PDA

View Full Version : Billing etiquette

cocoy
03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I generally email the bill, since the final product is also emailed, and the customer sends back a check via mail.

Do I need to send back something saying the bill is paid in full? Or just let it be and let the canceled check will be the customer's "receipt"?

vangogh
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I have the same setup with some clients. Usually I send them a quick email thanking them for the check and letting them know it arrived. Most of my clients don't need a confirmation of payment receipt, but I'll send one if they do. Some of my clients want an invoice before sending the check so they get invoices. Some don't need one so I don't send it though I still create the invoice for my records.

It's probably a good idea to get some kind of billing program. There should be some free ones out there or some low cost ones. Even if you don't need to send invoices and receipts it still makes you look more professional when you send them and for the few clients who want them you'll be prepared.

huggytree
03-16-2009, 09:01 PM
if they pay me on the spot i write paid in full on their invoice

i dont see a reason to send a reciept...no one else does...if you want to thank them for their payment it may be a business decision to make you 'different' but its not necessary..i dont think ive ever gotten a 'paid in full' reciept in the mail

cocoy
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah the email I send them is a pdf scan of the invoice hardcopy that I keep for record. So it is an actual invoice they can print out, not just an email message.

KristineS
03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't see why you'd need to confirm the bill has been paid. I think most people would just get an invoice, send payment and conclude that was it.

If someone needs a paid in full notice, I'm guessing they would ask for it.

vangogh
03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
That's probably enough then. There might be some companies that will need to receipt, but most probably won't. With many of my clients I do let them know the check arrived in a quick email, but usually we're emailing anyway so it's easy to drop a line into an email I'm already writing about. I think the personal touch helps build better relationships with clients, but I wouldn't say it's necessary to send the receipt.

Blessed
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
I email a PDF of the invoice and then depending on the client I send or don't send a follow-up email when the check arrives thanking them.

It works really well for me!