PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Company Formation

Zxx
08-15-2014, 06:55 AM
When forming a company I have seen most places require passport/id of the applicant.

Is it possible to use a entity(another company, corporation, etc) to form a company?
If not, then how can you form a company anonymously as you are providing your name/address/photo/d.o.b etc?

Apparently it is possible to do, can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Freelancier
08-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Yes, you can create an entity that is a holding company for another entity which is a holding company of another entity... and so on, but eventually unless one of the countries where a holding company is registered is a country where anonymity is guaranteed (which is almost no country now), you're going to be found out if a government wants to find out badly enough. All the convoluted structure does is slow someone down from finding out who you are.

Another way is to make your attorney the only person on all the public company paperwork, since attorney-client privilege comes into play then... but (again) if a government wants to find out badly enough, it's just a break-in away from finding out who the attorney is working for.

I really gotta stop watching "Person of Interest"...

Zxx
08-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Firstly, if that is the case, when most bodies ask for passport/id, I assume I must tell them at this point the applicant is an entity and not a person?
I ask because I have not seen formation bodies explicitly provide a "entity" option upon registration.

Secondly, if your attorney is the only person would this not also give them the power to do whatever with the company? (a great deal of trust)

Thanks in advance.

Freelancier
08-15-2014, 07:59 AM
I created an LLC here with no ID or any identifying documents. I'm pretty sure I can do the same with corporations. I also created a Florida LLC (not my home state) with no ID, but I had to have a "local agent" for accepting documents. I did put my name on the registration, but could have just as easily listed another company instead. But the application will also want a registered officer or member and that's where you'd put an attorney if you wanted to keep it quiet.

As for whether you are giving the attorney all the "power" by doing this... I wouldn't think so if you have an agreement with the attorney as to the extent of their power over the organization. That's where you really want to talk with an attorney and see if there's a way to do what you want to do. You're being vague, so all I can assume is that what you want to do with the company would either be personally embarrassing or illegal, so it's better if you dotted your "i" and cross your "t" and get an attorney to help you navigate your way.

Zxx
08-15-2014, 08:55 AM
I created an LLC here
Where is here? The US? Did you apply in person at an office or via post/email etc?

I also created a Florida LLC (not my home state) with no ID, but I had to have a "local agent" for accepting documents
Was the local agent required so you could use their address as your company address(for post)?

But the application will also want a registered officer or member and that's where you'd put an attorney if you wanted to keep it quiet.
Does the registered officer/member have duties/powers? (I will research this myself but interested in your knowledge)

I noticed from these two formations you mentioned that they were both established LLC, do you think these non-id requirements/entity-applicants rules are the same/very similar for Private Companies?

As for the attorney advice, I am going to do what you suggested and contact some.

Thanks

Freelancier
08-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Where is here? The US? Did you apply in person at an office or via post/email etc?
Yes, the US. I applied and paid over the internet and the necessary documents were then available for download. Took about 15 minutes.

Was the local agent required so you could use their address as your company address(for post)?
Corporations and LLCs are state-regulated fictions in the USA, so you need an address and "agent" (someone) local to the state where you register for the purpose of receiving mail and legal documents.

Does the registered officer/member have duties/powers?
At the very least, they have to have the power to create the entity, right? Beyond that, there's nothing I remember in the paperwork you file to indicate what the officer/member is permitted to do on behalf of the company.

I noticed from these two formations you mentioned that they were both established LLC, do you think these non-id requirements/entity-applicants rules are the same/very similar for Private Companies?
In my location, a company exists because you say it does here. You don't have to file with the state for a company unless you want one of the state-regulated entities that provides some kind of liability protection.

Best to talk with an attorney where you are to get the right information for your location.

Zxx
08-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Sent you a PM