PDA

View Full Version : SSI situation and disabled

kitt
09-22-2014, 03:53 AM
Hello I hope everybody is having a great day today. I have a few questions that are causing me not to sleep well at night. I am a person who draws an ssi check that is in a power wheelchair and lives with his girlfriend.

I have an it consulting and web hosting business that is technically owned by my girlfriend. This is to protect me from losing my SSII. We barely make it day by day and afraid everyday something is going to happen to my SSI.

Everybody thinks I am the owner as i run everything and call my self the president of my company and my girlfriend as the owner. Is this ok to do? Can there be a president that runs everything and does not have to be a legal member of my business.for tax reasons.

How should I be doing this? Is there anybody on here who might be in a similar situation that can help me?

MyITGuy
09-22-2014, 10:55 AM
As far as your SSI, I doubt ownership of the company would cause an issue...what would be taken into consideration is your personal income.

As an employee (President or not), your (girlfriends?) company should be paying you a fair/reasonable wage for your time (I.E. The IRS and government will catch on if you try and skirt the books by not paying yourself, or by paying yourself $1 or etc...)

Harold Mansfield
09-22-2014, 11:24 AM
I have to agree that I don't think SSI works that way. It's supposed to be exactly as you are using it. As supplemental income for disabled persons who have limited resources.

Disability Benefits is another story because it is for people who cannot work at all and have no means of making any income due to a medical condition or without risking death. I'm pretty positive that if you are making income and collecting disability and you get caught that it would be a problem.

I'd still talk to your SSI case worker or an attorney just to be sure.