PDA

View Full Version : i have a buddy

greenoak
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
ihave a buddy who has started a new business and is booked up....as busy as he wants to be and making good money on the side....he has picked a perfect business that fits him and his location like a glove....he has kids and is really into sports....hes very civic minded and volunteers all over town....he works for the electric company and is real mechanical...
.whats the business? he rents out a big moonwalk thingy....its big and fun and fits into all kinds of parties, school events, scout events, little league events.. celebrations of all kinds....
i found his whole story very uplifting....hes made something happen that isnt that easy to do...imho, its about the great quality of his idea and how well he knows his marketplace and its needs...and he had the money to do it right... just guessing but i doubt if he has done much marketing im pretty sure its just word of mouth.....:)
ann

Patrysha
03-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Good word of mouth is seldom an accident...great customer service, the right product at the right price, effective follow up...it's all part of the marketing mix!

Marketing doesn't have to cost money to be effective. But adding money to the mix can usually bring quicker results.

vangogh
03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Congrats to your friend Ann. I agree with Patrysha that good word of mouth is seldom an accident. You do have to work hard and getting people to spread the word and recommend you. And it's true, money helps in marketing, but you don't have to spend a lot to market your business well. Usually though less money means more time.

Good for your friend. It shows that even with the economy the way it is you can still build a business and do well.

greenoak
03-19-2009, 07:09 PM
defintely i agree with you both on the value of marketing, .and count word of mouth as the best kind.
........but the much bigger thing in my eyes was the quality of his actual idea.......people reallly want what hes got...his market research/knowledge of his area was right on the mark.......and now its a good income on the side... ..i dont think he spent money on marketing but he does have a big new trailer to haul the big new moonwalk thing....so he did invest.
im looking for an idea that hits my situation as well...
ann

vangogh
03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
His success shows the power of market research. If you can figure out what people want and would be willing to pay for and then you provide it for them you have a very good chance of being successful.

KristineS
03-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Market research is so key and yet it's something a lot of business people neglect. You can have the best idea in the world but if people don't want what you're offering it doesn't matter. There has to be a market, or you have to be able to create a market, before a product can be successful.

huggytree
03-20-2009, 07:52 PM
ive been to many kids parties with those bouncy tents..very popular!

there is a new indoor inflatable park in my area. they have 3 large inflatable slides and a few castles and 2 bouncy tents...all in a strip mall.

they serve pizza. they have 3 party rooms. they have chucke cheese type video games with tolkens and tickets..
one person with a whistle at each inflatable to guard it...wrist bands w/ #'s and a guard at the door to check them..$10 per kid...i went on a Sat. this winter and there must have been 100+ kids there.

the place is packed..its in a busy area where there's above average income.

maybe your friend should look into this idea too?

there are many indoor play area's like this now for kids...one just has kids bikes and a large playset...same thing in a strip mall....all the mom's talk about them and give free referals

Steve B
03-20-2009, 08:44 PM
The only problem with that business is the low barrier to entry. It pretty much takes zero skill and very little investment - so competition will likely enter the market and keep the price and profits very low. It's a great business if you are the first and only in the area.

greenoak
03-22-2009, 05:33 PM
thats probably right about the easy entry..and this guy has all the good connections ....and hes first in the area..its just neat to see something work out so well....when lots of us are banging our heads against the wall trying to find a good thing, a thing people would be clamoring for.........ann