PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Review on My New Website, Thanks Everyone!

londonmoon
08-31-2014, 07:20 PM
My website's banner logo have been redesigned however my concern is the content. Do you think it's a good idea to structure or create the content in a way that it resembles the feeling of an E-book? Tell me what you think. Any suggestions or feedback would be very much embraced, thanks in advance friends. Here is my site:

-> How to Start a Blog (http://www.howtostartablog.cc/) <-

Nostromov
09-11-2014, 09:47 PM
A few things that eye noticed, on first glance; right off-the-bat:

Deliberate, or not?.. Your CONTACT page has the email addy misspelled (incomplete); howtostartablog.cc/contact-me/ (Edit: Not the best idea to list it, anyway. :))
Then, there doesn't seem to be any spam-protection (for comments)?.. One way to do this, is to use the built-in function/thingy; where you WILL need an Akismet key. Plugin, akismet.com/wordpress/ (used to be free, now, not sure)
Your URL is from a free offer? If you do not have *full* access to the Domain controls and/or something like the cPanel, you could be missing-out on some advanced/important functions in the future; including, but not limited to CNAME 4 email (forwarding and such), SSL certificates (for online sales), example: namecheap.com/security/ssl-certificates/comodo.aspx
Hm, tryin' to think - what else; but, since thread editing time seems to be limited on the forums.. Not sure that I'll be able to come back to it and add more.
The Better WordPress Minify plugin seems a little random (was it the best choice?); because it's listed as: Compatible up to: 3.9.2 (It's, always, a juggling-act between -actually- HAVING the plugins and keeping them functional; IMO, less is more - when it comes to CMS)
^^ There are many different ways to compress and accelerate; However, this isn't always needed! =)

Edit: Your footer says: "Inspired by Howtostartablog.cc", but it's the address of your site; is that strange?.. Also, the theme could be better; Hehe. ;-$

(Oh - and you seem to have removed and/or not added all of the functionality, like the Widgets and things.. The Archive, Categories and all that.)

P.S.
What's interesting is that, for example @ howtostartablog.cc/best-wordpress-plugins/ you seem to be using your own text (not copied from anywhere?!), "There are thousands of webmasters out there who sees your blog as a targeting spot for dropping their links by using alluring tactics", which is pretty cool! (& you DO talk about Akismet, hm.)

Do you think it's a good idea to structure or create the content in a way that it resembles the feeling of an E-book?
It seems to be good, so far!.. Because, looking at the Print Preview - using Firefox - it werx, the format! =)

DailyFitness4u
09-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Just had a quick look at your site and spotted a couple of things that need attention. First you really need to pay attention to good English grammer within your writing. I know when I write articles for my site, I have to get others to read it through and check it for me because it is hard to spot mistakes in your own writing and just glancing through your site I spotted quite a few.

Also in the section about your vision you say you have completed 10 websites in the last 8 years. I assume that is a mistake. If it isn't, then I wouldnt advertise that number because that wouldn't in my opinion be enough to make you an expert, and that could put people off.

How effective this kind of site is today I cannot say. I'm sure others here could give more informed comment. For me personally I think the page layout generally looks good and is easy to navigate and read.

I hope thats helpful.

Harold Mansfield
09-24-2014, 08:05 AM
I'll just give my 2 cents. A million people have started a "How to Start a Blog", "How to make money online" website over the years. I guess my question is what is your goal with this website? What makes yours different from the last million?

In it's current state the site doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that you are the expert on this. It doesn't stand out either with content or design.

Seems like you are going for the e-book feel, so why not just write an ebook?

will.i.earn
10-09-2014, 05:56 AM
If you need help with grammar, here's a free tool that can catch a lot more errors than word processors ---> Hemingway (http://www.hemingwayapp.com/)

Blessed
10-09-2014, 05:11 PM
If you need help with grammar, here's a free tool that can catch a lot more errors than word processors ---> Hemingway (http://www.hemingwayapp.com/)

That's a neat website - I tend to write professionally at an 8th grade or higher readability level. Since I'm teaching 1st-4th graders, and writing things out for them too, it helps to see what an unbiased read-through picks-up on as far as sentence complexity and over-use of adverbs, passive voice and etc...

Thanks for the link!

Alvin
10-10-2014, 10:26 AM
My website's banner logo have been redesigned however my concern is the content. Do you think it's a good idea to structure or create the content in a way that it resembles the feeling of an E-book? Tell me what you think. Any suggestions or feedback would be very much embraced, thanks in advance friends. Here is my site:

-> How to Start a Blog (http://www.howtostartablog.cc/) <-

I don't think it's a good idea to make it look like an E-book, rather write an E-book itself. Otherwise keep it blogging-way.
Your content is good but you just need to correct a few grammar.
Good luck!

will.i.earn
10-11-2014, 01:38 AM
sentence complexity and over-use of adverbs, passive voice and etc...

I agree. No matter how long you've been writing, it's very easy to miss these kind of hits. Familiarity even gets in the way sometimes. And if you're not careful, having too many complex sentences can mean a huge drop in your readership.

Oh and you're welcome!

singhabhishek251
10-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I think that a lot can be done for your website and I do not see anything except plain text and plain design. You can make it more attractive and colorful for your visitor to look it pleasant.

shrinkme
10-14-2014, 09:14 PM
I kind of like ProBlogger.net (http://problogger.net). Check it out.

Design a little off balance. I have no attention span so I got bored easily.

You know, I probably have the same kinds of problems with my blog.