PDA

View Full Version : Questions around why you started your business and alternate revenue streams

DaZTL
08-18-2014, 06:00 AM
1. What led you into setting up the business you have now? Was it originally developed from an interest or skill you had, or some other reason?

2. Away from the business, do you have any other skills or interests?

3. Imagine if there was a way to generate additional revenue for your business or yourself using other skills or interests you may have that are separate to your business.

a) Have you thought about this? Does it ever cross your mind? Do you think about it often?

b) Have you done this, if so what else have you tried? What worked and for how long?

c) If you have thought about it but never tried it, what would you say are the reasons preventing you? What’s so hard about it? Which parts? Why?

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2014, 10:33 AM
1. What led you into setting up the business you have now? Was it originally developed from an interest or skill you had, or some other reason?
It was originally developed from an interest I had. I needed to learn how to run my own music blog as a hobby. One thing kept leading to another.

2. Away from the business, do you have any other skills or interests?
A few and I generally incorporate them into other projects.

3. Imagine if there was a way to generate additional revenue for your business or yourself using other skills or interests you may have that are separate to your business.
I don't have to imagine, there's always a way for any business owner to develop additional revenue streams. What they need to be careful of is jumping on fly by night ideas, instead of developing strategies based on talents they already have.

a) Have you thought about this? Does it ever cross your mind? Do you think about it often?
Everyone thinks about it. I don't know any American that doesn't think about making more money.

b) Have you done this, if so what else have you tried? What worked and for how long?
I'm continuously working on increasing revenue. Most projects generally center around some type of website.

c) If you have thought about it but never tried it, what would you say are the reasons preventing you? What’s so hard about it? Which parts? Why?
Everything about making money online is hard. Everything about running your own business is hard. If you're already working for yourself, it's not much of a leap to invest in a new project for additional income.

TTS
10-23-2014, 06:20 AM
I came to mine based on my skills and previous experience. During my decision making process I had several business ideas that I feel could all be successful if I put the same effort into planning and building it. The reason I chose landscaping in the end has to do with what I'm looking to get out of the business in the end. My other ideas were building high end furniture which I continue to do as a hobby however the business is not scalable to my growth goals. My other idea was a trucking company which I did for several years however with the current market and government involvement it doesn't provide a great return on investment and it would detract from my life with my young family much more than my other options. Overall I looked at all facets of the choices and picked the one that best fit my life goals.

I always consider ways of adding additional revenue streams both through my current business and through other investment opportunities. We are constantly updating our services which is really easy once the business is running. The hard part is picking what product or service you will use to enter the market. After that just listen to what your customers want and if you can make the numbers work add it