PDA

View Full Version : Please review my site. It is not converting.

KDeshun23
09-15-2014, 09:45 AM
My website is www.millennialresume.com (http://www.millennialresume.com) It is a resume writing service geared torwards college students. The site is the first few months of opening, and it is getting views, but no one is really making purchases. I'm thankful for any feedback or help. Please don't hold back. Be as honest as you can.

Harold Mansfield
09-15-2014, 11:18 AM
My website is www.millennialresume.com (http://www.millennialresume.com) It is a resume writing service geared torwards college students. The site is the first few months of opening, and it is getting views, but no one is really making purchases. I'm thankful for any feedback or help. Please don't hold back. Be as honest as you can.

Off the top of my head, I'm not crazy about the design. It's not bad, but it's still missing the feel of a professional services company.

You could use an immediate call to action with some pricing after or with "Start your career". I'd find a way to include something like "Resume Services starting at...$$$".
You have blog posts in two places on the Home page. Get rid of the "Follow our blog" section at the top. It's not more important than the product. It's additional, helpful but non related information. Your home page should be a sales page.
Not a fan of the memes as featured images on the home page. They look cheap. Use those Facebook where they belong. I'd use professional, career driven images of people who look like your target demographic.
I'd put the testimonials higher on the page and more pronounced. I'd actually probably feature them (bigger) above the fold if I could find space.
Same with "Quick Facts About Us". That's important sales copy. Why is it buried at the bottom? Also, I'd probably call that section of text "Why Choose Us".
Your inside pages could use some images. Good images. Right now they look bare and you're not doing anything to help present the message.
About Us, Why Choose Us, and Our Culture are basically the same thing. You don't need 3 different pages for that. One well structured page can handle all of that information. Also, on About Us, you use the word "Awesome" too many times. Take it down a notch. Most people want to know who you are and what your credentials are...not how great you think you are.
If you take away the wasted navigation links, you can now feature each of your services in the navigation and give them their own page. Better for SEO, and gives you an opportunity to provide more information so people can see What's in it for them. How you will help them. And how you will deliver the service. What's the process?
Not a big fan of the Gallery, but if you're going to have it at least label the images with what University they are from, and where on campus it is... to show off where people are using your services so that others can see people just like them are using it.
Your contact page is bare. Makes your site look Fly by Night. Also some additional contact information so that I know you are real people would help. Phone number, hours of operation ( if possible), company members, email address.
Social Media. You've linked to 3 completely bare Social Media accounts with not even so much as a custom cover image, no status updates, no company information..nothing. Looks like no one is home. Is this an existing company? Or something someone started months (or years) ago and never came back?

On your sales process: You can't write a resume' without knowing more about the person you're writing it for. Therefore it's going to be hard to get people to pay upfront before they know what the process is that makes that happen. Especially when there is no way for them to submit that information before they pay you. You say 24 hours. OK, so what happens after I pay? Does someone contact me? When? What information do I need to have ready? How do I submit it?

If you want to automate this transaction you need to work on your process. Right now I wouldn't give you my credit card number either. Make it easy for people to do business with you. All of it. Not just the pay part.

All these little things add up in a person mind and makes them form a perception of your business. They can't put their finger on everything that is wrong, they just know it's not right and it takes away their confidence to do business with you.

On a side note..thinking you can whip out something that requires the client to give you specific information before you can complete it...within 24 hours is admirable, but is probably setting yourself up for failure. If you plan on pulling that off you need to guide them of what, and how to submit that information or you'll never meet that deadline. You'll be waiting days for stuff. Trust me.

That's all I have.

Paul
09-16-2014, 12:37 AM
I think Harold covered the design and marketing parts, but I have to be a little brutal here on the overall concept, sorry.

First, why would a college student want another college student to write a resume for entry into an industry that the writer likely has no clue about? Really, you are still students yourselves, right? The old guy behind the desk may sound humorous BUT that’s exactly who should be writing the resumes. Somebody who has actually been on or conducted interviews and has experience in HR or at least in hiring. The student to student thing doesn’t make sense to me. IE: would you trust an important legal matter to a law student or to an experienced attorney? A career is pretty darn important. I’m not saying you can’t do it BUT why emphasize an obvious lack of experience as a feature?

For me, the site looks less than serious. Instead of pictures of Clint how about some discussion of career paths, industry hiring statistics, and such.

The most important part of a resume isn’t necessarily the individual’s info, it is often knowing what the target company or industry is looking for. There’s hundreds of resume templates and software that can make a pretty format. A professional resume writer needs to know how to prioritize information and make the best presentation for particular positions. You probably know all this BUT you don’t emphasize it on the site.

You should also talk tech up a bit. Explain how your “key word and phrases” writing will get their resume past the computerized (or human) screening process. This is a serious issue for job seekers especially when dealing with large corporations.

Just a few comments for your consideration.
Paul, the old guy behind a desk

Helper101
09-16-2014, 03:51 PM
I will do you a kindness and post your website to my college student friend and get comments on the site. Now my current comments.

A: GET RID OF YOUR MEMES!!( That yells kids, teenage which = unprofessional unfortunately) (The Oprah one can go in a blog but not front page.) I understand you want to relate with your young viewers, but images speak loud than words so use those quiet words to relate.

B: GET OUT THERE! All of these online business and Corporations love dealing with up and coming sites. Email executives, business owner interview questions and tips. This creates a business connection between you and your clients and enhance your resume creation process by providing and underlying checklist of what your resume needs period. You need to have a field entering feature for your clients.

C: Lower your Price!: Your aiming at college students. Most students are on budgets, 150 dollar is a textbook for them, so for a basic level resume they will not buy it instead they'll think" I can do my own basic level resume for free." and move on.

D: Make your testimonials a full page success story blog post , it will make a connection with clients that there more to the business. A job and career database will make the resume proceed more accurate. A job feed would be a great idea, in the sense of finding a job filling a application and getting a resume done all in one setting. Account creation feature!

E: Fix your about us to make it more professional (Get rid of college . Fix your Galley, you want job related picture not university pics.

Okay off to post your site to my friends, will edit post with reviews.

tallen
09-17-2014, 05:29 AM
In the blurb about the cowboy, "up most confidence" should be "utmost confidence." There are numerous other problems, including missing punctuation, in other blurbs on the front page. For the service you are offering, you really need to make sure that your grammar, spelling, and punctuation, are absolutely impeccable.

Evotank
09-18-2014, 07:02 AM
It's a great idea with the job market the way it is and all the above are salient points so you really need to take them to heart if you are going to make it a success.

Some of the posters here have given some really good feedback and taken a lot of time and effort to help you out. For what its worth...rewrite your headline that gives them the answer to their obvious questions, like what you can offer and why choose you

Give them a reason to give at least enter their email address so you can start building a list of subs and then you can start to win them over

You have a money back guarantee? Really? A guarantee against what? A time frame, getting an interview, getting a job?

Your target market, traditionally, do not have bundles of cash to spend on something that will do nothing for them so you need to build credibility, give them benefit after benefit after benefit, loads of value and call to actions...make it easy

In the 'Why Choose Us' one of the BENEFITS listed is that you love art and photography!!!!! . Imagine your visitor has a big sign on his forehead that reads "SO WHAT?"

Also, please check your site for grammar and typo's :(

bparris
09-18-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry to say this but you've kind of missed the point with your website. You have grammar mistakes. No let me say that again, GRAMMAR MISTAKES. That's a must fix if you want people to take you seriously. Second, if you're still in college you might want to lower the prices to get more exposure b ecause you have plenty time to make the big and repeat sales.

You really need to reformat your website so the first page is a sales page and then you can keep your blog posts in your blog part of the website. You want to make more sales? You need to really hit the benefits for your potential customers. Literally say who would be a good person to try this out.

Please change the "Why Choose Us." If it didn't say done by college kids, I would've said high school.

Make a clear call to action!
<removed>

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Harold Mansfield
09-21-2014, 12:11 PM
I only spent 1 minute on your website and came across a few examples of bad grammar and poor copy writing. The words on your pages do not flow well. It doesn't read like it was written by a team of "business professionals; HR managers, resume writers, and entrepreneurs".

It reads like it was put together quickly by someone looking to capitalize on a hot trend, but not like it was created by anyone who knows anything about writing resume's, or Linked In. Or possibly that American English is not your first language so your use of verbs and conjugation is off, and your sentence structure reads like a rough translation.

If you are targeting American College students who need resume's for American companies this will not do.

Sorry to be so harsh, but it just doesn't give me any confidence. I wouldn't want my resume's written like this.

Fulcrum
09-21-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm with Harold. Too many grammatical errors just on the first page. You don't have enough contact info (sure it's an online business but that doesn't mean you don't have an office nor a phone number). I don't believe the testimonials that flash across the bottom ("you made me look good on paper"?) as they read like they were written by the web designer and attached to a few selfies or stock photos.

I can't offer many design suggestions as there are many others here better suited for that. I will say that the site comes across as amateurish. You'd almost be better off to run your business as a temp agency/head hunter service rather than a resume writer.

JayJay
09-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Hi, I saw the site, Its not converting because you are not communicating what you want the consumer to do next. There is no clear call to action that explains what will happen when the consumer clicks on the buttons "Get a helping hand"

tallen
09-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Design is only one part of any site; content is another issue. But why are you starting a new thread? Personally, I think you should be posting the follow-up and continuation of discussion about your site in your original thread.

http://www.small-business-forum.net/website-reviews/12523-please-review-my-site-not-converting.html

Harold Mansfield
09-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Design is only one part of any site; content is another issue. But why are you starting a new thread? Personally, I think you should be posting the follow-up and continuation of discussion about your site in your original thread.

http://www.small-business-forum.net/website-reviews/12523-please-review-my-site-not-converting.html
I didn't even notice that. Thanks. I knew something felt familiar about.