PDA

View Full Version : Going into Flea Market / Trade show cutlery vendor

csingle
09-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Hello, I'm an owner of an small E Commerce business that sales knives and i wanting to go into selling at different flea markets, Trade shows, and other places to get more sales and also gain word of mouth marketing to keep my business more out there. Do I need a sign to say that we are not liable for any injuries due upon self conflicted, defected, or misused of any products? If show, How would i go by putting writing / typing it out?

Harold Mansfield
09-03-2014, 10:44 AM
I would just because some people are stupid. Not sure how much actual legal protection it gives you in whatever state you're in, but it can't hurt.
Whatever shows you go to will also probably have some requirements as well, such as having some kind of liability insurance, as well as whatever state you're in.

As for how to write it and what to say? You probably need to investigate what your actual liabilities are according to your local laws. Many times I've seen those kind of statements reference the actual statute that limits their liability or an "use at your own risk" type of law.

Example: "Not responsible for lost or missing items" NRS 129.35

I'm assuming you can't take knives out in public without some kind of insurance, so your insurer will probably have more information for you on exactly what your liabilities are and how to word a disclaimer.

csingle
09-03-2014, 11:04 AM
I live in North Carolina and know many laws about here and plus i have documents of legal laws for others sites as well since some knives i will not ship to certain states cause of there laws, hurts a sale but saves me from getting into trouble over it. But i know for a fact the NC, you can't own or sell any type of ballistic or projectile knives and I do not sell to no one under the age of 18 years with any doubt, I ask for ID.