PDA

View Full Version : Competitors keywords

Aaron Hats
03-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Has anybody used a service that let's you know about your competitors keywords and PPC ads?

Thanks.

vangogh
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
One that often comes highly recommended is Spyfu (http://spyfu.com/). I don't use it all that much, but I have in the past. If the ad buy of your competitors is not much I don't know that you'll get a lot of results back.

bizcard
03-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Knowing your competitors keyword is easy, but for PPC ads.. not sure.

Aaron Hats
03-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I checked out SpyFu and looked up my own site. Unfortunately, the stats they gave weren't accurate. I've done some searching but can't find any real user comments on sites like adgooroo.com, keywordspy.com and ispionage.com. Maybe that's a sign that they're legit if there aren't a bunch of people bashing them.

vangogh
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
The sites you mentioned are legit. I think the problem in accuracy is because of what they're trying to measure. It's not such public data to be easy to collect. Also it depends on traffic levels or your level of involvement with ppc. The more you spend and get the more accurate.

The organic keywords seemed fairly accurate to me on SpyFu for the sites I've checked.

billbenson
03-20-2009, 03:07 PM
What I do is reverse engineer competitors sites. Start with some known keywords and do a search. That should bring up competitive sites. Go to the source and see what they are optimized for. Sometimes they will have a laundry list of meta keywords, otherwise look for other keywords on the page in places such as heading tags, in bold in text or repeated in the text.

If you have a family of products do the above for all the product pages you want to optimize for. If you find keywords that you hadn't thought of, do a G search for that keyword and see what comes up in the adwords results. This is also good for natural SERPS as well.

In a few hours you can figure out the best keywords your competition is using. The worst ones don't matter. Make sure you look at the keywords for different pages that crop up for different searches on the same competitors site as well.

If you do the above and start a ppc campaign around them, wait a month and look at your stats. You will probably have a bunch of new keywords in your stats as well.

Harold Mansfield
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Firefox has a free plug in called SEM Rush. Basically it tells you the keywords of the ad, cost per click, rank for each keyword and so on.

If nothing else it arms you with a little more info on addition words or phrases that you hadn't considered, and if you need to see what someone is paying if you are thinking about out bidding them.

KristineS
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I was going to recommend something very similar to what billbenson said. I've done that exact procedure in the past and it's brought some very interesting keywords to light.

janicejan
04-06-2009, 04:30 AM
I'm also interested to hear the answers of other people as well, by the way sem rush seems to be a good tool indeed.