PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Monitor Set up. How to.

Harold Mansfield
09-10-2014, 10:24 AM
We had a discussion on anther thread about tablets vs laptops and started getting into productivity set ups. I got a PM asking about configuration and function of 3 monitors on the same computer so here it is.

A basic configuration is actually ridiculously simple, but you can get more complex.

In my experience 2 monitors work best on at least 8G RAM minimum. And 3 on at least 16G but that's just my preference based on what I use for work. I did run 2 on a 4G RAM XP computer years ago. It was functional but there was some lag at at times, especially when playing video.

For a basic set up you just need as many free USB ports as you want monitors (although I wouldn't go past 3-4 without some upgrades to your computer or buy one that is built for it), and get a couple of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Universal-Multi-Display-Adapter-K33974AM/dp/B00BSREURI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410357053&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=kensingtom+monitor+adapters%2C+usb

I actually have these:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Universal-Multi-Display-Adapter-Black/dp/B002F9NSMQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410380203&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=kensingtom+monitor+adapters%2C+hdmi

You want to use open USB ports. Not a USB hub.

Kensington isn't the only maker of these, yes it comes in USB 3.0 versions, and both Windows 8 and OS X support multiple monitors without needing any additional software.

After that you just need the monitors and a mutil monitor stand which vary in price from $79 to a couple hundred:
Amazon.com: multi monitor stand: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=multi%20monitor%20stand&sprefix=multi+m%2Celectronics)

Which stand is more complex than any of it. The free standing ones cost more and are probably best for most desks. I have an older one that is adjustable and braces on the back of the desk. Those are very heavy and if you don't have a very strong place to attach them, or additional support on them they will break off or warp your desk.

My stand holds 3 22" monitors, but it's a better configuration for me with 3 20" monitors since I like the outside 2 pulled in a little.
If your work area is big enough, you don't even need the stand you can just place your monitors normally. They don't make my stand anymore and they are much cheaper now. Choose carefully, not all of them have adjustable arms.

You don't have to have identical monitors if all you want is the function, but if you're doing any kind of graphic, design or video work having the same monitor with the same settings will make your life much easier. You can generally run whatever sized monitors you want. If you want to run 3 55" HDTV's (that have VGA ports) as monitors, go for it.

Yes it all works as one desktop environment.
Yes you can drag and drop from one screen to another.
Yes (depending on your computer's speed and internet access) you can run multiple programs at a time and put them on different screens. So yes you can have a video playing on the right, while running a Go To Meeting session in the middle, while updating your website on the left. Same keyboard, mouse as well as any other peripherals.

You can buy computers already configured with a graphics/video card that already have 2 VGA ports, or you can install a video card that supports 2 monitors. Not sure if there are cards with 3 VGA ports, but there are definitely setups available already configured with 4 and 6 monitors that run a few grand.

You can also go HDMI. A lot of gaming computers have at least one HDMI port, and most laptops have one. You can buy them with more as well as aftermarket cards.

The cool thing about using the HDMI port (besides the picture) is that you can use HDTV's as your monitors and add your TV cable to one. If your service requires a special box for HD signal you may want to consider that. But adding a Roku stick or any other kind of entertainment device like a game console to it is kind of cool. You can get 19"-32" Vizio HDTV's for almost the same price as a monitor these days, and they work well. I found a special last week for $149 for a 32" HDTV 1080p. It wasn't a smart TV, but for an extra $49 I can throw a Roku on it...problem solved.

And that's pretty much it. Pretty simple to do. Just make sure you have a decent amount of RAM and processor.

Brian Altenhofel
09-10-2014, 10:47 AM
The system RAM and CPU issue can be avoided by using video cards with a decent amount of memory.

I currently run 2 27" monitors off a 3GB ATI graphics card and a 24" off another matching card for my desktop. If I figure out a place to put it, I'll be getting another 27".

I also place my 17" laptop on a stand above my desktop. I use Synergy (http://synergy-project.org/) to share the keyboard, trackball, and clipboard between them, though usually my laptop screen is acting mostly as a monitoring kiosk rotating between browser tabs that have various monitoring dashboards loaded.

Harold Mansfield
09-10-2014, 10:58 AM
I use Synergy (http://synergy-project.org/) to share the keyboard, trackball, and clipboard between them, though usually my laptop screen is acting mostly as a monitoring kiosk rotating between browser tabs that have various monitoring dashboards loaded.

Synergy is for when you have multiple different computers and need to use one set of peripherals to work across all of them, is that right?

Brian Altenhofel
09-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Synergy is for when you have multiple different computers and need to use one set of peripherals to work across all of them, is that right?

Yes. Basically it's a network-based KM switch, though it does have some nice extras like clipboard sharing.

When I want to use my laptop, I just roll the cursor off the right side of my desktop canvas and it appears on my laptop. At that point, all keyboard input goes to the laptop. Switching between machines is just moving the cursor.

Harold Mansfield
09-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Depending on how fancy you want to get with your configuration a universal keyboard comes in handy.
I use this on one my TV and it controls the TV, Roku, XBOX One, Home Theater and Laptop, so it could feasibly also be used for multiple monitors or TV's if I had more than one there.
Harmony Smart Keyboard Remote - Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-smart-keyboard)
I don't like touch pads so I use a cheap $20 wireless mouse with it.

On my workstation I use a Logitech Wireless keyboard that was about $50. I've spent far more on keyboards over the years and this one is my favorite.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Combo-Mk550-Keyboard/dp/B003VAHYNC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-3&keywords=logitech+keyboard

and a Logitech trackball.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-001799-M570-Wireless-Trackball/dp/B0043T7FXE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410386591&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+trackball

Obviously you can use any computer peripherals you like, but if you're going all out and using HDTV's as monitors, or using this process for a computer/home theater set up you're going to want an All in One that is compatible will all of your stuff. The other cool thing about using TV's is that it's less work on your computer because the processor in the TV is running your cable, Roku and other things if you add all of that to your workstation. No need for a tuner card in your computer.

Probably want to get a UPS too. We have an occasional power outage in the summer around here. I have this one under my desk.
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-6&keywords=apc+surge+protector%2C+power+back+up

webdesignphx
09-11-2014, 01:44 AM
They say dual monitors increases productivity drastically. I have dual monitors and my other monitor is a TV.

billbenson
09-11-2014, 05:04 AM
Thanks for this post Harold. It's interesting.

When working, what do you typically have open on each monitor?

When taking a break or playing, what do you typically have open?

Do you typically have a lot of tabs open or memory intensive programs at the same time, or do you close out stuff you aren't using at that moment to preserve memory?

How often do you need to reboot?

Harold Mansfield
09-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks for this post Harold. It's interesting.

When working, what do you typically have open on each monitor?
It depends on what I'm doing. I usually start my day with Outlook on the right answering any over night emails, iTunes on the left or whatever news videos I'm catching up on, and using the middle to check my daily reports...stats, any social media campaigns and so on.

As the day goes on, it just depends.

For instance when I make a post on my music blog I'm frequently referencing submitted press so Word is open on one screen, resizing images so GIMP is open, searching the web for additional media, and of course applying any affiliate materials. Having the additional monitors makes it much quicker and easier to work.

When taking a break or playing, what do you typically have open?
I generally don't take breaks at my desk, I'll move around or go out for a bit. But it's normal for me to run a video on one screen of something while working on the other 2. I also don't play any games at my desk. If it's playtime then I may as well get up from the desk.

Do you typically have a lot of tabs open or memory intensive programs at the same time, or do you close out stuff you aren't using at that moment to preserve memory?
Depends. I could be running a Go To Meeting while editing images on the fly in GIMP, with an FTP program open, while doing website updates. Outlook and Internet Radio through iTunes are generally always running all day. I don't really have any lag or ever max out memory.

I can't recall many times when I had a freeze up or delay just doing my normal day to day activities and nothing else was causing it.

How often do you need to reboot?
The normal amount of times, like when updating something that requires a re-boot. I don't need to reboot as a normal course of just regular operations.

This computer is an HP Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit AMD Phenom II X 4 830 Processor, 16G RAM, ATI Radeon 4200. My internet speed is 150mbps.
Totally off the shelf which I purchased with with Windows 7 on it, just did a simple RAM upgrade and it's still plenty fast enough and never had any major issues with it. This is actually my second HP desktop that I only needed to do some simple upgrades on, and they have both served me well.

I do have a new Cybertron that's faster, with better graphics card, processor and 32G RAM, but I haven't set it up for work yet.

Harold Mansfield
09-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Bill, today was a good example:

I literally wrote a support email or response every 2-3 minutes for at least 2 hours straight to 4 different people, while I had their sites and social media accounts open troubleshooting issues and making adjustments on the fly. 2-4 tabs open on each monitor which were a combination of MS Word, FTP, WordPress dashboards, and Hootsuite.

Today was a good day to have 3 screens.