PDA

View Full Version : Websites that ask you to log in with your Social accounts. Yea or Nay?

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I used to think that websites that required a log in and gave you the option of signing in with you social media accounts were convenient.
However over the last couple of years I find that I avoid doing it, and here's why:

For simple things like leaving a comment I don't mind because they are generally non intrusive...just name, email and other personal account information.
But some marketers go too far. They want access to your contacts, and permission to post on your behalf. To me that's too much and completely out of line.

I understand why Marketers try to get as much information as possible, but I still think it's too much.

How do you guys feel about it? Do you sign into everything with your social accounts or do you avoid it?

Wozcreative
09-08-2014, 11:37 AM
I usually accept the log in.. then they have a question regarding asking me to use my contacts and other stuff.. I click "no" to that option and I like having that option asked.
As someone who uses the internet all the time, using social media is fine with me. To be honest I'd probably feel safer letting me twitter account be linked instead. It's less personal.

Freelancier
09-08-2014, 11:42 AM
I avoid social media accounts :) I think it's better that everyone not know so much about my personal life. What my wife posts is enough. But I'm an old fart who still clings to the outdated hope that my data is private when I don't publish it. :)

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2014, 11:54 AM
I avoid social media accounts :) I think it's better that everyone not know so much about my personal life. What my wife posts is enough. But I'm an old fart who still clings to the outdated hope that my data is private when I don't publish it. :)

I don't share many personal things on SM. Not even pictures. Facebook is the only personal account I have, and that is limited to jaw jacking with friends, cracking jokes and the occasional political discussion. All other accounts are for marketing.

Twitter log in is less intrusive because Twitter doesn't require as much personal information as Facebook. But even a Facebook account is only as personal as you make it.
Giving a site access to my stuff is one thing, but wanting my contacts is another. A lot of sites and apps don't give you the option to pick and choose. It's all or nothing, so I choose nothing.

KristineS
09-08-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't like logging in with my social media accounts precisely for the reason that they want to post on my timeline and want access to my contacts. I don't, as you pointed out Harold, mind it for commenting on blogs because, as a general rule, that's pretty benign. The rest of the time, however, I don't do it. My social media accounts are primarily work related, and I don't think anyone who follows those accounts needs to know I'm playing a particular game or whatever. I wish I'd seen more sites offering the opt out option that Woz mentioned, but I don't see that often.

Blessed
09-17-2014, 10:18 AM
I don't like logging in with my social media accounts precisely for the reason that they want to post on my timeline and want access to my contacts. I don't, as you pointed out Harold, mind it for commenting on blogs because, as a general rule, that's pretty benign. The rest of the time, however, I don't do it. My social media accounts are primarily work related, and I don't think anyone who follows those accounts needs to know I'm playing a particular game or whatever. I wish I'd seen more sites offering the opt out option that Woz mentioned, but I don't see that often.

I agree with Kristine. I mostly say "Nay" if it can be Twitter it's ok, but I don't have a personal Facebook account and don't want one either. Instagram is good for me. I won't link the business Facebook account unless it's a business related thing I'm doing online and then I don't want them to access all of my contacts.

MyITGuy
09-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Nope, I keep things segregated for personal/privacy reasons, but also for security (I.E. If someone were to gain access to the social media account, now they have access to these other sites as well and can do more damage)

billbenson
09-17-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't use my real info on the internet unless absolutely necessary. I always get happy birthdays from this forum on the wrong date :) It's similar, I'm not trying to hide my age, but my personal info yes. Sometimes you have to put in personal info, but it's rare.

David Hunter
09-17-2014, 05:41 PM
I never login with my social accounts. NEVER EVER EVER!!

If I go to a blog I like and want to comment, and see I can only do it with one of my social media accounts, I leave.

It's bad enough when I upload a picture to Facebook and it already knows who the other people are in my photo before I even get a chance to say anything about it. No need for others to have access to my social accounts.

DeniseTaylor
09-18-2014, 12:42 PM
I would probably use this function more, if everyone out there were ethical/honest. But so often things end up being abused, so I shy away from giving too much information.

In fact, this is a point about user experience, actually. If one has an online enterprise and finds that visitors don't like giving out their information, they should take heed. It's an indication the visitors don't like or trust the option and forcing it on them can backfire. ;-)

JoeInTheMiddle
09-22-2014, 09:47 AM
I generally only log in with my social accounts to sites that have a social slant. If they don't I avoid it. Like most people I'm concerned about privacy. If they ask for access to my contacts or to post to my wall I don't allow them. Simple.

bjay99
11-11-2014, 10:00 AM
It depends on the service/website. If it is a social networking service, I do.

If it is for retail - NO. If it is for sports groups - NO... etc.

chrismarklee
11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
You are correct, You are giving up privacy. The whole internet is full of private information that should not be accessible so easy. Social media sites are the worse.

brita811
11-14-2014, 12:59 AM

I completely agree with you that using social media should have some limits , they are always trying to collect contacts , personal data and this are too bothering! I think we should be aware of using social media.

ryantc
12-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Most website visitors tend to stay away from login for websites through their social media accounts. Simply because they do not want to mix their social media network activity with their website activity.

Brian Altenhofel
12-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Most website visitors tend to stay away from login for websites through their social media accounts.

There's plenty of marketing reports out there showing that more than half of users who have encountered social login on non-social sites use it.

NeckKnifeCentral
12-30-2014, 08:25 PM
I say 'Nay' because the fact of the matter is, if there is no additional 'register' option to whatever you are signing up for, there is simply no reason to even sign up in the first place. Even though it seems like everyone and their mother has a social media account. But there are far too many, in my humble opinion, who either do not have this or do not wish to link it in general. Its not even worth it to give up your personal info. In my opinion, either opt out, or create a psudo-account when signing up for such things!

BradyArevalo
01-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Personally, I dislike it. If it is the only option that I have to log in with my social account (and I really do not get any other chance to get your content or information otherwise) chances are that I am just going to go away and look for it elsewhere. The information you give away seems excessive a lot of the time.

likeaboss
06-01-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't particularly like it, but I also hate creating yet another account login and password so I have given up and given in. Now I just do it out of ease.

CardSSmile
06-07-2015, 06:05 PM
I always, allowed to get my email information etc. But as agree that they want to access to our accounts to post something for us.. that is WAYYY to much to ask..

LogansWalk
06-08-2015, 01:52 PM
If a site only allows me to register by logging-in through a social media account, I'll refuse - especially the ones that want access so they can spam you and your friend's pages with their b.s. - let alone giving them access to your personal info be it pm's, pics, etc.

Kumar Palani
06-09-2015, 02:50 AM
To start with I don't publish my Personal life story to the world using Social Networks. To me I don't use my persona profiles for marketing, and neither do I have a fake profile, it is not worth the time. I usually hate using social media sites to log into any website or service, for I don't want an app to post something on my social networks. Besides it takes less time to signup for an account.

billbenson
06-09-2015, 05:38 PM
To start with I don't publish my Personal life story to the world using Social Networks. To me I don't use my persona profiles for marketing, and neither do I have a fake profile, it is not worth the time. I usually hate using social media sites to log into any website or service, for I don't want an app to post something on my social networks. Besides it takes less time to signup for an account.

I'll second this one. I don't use my real name, birthday etc if I don't need to online. I do have a facebook page with my real name, but that is because it was necessary for reasons that aren't important.