you win

huggytree
03-25-2009, 06:47 PM
i do 10 minute speeches at my networking group every 3 months...its good for you to get up in front of people like this!...it will help you be a better salesman

people like to touch samples....is there anything in your business which is a physical item which makes you different?

i usually pass out samples of the products i use and talk about how its better than what the other guy uses.

i recommend just writing a basic outline...just keywords....dont write down your whole speech...it goes smoother when you see the title of what your supposed to talk about next and then just start talking.

practice 3 or 4 times and get feedback from a friend or spouse.

make sure you look around the room while you talk and use your hands a bit...the more your body expresses ,the more people will feel comfortable with you!...dont be stiff.

i always start my speech with a joke or a work story...as a plumber i have some good ones.....this will also make people like you and feel comfortable around you.

I always pick 1 subject to talk about ...

1. joke or story
2. what makes me different and better than the other guy
3. what services do i offer
4. your main subject (whatever they want to hear about the most)
5. new joke or story/ follow up to your original joke/story

Evan
03-25-2009, 10:20 PM
I very much agree with SteveC.

Your main focus should be the benefits of your product and how it helps them. Don't focus too much on what the competition offers, but mainly on how your product is the best fit for them.

Too often people try to sell the features of their services. This often does nothing. If you were looking for a car but had no idea about certain features and you were told that your car could do cartwheels or something -- sounds great. But how does it benefit me? If, in this case it somehow improved safety or allowed for my car to better fit in parking spots, then I may be interested. But you should be able to judge what features may pertain to your client. If you try selling a Cadillac when a Toyota could do, and he realizes this -- you definitely lose credibility.

phanio
03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
You stated; "I feel stupid going up there and telling them why a floor plan would benefit their marketing brochures. I'd think they would know that already since they are professional agents. I have the "I don't want sound like I'm insulting them" dilemma."

This is your problem - projecting fears on others. This is a great sales opportunity - take advantage.

If they invited you - they want to hear what you have to say - "they" want to be sold on your product. Let them decide what they want to hear and what they don't.

Pitch your business - show them the benefits. I think it is a great idea - might also try showing how the house sits on property and how it is in relation to the rest of the neighborhood.

Confidence sells - be confident.

cocoy
03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the tips.

This is a rare opportunity, so I want to present my service well.

seema
03-30-2009, 04:21 AM
For the presentation purpose most important thing to be remember is to present the topic in simple words, clear voice in fluent and confident way.
The topic which you are presenting should have relevant documentation.

cocoy
04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Had the presentation today and I think it went well. Their marketing manager has seen my work before and she was the one who asked me to come. After the presentation she asked if she could pass my name along to other offices in the area.

I think I'll get some clients here since several said jokingly, "Where were you last week? I just had some work done through the internet. I'd prefer someone local"

I think it also helped that they met me in person and I had a positive recommendation from the woman who creates their brochures and marketing materials.

Patrysha
04-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Good for you! Way to Go!!

Too many people let their fears get in the way of taking advantage of situations and opportunities that arise, especially when presentations and public speaking are involved...yet they can be such a powerful way to generate sales and leads.

Hope you got contact info from those who attended so you can follow up :-)