PDA

View Full Version : Please give me a new WP theme...

on_my_own
09-11-2014, 07:01 AM
I would like to change the wordpress theme for my website, but there's so many to choose from. Would appreciate it if someone took a minute to check out my site and recommend a simple theme I can look in to..:D Trying to find a theme that has the same features as my current homepage, but a lot better looking or "eye catching". Any input would be great.

GetOffYours.com – Shop (http://www.getoffyours.com)

THanks!

Harold Mansfield
09-11-2014, 08:34 AM
As you said, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of themes out there at any given time. Looking for the right one is time consuming, and there's no way we can just look at your current website and know what "features" you are looking for, or what you consider "eye catching". You are going to get best results by taking charge and looking through possible themes for your website yourself.

on_my_own
09-11-2014, 09:28 AM
You're right Harold, there's just so many themes out there and I'm a bit overwhelmed hehe...I just want a simple theme where I can have a few photos in the background and icons that link to my other pages of the website. I have been looking on themeforest. Any other suggestions on websites to check out some WP themes?

Harold Mansfield
09-11-2014, 10:13 AM
You're right Harold, there's just so many themes out there and I'm a bit overwhelmed hehe...I just want a simple theme where I can have a few photos in the background and icons that link to my other pages of the website. I have been looking on themeforest. Any other suggestions on websites to check out some WP themes?

If I'm buying a theme, it's pretty much Woo or Themeforest for me. I'm going to hack and customize it anyway so I'm looking at reviews, ratings, and trying to get an idea how how it's coded to make sure it's not over coded. I personally stay away from frameworks like Genesis, but some users like them.

There are just too many variables as to what you need, want, what your technical skill level is, what plug ins you're running, and so on and so on to be able to send you in a specific direction.

vangogh
09-11-2014, 12:12 PM
there's just so many themes out there and I'm a bit overwhelmed

It's the same for the rest of us. As much as I'd like to help, I'm not going to spend hours looking through themes for you. When clients ask me about themes I send them to WordPress.org and have them check the themes there. I don't send them anywhere else. I prefer to design and develop my own themes for both myself and clients. I don't care much for most of the themes out there, free or commercial. I find all of them very limiting.

The reason I recommend WordPres.org is because those themes have at least meet some basic guidelines for what the people behind WordPress think are important. They check the quality of the code, make sure the code meets certain security standards, and things like that.

Ultimately you just have to look and wade through all the themes out there. If it's taking too much time maybe you should consider how much that time is worth and think about hiring someone to create a custom theme for you.

Nostromov
09-11-2014, 11:26 PM
If I'm buying a theme, it's pretty much Woo or Themeforest for me.

& also the reason being: w/each new version (sometimes) minor and (always) major, the template(s) WILL change; buying a theme from a "pro" site (like those 2) becomes a *must* pretty much, for anyone wanting to keep a functional site (and not having to learn web development, themselves, in order to update their site, heh)

[..] and think about hiring someone to create a custom theme for you.

^^ For the reason(s) above, that may be a catastrophic business decision - in the long run (having to pay someone, every few weeks/months, in order to have a working site).

bjay99
09-12-2014, 12:22 AM
I recently purchased a theme on themeforest. My decision was based on customization, number of downloads, and support. The one I decided on was not the cheapest, but far from expensive.

This is the one I got. (http://themeforest.net/item/striking-multiflex-ecommerce-responsive-wp-theme/128763) Check out my link in my signature for an idea.

on_my_own
09-12-2014, 08:33 AM
I recently purchased a theme on themeforest. My decision was based on customization, number of downloads, and support. The one I decided on was not the cheapest, but far from expensive.

This is the one I got. (http://themeforest.net/item/striking-multiflex-ecommerce-responsive-wp-theme/128763) Check out my link in my signature for an idea.

Very clean and nice looking theme

Harold Mansfield
09-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Moving this over to the WordPress section of the forum

billbenson
09-12-2014, 04:39 PM
^^ For the reason(s) above, that may be a catastrophic business decision - in the long run (having to pay someone, every few weeks/months, in order to have a working site).

That's BS. That is why you select a good web designer with WP. Other 'good' designers can take it over if your designer is hit by a bus. and it is designed in such a manner that WP updates rarely affect the site. Try to do that with a free template!

Harold Mansfield
09-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Other 'good' designers can take it over if your designer is hit by a bus...

That's funny. I say that all of the time to my clients. Especially when explaining why I won't host their site for them, or why things should be in their name.