PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on an idea

vball018chick
09-17-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm toying with the idea of starting a grocery delivery service on my downtown college campus. I've tried getting people's thoughts on it down here without much success so I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions?

vangogh
09-18-2014, 05:14 AM
Welcome to the forum vball018chick. Do you mind sharing more of your thoughts on how the business would work? It'll help us give you some feedback.

For example what kind of college is it? Is a private school? A state school? I'm trying to get at how much money the students likely have. As someone who went to college, I can tell you when I was there I never had money. Another question is do you literally mean campus as in the dorms? It has been awhile since I was in school, but I don't remember doing a lot of cooking in the dorms. I remember eating in school cafeterias or student union a lot and both were paid for with a meal card that had money on it. It has been awhile though, so perhaps things are different than I remember.

Anything more you can tell us about who you think will be your customers and more details about how the business will work it would be helpful.

Blessed
09-18-2014, 09:01 AM
I think it sounds like the start of a great idea - but as Steve mentioned, we really need more info.

Along the same line there is a new drive-thru grocery store here in the Kansas City Metro area which I think is a fabulous idea! Unfortunately it won't work for me, but it's something my grandmother would have loved and I would have used when I worked outside the home more than full time...
Drive-through only grocer Zoomin Market opens in Olathe | The Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cityscape/article347452/Drive-through-only-grocer-Zoomin-Market-opens-in-Olathe.html)

Freelancier
09-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Some thoughts:

1. Who are your intended customers? If it's students, you probably should already know that most students don't have extra cash to pay for a delivery service. And they often have lots of extra time on their hands to do things like go shopping for food. That's not a good market. A better market are people who have lots of extra cash and not enough time. That usually means looking to the people who buy those expensive in-town condos.

2. There's a reason the people you ask about this are not interested in it. Could be tied to #1.

3. You might find that you can make better money tutoring and not be so tied to a daily delivery schedule. I'm astounded at how much people get now for tutoring high school kids in algebra.

Harold Mansfield
09-18-2014, 09:35 AM
When I was a student my extra money went for drinking, clothes, and social activities. Not getting stuff delivered. Not even pizza.
Definitely need more info about the area.

I agree with everyone else that says that's the kind of business you open in an area where people have the income to support that kind of luxury service.

bjay99
09-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Without the information, very hard to give feedback. Having said that, if you haven't received good feedback may suggest the need is not there. Have you surveyed your prospective customers?