PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Twitter Guide

vangogh
03-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Found a nice post on all things Twitter. The ultimate guide to everything Twitter (http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/03/the-ultimate-guide-for-everything-twitter/) covers the basics.

If you've been using Twitter for awhile you probably know most of what's here, but you still may pick up a few things. If you're new to Twitter or looking to get involved you'll probably want to read this post.

rezzy
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I think the title is funny, how many ultimates can you throw to out do the last ultimate twitter list?

Super Duper Ultimate Twitter list?

Anyhow, the list looks like a good source of even more Twitter apps and tools. I am starting to think Twitter is becoming over-mined and over analyzed. But I cant break away. Even fail whale has become more and more common. I saw this video and thought it was really funny.

Twitter Video (http://cli.gs/2hSRLW)

vangogh
03-25-2009, 03:12 PM
The word ultimate is kind of funny at this point in post titles. Just a way to get people to click more.

Twitter is finally going mainstream, which is why you're seeing all the analysis and posts and new tools and...well you get the idea. The post is mostly intro stuff, but there are some good tools listed and even active Twitter users will probably find something new it it.

Funny video. I saw it last night on another site. Another funny because it's true video.

Chimpie
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
The question is... how long will Twitter last? Or, how long will the Twitter craze last?

vangogh
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
No reason to think it's going away anytime soon. It's been around for years already and has finally hit the mainstream. It's has many millions in funding to keep it going. The question isn't how long it will last at this point. The question is what will their business model be.

Don't look for Twitter to go away in the near future.

rezzy
03-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I dont see it just falling off the map even with all the problems experinced recently. But I do wonder how they will monetize it. Other social networks have experience the same sort of thing.

I also Twitter will only increase in popularity. It wont go back for a few years, or until the next new thing comes out.

janicejan
04-06-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm not a big fan of twitter and I'm not a twitter hater, I can say that twitter can really bring traffic to our site, actually I just spend around 20 minutes a day on twitter and post random twits, actually the title so called ultimate twitter "The ultimate guide to everything Twitter" is pretty attractive and its what we really need to do in every twits, post something that's very catchy to get the attention of other people..

rezzy
04-06-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree that creating a catchy title is important to bring someone in, but my point was what do you do you out do "the ultimate guide". There reaches a point where ultimate, becomes boring.

For instance in the "olden" days rock stars would break guitars. After that got old that broke thier drums, next tearing off chicken heads, it reaches a point where you are looking for the next "ultimate" to beat out the last. Instead of just making a clever title, you throw ultimate on the front and call it something special.

vangogh
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I know what you mean Bryan. The hype that some post titles use has gotten somewhat ridiculous. Ultimate is one of those words that gets thrown around too often. The thing is words like that do work to get people to click into your post. That's why you see it used so frequently. If 'ultimate' reaches a point where people are so tired of it they don't click, then bloggers will find another word that means essentially the same thing. Eventually they'll come back to 'ultimate'

I don't think the idea is to look for something to out do ultimate. It's about looking for a word that gets people to read your content.

rezzy
04-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Steven maybe thats what we need to start doing, placing Ultimate ..... in every post we make.

vangogh
04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
If you use the word too much it loses its effectiveness. You have to use it only on posts that can deliver on the promise to a degree. Many of the ultimate posts you see are compilations of tutorials. Say you wanted to write the ultimate post on learning php. You might then find 100 other posts and organize them into different categories of learning. If your post is a simple top 10 list then the word ultimate will fall flat.

janiels
04-11-2009, 12:14 AM
it seems to be a good guide with an interesting title, but for me there's no such thing as ultimate because things on internet is evolving and methods are changing, so if you were saying ultimate it should be the most effective.. but there are new discoveries soon to be made that will be much more effective.

vangogh
04-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah 'ultimate' is definitely an overused word in article titles. I hope that doesn't overshadow looking into the post though. It really was a pretty good overview of Twitter.

janiels
04-11-2009, 01:06 AM
I read about the whole twitter guide and I'm really impressed with the information and tips I got from them.. not bad indeed to be called "ultimate twitter guide".. :p