PDA

View Full Version : Questions about private advertising.

Harold Mansfield
03-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I have been wanting to try my hand in private advertising for a while now. The ad programs available to me, do nothing for me at all, and they rarely have any advertisers that fit the niche...it's basic free downloads, and ring tones crap.

It is very different elsewhere. Dance Music Events have corporate sponsorship from liquor and beer companies, car makers, and technology companies all over the world, except the U.S.

Based on the response of some of my contacts that feed me information about their artists, events, new releases and such..it seems like it would be pretty doable, and I have added a translator to capture more of that traffic. ( had it before and it was great..almost double the traffic....but my old host told me it was drawing too much bandwidth...newer versions seem a lot less intrusive)

So what I want to know is:

What kind of statistical information do I need to supply ?

Can I change the rules, IOW, is it a very specific niche...do I have to follow the same rates as general advertisers who pay per 1000 views to anybody who is looking?

I did some testing in the last week from the slots that I added for private video ads, and it wasn't bad. For many of the videos, my blog was the top referrer in click throughs to the point of sale, or more info.

Does anyone have any experience running their own ad rates ? and what do you base it on ? Niche ? Traffic only ? Page Views ? Impressions (or in my case it would be video plays, and click throughs)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

nealrm
03-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Right now selling advertising is hard work, but it can be done.

I recently switched from a fixed monthly fee to a CPM (cost per 1000 views) rate. The odd thing is the advertisers appear to be more willing to spend money when they know the number of times an ad will appear. I used to offer a $25 a monthly flat rate and had few takers. I now offer a $5 CPM rate with a min purchase of $25. I have sold 3 in the last 2 weeks at (guess what) $25 with the ad spaced out over a month.

Most advertisers will want to know your market demographics, your site traffic, how the ad will be displayed, what other advertisement will be on the page and your rate. It also helps to have something ready to backup your claims

Harold Mansfield
03-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Interesting. I was actually thinking about doing a whole package deal that comes with featured articles and guaranteed updates for the life of the video ad, adjacent banner, and and even a matching the sites colors to the advertising companies...sort of "themeing" the blog after the sponsor....available in week long packages or more.

It wouldn't interfere with my daily posts and updates (since those are non paid) and I could throw in the blogs Twitter and My Space Page as well.

I think something like this would work for like new releases, and major festivals and such. I got the idea here in Vegas...the hotels on the strip will wrap the whole building in a logo or banner during a convention.

Something like that would be much more effective than regular placement, I think.

Just bouncing around some ideas.

orion_joel
03-23-2009, 02:51 AM
This could work well for you, it is more really putting the sponsor in the spotlight sort of thing. So potentially for the right sponsor you could do much better.I think you may be better going for a flat rate package, rather then a $x per views or something similar. You will probably come out better off in the long run, and at least know exactly what you will get for one fixed period.

Harold Mansfield
03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
This could work well for you, it is more really putting the sponsor in the spotlight sort of thing. So potentially for the right sponsor you could do much better.I think you may be better going for a flat rate package, rather then a $x per views or something similar. You will probably come out better off in the long run, and at least know exactly what you will get for one fixed period.

That is what I was thinking..a flat rate. I wasn't too sure if that was being done, but I figured it made since for a targeted niche..and this one is almost laser sighted.

Judging by the feed back that I get from my press contacts, everyone wants to be in the scroller..I am hoping to play on that, now that I have a 648x300 video spot, dead center.

Harold Mansfield
04-03-2009, 09:18 PM
A little update..after over a week of making modifications and updates, I have decided that I just don't feel comfortable with the way the site looks and it's time for a new look.

It's just not professional enough for me.

I just don't feel like it is everything it can be for advertisers, or the artists, DJ's and events that I am promoting, so I decided to do a redesign (new template and modifications), and then tackle private advertising with the new look.

Should be done by Thu, I'll keep you posted.

janicejan
04-06-2009, 12:20 AM
I read the conversation and I think you made the right choice for choosing click per month payment, good luck with your new task and ventures.. if you really had lots of traffic and you know that the niche of the advertisement is interesting CPM is the right choice but if isn't it wont work out.