PDA

View Full Version : Art for Fun

Jagella
03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I originally studied illustration as a possible career move, but lately I seem to be focusing on graphic design and have put illustration on the back burner. Nevertheless, I find creating illustrations to be a lot of fun. It's a release for me and is a way of expressing my inner artist. You can have fun too.

Although I've dabbled in illustration for years, what really inspired me was a DVD by Nils Osmar entitled simply “Cartooning.” Nils does a good job of demonstrating that cartooning is easy, and if you have a PC and Photoshop, you can really express yourself in ways that will amaze you if nobody else.

Anyway, the first step in creating your artwork is to come up with an idea for your subject. A subject can be anything you can envision including people, landscapes, animals, machines, buildings, or maybe something abstract. I find other people's artwork to be inspiring, and if I see a good illustration that I think is within my ability to emulate, then I may use it to get a good idea of how to create something that incorporates the same techniques.

Once I've decided on the basic concept and the subject of the work, I grab a pencil and a sheet of paper and get to work. I don't bother using any fancy tools or equipment at this stage. I just concentrate on what I'm trying to do and don't fuss over the details that much. When I'm done drawing with the pencil, I ink it with a marker to create the lines I wish to save.

When my preliminary sketch is completed to my satisfaction, I scan it into Photoshop. The inked lines become very useful in Photoshop because they are usually dark enough to help me make selections and apply color to parts of the sketch with the Paint Bucket tool. I can make arbitrary choices of colors using the swatches or the Color palette. If I want to be a little more “realistic” with color, I may use the Eyedropper tool to sample color from another illustration or photo. Skin color and lip color from photos are especially useful when applying color to parts of a human face or body.

Once the basic colors are applied, I tweak them to produce the effects of light. I may select a subject's throat, for instance, and use the Paintbrush tool to apply a darker hue to the top of the throat creating a shaded area under the chin. The Dodge and Burn tools are handy for creating highlights and shadows, respectively. If I want an eye or lip to look shiny, a tittle dab of white with the Paintbrush tool can do wonders.

Photoshop's layers can be very helpful to isolate a part of the image for editing and for creating transparency effects. If I don't like an effect or I'm not sure if it's an improvement, placing it on a layer makes it easy to compare the image with and without that effect. Layers can also be used to adjust the opacity of part of an image creating the look of glass.

Finally, if I want to share my masterpiece with the world, I save it as a JPEG to my website's graphics folder and then send it to the remote server using Dreamweaver. The rest, I trust, is self-explanatory.

http://freeforalldesigns.com/graphics/girl-with-glasses.jpg

Jagella

vangogh
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Good for you working on art in addition to design. Nice process you have for it too.

Art is interesting in the respect that we can all practice it for any reason we want. Some practice just for the fun of doing. Some might want to make others happy. Some want to make statements that change the world. All are right in their reasons.

Jagella
03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Art is interesting in the respect that we can all practice it for any reason we want. Some practice just for the fun of doing. Some might want to make others happy. Some want to make statements that change the world. All are right in their reasons.

That's right, Steve, when I was a kid I used a crayon and a coloring book; now I use Photoshop. Although the tools have changed, the act and its motivation remain much the same.

Do you ever create art for fun?

Jagella

vangogh
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
I haven't as much lately simply for lack of time, but I do like to create things solely for fun. I'd like to get back to it more. I enjoy drawing and would like to do some painting.

Jagella
03-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I haven't as much lately simply for lack of time, but I do like to create things solely for fun. I'd like to get back to it more. I enjoy drawing and would like to do some painting.

I assume you use traditional methods (real lead and paint). What do you think of digital art? I think of computers and programs like Photoshop as analogous to spreadsheet software: I may not be terribly adept at adding columns of numbers with only pencil and paper, but with a program like Excel, I'm much better at it. The same thing goes for Photoshop. It greatly enhances my artistic abilities as limited as they may be even with it.

Jagella

vangogh
03-23-2009, 07:10 PM
I like some digital art and some I don't care for. Things like Photoshop are simply tools. They don't create art. They help the artist express their vision. I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't use Photoshop to create art, the same way I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't use crayons on paper bags.

It's up to the artist to choose his or her tools and I'd suggest that the choice in tools is part of the art since it will affect the final work.

customtollfree
03-27-2009, 04:35 PM
I should say Jagella, you have a talent. Normally when you become an expert, you can move to the next level which is 3D.

vangogh
03-27-2009, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't say 3D is the next level of artistic acheivment. It's just another art form. It's neither better or worse by default.

Jagella
03-28-2009, 12:14 AM
I should say Jagella, you have a talent. Normally when you become an expert, you can move to the next level which is 3D.

Something really strange is happening—in one day I get kudos on two different works, a web page comp and now an illustration. I am ready to kick ass, after all! (Whoops, can I say “ass” in this forum?) :D

Thanks

Jagella

seolman
03-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Nice work Jagella and nice post. I'm so frustrated because I have my easel set up and drawing pad ready to do some serious art and time is just not allowing me to get back into my painting... you've reminded me I have to get back to my oils.

Jagella
03-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Nice work Jagella and nice post. I'm so frustrated because I have my easel set up and drawing pad ready to do some serious art and time is just not allowing me to get back into my painting... you've reminded me I have to get back to my oils.

If you're familiar with A Christmas Carol, life is more than just business. Sometimes we just need to kick back and enjoy ourselves. I'd encourage you to find time for your art. It's good for the “seol.”

Jagella

seolman
03-28-2009, 04:20 PM
If you're familiar with A Christmas Carol, life is more than just business. Sometimes we just need to kick back and enjoy ourselves. I'd encourage you to find time for your art. It's good for the “seol.”

Jagella

Touché

:)