PDA

View Full Version : Multi-point portable speakers

Freelancier
08-10-2014, 10:35 AM
We had a party a few days ago out in our cul-de-sac and we didn't have any music for it... no one had a portable sound system they wanted to set up, so it got me thinking about getting a portable speaker setup that would connect to my (android) phone. And I wanted a setup with, say, four speakers, so that we didn't have to blast the music on one side of the road so that people on the opposite side of the road could hear it. I also want to be able to take one or two of the speakers out to the pool on the weekend so that I can play music there as well. So it has to be completely wireless and battery powered.

Bluetooth is point-to-point, so most portable speakers limit you to one speaker with that configuration, which rules most of those out. I came across HiddenRadio2, which seems to do what I want, but can't find any reviews.

Anyone have any insights or buying advice to share about portable speakers?

MyITGuy
08-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Looks like it was a kickstarter that was just funded earlier this year...so its unlikely anyone has one in-hand to review. Additionally, it looks like it may not be ideal for outdoor use based on the size of the speaker(s).

You might look for something like Amazon.com: Bluetooth 6.50" Indoor/Outdoor Weatherproof Patio Speakers (Black- pair)- BlueVIBE by Sound Appeal: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Weatherproof-Speakers-Sound-Appeal/dp/B00C3ZTK9M/ref=pd_cp_e_1)

Freelancier
08-10-2014, 11:52 AM
You might look for something like Amazon.com: Bluetooth 6.50" Indoor/Outdoor Weatherproof Patio Speakers (Black- pair)- BlueVIBE by Sound Appeal: Electronics

From their description: One speaker gets plugged into a 110v outlet , then one wire connects the Master speaker to the slave speaker.

I want all the speakers to be completely wire-free except when I have to recharge them. I also only intend to use them outdoors periodically, they'll sit inside when I'm not using them. I don't intend to mount these speakers anywhere outside. And, I like the idea of the possibility of having 4 or more of them on the same audio source, which this option doesn't have.

HiddenRadio has been around a few years, what you're seeing is the kickstarter campaign from earlier in the year, the product was updated in June, I don't think any of the audio magazines have gotten around to reviewing the new versions yet. But I was also hoping there was an alternative for wireless multi-point speakers.

MyITGuy
08-10-2014, 12:06 PM
From their description: One speaker gets plugged into a 110v outlet , then one wire connects the Master speaker to the slave speaker.

I want all the speakers to be completely wire-free except when I have to recharge them. I also only intend to use them outdoors periodically, they'll sit inside when I'm not using them. I don't intend to mount these speakers anywhere outside. And, I like the idea of the possibility of having 4 or more of them on the same audio source, which this option doesn't have.
My apologies, I only did a quick scan of the description and didn't see any mention of wires.

HiddenRadio has been around a few years, what you're seeing is the kickstarter campaign from earlier in the year, the product was updated in June, I don't think any of the audio magazines have gotten around to reviewing the new versions yet. But I was also hoping there was an alternative for wireless multi-point speakers.

The ETA for delivery was for June, however on their updates page it looks like they are still in development/prototypes. I'd say they are still 2-3 months out at least.

It's only 1 speaker, but maybe something like this placed in the center of the cul de sac http://www.brookstone.com/big-blue-party-indoor-outdoor-bluetooth-speaker?bkiid=World_Landing_Page_Electronics_Bluet ooth_Speakers|CategoryWidget|849504p&catId=

Freelancier
08-10-2014, 12:25 PM
I see that now about delivery in September. So maybe I'm asking too early. I also found the Nepsu M1 coming in the Fall. My timeframe is Christmas, I think, so the Fall is ok for these. And I really do want a multi-point speaker system, not just one speaker, so that I can spread the music to multiple places around my house or around the yard or whatever. I was looking at the Sonos, but it wants AC power at all stations AND to get multi-point you have to have a WiFi hub nearby and an internet connection, which seems less than portable.