PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Virtual Assistant

ndlandis
03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Hello everybody!

I am a mother of three with administrative experience. I am starting a virtual assistant practice from my home. I'm getting close to ready to launch (I hope!) I'm looking forward to the business advice I'll gain here! It's always nice to find people to relate to, especially when venturing into new territory. Can't wait to get started!

Norma
Quest Virtual Assistant Services

nighthawk
03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
welcome to the forums ndlandis!

What exactly is a virtual assistant? Is it just an assistant who works for clients over the internet? What kind of services can you perform?

I always associate the term virtual with something that is not real or simulated, "virtual assistant" just has negative tones in my eyes. "Clippy", that annoying paper clip in Office, would be what spings to mind when you say virtual assistant.

Anyway, I wish you every success in your new business!

vangogh
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Norma. We have a couple of virtual assistants who drop by from time to time so know you're in good company. We'll be happy to help in any way we can.

an assistant who works for clients over the internet? What kind of services can you perform?

Yes, but it's more professional than you may realize. The services a virtual assistant offer can vary depending on the person, but some typical services are editing and proofreading, transcription, customer service, etc.

Imagine you're in an office and you have an assistant. Think of all the things that person can do that doesn't require them physically being present in the office. All those things could be VA services. The VA gets to work from home (or wherever they prefer) and can work for as many clients as they want. The companies save on the overhead, insurance, etc of having someone physically in the office.

Thanks for joining the community Norma.

cbscreative
03-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Speaking of VA's, it has been a while since Karen has posted. She's one of the other members vangogh was referring to. Welcome aboard, Norma. I trust you will find the resources and knowledge of members here to be quite valuable as you build your business.

VirtualLorri
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Congratulations on your new business venture, Norma. Please be in touch if I can answer any questions for you as you get started.

Gavin, Vangogh's explanation is accurate. Virtual Assistants, also known as VAs, provide a variety of administrative support functions without having to be physically present in the client's office. I encourage you to visit AssistU: Virtual Assistance information and referrals, and Virtual Assistants training. (http://www.AssistU.com) to learn more.

Warmly,

Lorri

KristineS
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi Norma. Welcome to the forum.

agape731
03-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Another great place to learn more about virtual assistants, either finding one or becoming one, go to VAnetworking (http://www.VAnetworking.com)

KarenB
05-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Hello Norma and welcome!

Sorry it took so long for me to say hello to a fellow VA...things have been crazy for the last couple of months.

You couldn't ask for a better group of savvy folks here to give you invaluable support and advice.

Congrats on your new biz!

Karen

coachgary
05-17-2009, 03:49 PM
A Big Texas Welcome

Mozzy
05-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Welcome Norma! Definitely keep us posted on your VA updates.