PDA

View Full Version : Does Houshold Surge Protection Work?

billbenson
08-30-2014, 05:35 PM
I live in the Tampa Bay area. They claim to be the lightning capital of the world. I don't know if that's true, but we get a lot of lightning.

The local power company (Florida Power and Light -FPL) has been pitching whole house surge protection. I can see it protecting surges in electricity, but that is nominal compared to what could come in via my cable tv / internet connection.

I have UPS's on all my electronics.

Does anybody have any opinion on the service provided by the power company?

Freelancier
08-30-2014, 09:46 PM
How are they charging you for it... one time install or monthly? And do they also cover all the other wires coming into the home as well?

billbenson
08-30-2014, 09:52 PM
How are they charging you for it... one time install or monthly? And do they also cover all the other wires coming into the home as well?

I haven't investigated it that far. I'll call them next week and give an update. Problem is the utility companies here put you on hold for 30 min and then hang up. It usually takes several itirations of this to talk to someone.

Freelancier
08-30-2014, 10:03 PM
SurgeShield | FPL Energy Services (http://www.fplenergyservices.com/residential/surgeshield.shtml)

$10.95/month for only the main power line. They charge more for devices to cover the rest. Might want to talk with an electrician to see what you can get that way.

MyITGuy
08-31-2014, 01:48 PM
I view it as another layer of protection, and an important one as it covers the high end electronics/motors no one tends to think of (HVAC, Washing Machines, Dryers, Refrigerators, Hot Water Heaters and etc)

You can either use the option provided by FPL which installs at the meter and you pay a monthly fee for. This device protects up to 57K amps and includes a warranty up to 5K per damaged/destroyed device

Or you can consult with an electrician to have one installed for around $300 or less (And would need to pay for replacement if/when it fails)...but you would need to work with the electrician to ensure that the device meets your needs (amps/joules/clamping amps/device warranty and etc).

billbenson
08-31-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks Jeff. That's the answer I was looking for.