PDA

View Full Version : Topics for How-To Newsletter

DrAnthonyRodriguez
09-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Hi!

I am planning to publish a FREE how-to newsletter about business and computing.

What business or computing how-to topics would you include in the newsletter? Please be specific.

Thank you.

Dr. T

David Hunter
09-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Who's the newsletter going to? Business owners?

DrAnthonyRodriguez
09-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Dear David,

Thank you for your reply.

The target markets are (1) entrepreneurs who are planning to start small businesses and (2) small business owners.

Dr. T

Fulcrum
09-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Dear David,

Thank you for your reply.

The target markets are (1) entrepreneurs who are planning to start small businesses and (2) small business owners.

Dr. T

My opinion on this is don't do it as I think your time would probably be better monetized elsewhere. It's been done to death. You can only use simple examples as every business is different - even if they are in the same field. A quick Google search pulls up many of these types of "how to" newsletters and manuals.

If you could narrow down the range of possible subscribers to a specific, under served niche, you might be able to go places with this.

Please don't take offense as I don't know your business. I just hate to see people waste their time on something that probably won't go anywhere.

Harold Mansfield
09-18-2014, 02:01 AM
I agree. Don't do it. It's been done to death and continues to be done to death every single day.

It's as if that's the first thing that pops into everyone's head when they think about starting their own business.

Not to mention, "Business and Computing" is such a HUGE, general, non-descriptive category that could pretty much mean anything. There is no way that you can cover any and everything that falls under it. Honestly, I don't even know what "Computing" means.

If you have some specific knowledge and experience that you want to share or offer as a service, then do that. Specialize in something. Don't try to start a business doing something that you are asking other people how to do, and that a million other people start every single day because it's doubtful that you are going to create any General Knowledge that isn't readily available to anyone who knows what Google is.

Hate to be so blunt, but starting yet another "Business and Computing" thing is not the great idea that everyone is waiting for, that you think it is.
There isn't a problem of not enough information out there.

Evotank
09-18-2014, 07:26 AM
I tend to agree with the others, and would recommend that you put your energy and time elsewhere, but if you are not to be deterred, and are hell bent on doing it come hell or high water, then my advice is don't be general, such as 'business and computing' but be as niche as you can. Really narrow it down to a specialized topic(s), then maybe you can stand out.

bparris
09-18-2014, 10:26 AM
I would have to agree that the topic is way too general for someoene like yourself to start from scratch. You could get subscribers but like I said you would have to go about 3 or 4 levels more specific as far as topics go.

<removed>