PDA

View Full Version : Improve Your Call-To-Action Buttons

vangogh
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
UX Booth has a good post on call-to-action buttons (http://www.uxbooth.com/blog/good-call-to-action-buttons/) with examples of good and bad.

Here are some headlines from the post to whet your appetite:

1. Choosing your words carefully
2. Positioning
3. Use of color
4. Size
5. Avoid overkill-to-action

What difference does it make? After testing some seemingly subtle changes Laura Ashely discovered pages from their new shopping cart

enjoyed 11% more clickthroughs to the checkout page than the company’s original basket page.

Small things can make a big difference when it comes to calls-to-action.

Any tips you can offer for increasing clickthroughs on buttons?

Patrysha
03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
The article pretty much covered the basics...once you've got the foundations the only way to know what is going to work with your customers is to test, test and test some more.

Personally, I love Clicktale for trying to figure out where people are getting bunged up on my sites and my client sites, but it takes me much longer to make changes than I wish it would. (So many tasks, so little time!)

vangogh
03-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Agreed. It's going to come down to testing. We can all guess what might work, but the only way to know is to test to see what really does work.

I've never used Clicktale. Do you like it for the stats in general or more the click tracking? Is there something particular about it that makes you recommend it?

KristineS
03-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Good article, and it does indeed cover the basics really well.

It's amazing how much goes into making a successful web site. I'd guess most people don't even consider half of the things they should when they start thinking about design.

Patrysha
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I like Clicktale because it shows me "video" footage of how visitors interact with the site. They've got heatmap type stuff too, but I haven't dug into that yet because I'm still behind on changes just from the video information...

vangogh
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Cool about the 'video' footage. Sounds like an interesting way to keep tabs on what's going on. Heatmap info can be good depending on the page. I've run it on the home page of my blog and it's not very useful there since the content changes so frequently. On a page where the content is mostly static it can give you a very good picture of where people are clicking.

Jagella
03-21-2009, 11:13 PM
The article pretty much covered the basics...once you've got the foundations the only way to know what is going to work with your customers is to test, test and test some more.

This is what I like to hear: Objective, scientific thought applied to design. It sure beats asking for opinions.

Jagella

seolman
03-21-2009, 11:58 PM
What a great article. Thanks for sharing that Steve. It's made me really think about a few design ideas for some projects I'm working on.

vangogh
03-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Glad to post the article. I figured it might help a few people.

Patrysha
03-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Opinions are great for guiding design if you ask the right people for their opinions...but you still have to test.

vangogh
03-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Testing is always important. I think the ideas in the article are pretty basic and for the most part have stood up to testing in general. Of course you should be testing specifically on your site since what works for one may not work for another.

It's also a good place for people to start. There's no reason why you can't take the wisdom and opinions of others as a starting point and then tweak and test things.