PDA

View Full Version : was this begging or a good thing

huggytree
03-21-2009, 08:14 PM
i just finished a large lake house for a very high end builder..possibly in the top 5 highest end builders in the area. it was the first house ive done for them. My work turned out beautiful...im very proud and did everything right.

along the way there was a few issues...some my fault, some the homeowners, one major one was the fixture showroom girl i sent them to(i have quit working with her since)....every issue was resolved...the issue they had with me was fixed and i paid someone to do the repair. The homeowner issues were constant, but i held it together....

the house is done, the homeowner is right in front of me. i shake his hand and say 'enjoy your new home and nice working for you'. then i said ' if you are happy with my work could you please let the builder know. its the first house ive done with him and i tried very hard to do the best job possible for him and it could help me land future projects.'....he says 'we already told him a while back, but will tell him again. we had a plumber friend come over and he said he could tell it was not an ordinary plumber who did the house.'

was this a positive to ask the homeowner to tell the builder about me?

or was it begging?....he took it well..im just wondering what you all think?

the homeowner is already asking me about future projects

the builder was difficult to work with, but paid me incredibly fast and is well organized....both of which are unusual to find....most builders are slow payers and unorganized......so weighing the difficult vs the organized id say i would definately work with them again.....

i asked the expeditor if there was anything he would like me to do different next time...he said it all looked good to him....he's hard to read..seems angry all the time...im good at reading people...i cant read him at all.

im not getting a good feeling that they were happy with me though...they have an incredible ego....they made the homeowner select higher end fixtures because the homeowner 1st choice of 'basic' fixtures arent allowed in a house built by them....as normal for me i was the 1st sub done with the rough and finish...i came on the exact day which i was scheduled..all issues were handled immediately....i would do nothing different...prefect performance....they have a new project starting which i didnt bid on...so either ive been dropped already, or they were waiting to see how this one turns out before giving me a 2nd chance....

i am considering writing a nice letter to the builder saying how i enjoyed working with them and would like future work...basically buttering him up. im waiting to see how the builders final walk through goes before making the final decision if i want to work with them again or not...it should go well.

write the letter or not?...i vote a strong YES

thx4yrtym
03-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Huggy,

The comment from the plumber friend should be a testimonial on your web site in the future ( with Permission ). That should feel good.

Being difficult and having the big egos , that can't afford to have you feel to good. It's not on their nature to act that way. I would suspect they are very pleased and will call them , but It's going to be their idea.

Thought about the letter idea. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of feeling like you were buttering them up. But that's just me. My ego's pretty healthy too.
I might send a letter that seems more like a form letter, saying that YOU are pleased with the work done but if there is ever anything they or the homeowner finds fault with , that you expect a call immediately.
I probably wouldn't thank them for the business. Let's see what others think.

regards,

Steve B
03-22-2009, 06:20 AM
I would write the letter and I don't see anything wrong with you asking for them to tell the builder they were happy with your work.

There are some subtle things I'd be careful of in your wording however. When you say: "its the first house ive done with him and i tried very hard to do the best job possible for him"

- this could easily be construed to say that once you get a couple jobs under your belt with him you'll go back to your normal sub-standard work. Instead, you should make it clear you have a high standard of work on all projects - regardless of who it is.

greenoak
03-22-2009, 05:25 PM
i would write the letter to the builder and keep it short and sweet..
as in;;;;.i really enjoyed working with you and call me anytime..... thanks huggy....
aim for open and available and not overboard....he knows what kind of job you did...i wouldnt go on about that...
what does the homeowner want? that sounds good too...hes a fan of yours it sounds like..
.i probably wouldnt have asked for a reccommendation...
ann

huggytree
03-22-2009, 06:11 PM
i had an article in the newspaper that the homeowner saw about reverse osmosis. he wants me to install a system for his house. he was asking me tons of questions which i barely knew the answers to.

they think im an expert because i wrote about it in the newspaper.(ive installed 1). (the newspaper asked me to write about several subjects...this is the one they printed so far)

i have to be careful doing work for homeowners right after the house is done...builders usually want me to go through them, so they can make the 10% markup on my work. so ill have to call the builder and get the OK....its considered their customer, not mine.

i want any edge on getting another house. thats why i asked the homeowners for their help....this house was $20,000 in plumbing...this was a small house for them...plumbing typically is $40,000+ for them....so keeping them as a future customer could mean millions over my career....

orion_joel
03-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Huggy, i think that there is nothing wrong with asking the homeowner, to mention how good you are to the builder. While i do imagine some would sit there an claim this to be begging. In fact i believe it is more a case that you have to ask or you wont get. The same with any thing giving some business cards to a customer and asking them to give them to their friends you wouldnt call begging it is smart business. The same with asking for referrals after you have done a good job.

So why would asking the homeowner, to say it is a good job to the builder. It is something that comes down to if you do not ask you do not get. If you get my gist.Just like if you go to buy you supplies. If you need ten of something you probably will pay the same price as buying one unless you ask, and then you may get a discount.