PDA

View Full Version : Zoning Laws Double Check

KingHippo
08-10-2008, 10:41 PM
If your entire business is the following:

1) One or more web / online storefronts
2) Absolutely no "bricks and mortar" storefront
3) You work on the business from home but no customers need to walk in etc.
4) You use UPS Store / Mailboxes Etc. / P.O. Box in commercial zone for the business' address

Will I run into zoning problems if I'm using physical address in a commercial zone but do business work from the home? (I'm basically giving myself permission to work from home.)

orion_joel
08-11-2008, 01:50 AM
This can be something that comes down to particular local government by-laws and such.

For example where i live in Australia you can run a business from home without any problems, however if you have more then 2 deliveries by couiers per day, are making additional noise or such you need to register the business with the council and go through the process of it being ok with the council.

Usually information like this should be able to be found on local government websites and such so you do not need to go through asking in person and getting asked to many questions.

Steve B
08-11-2008, 05:54 AM
I can't imagine how. Zoning to me deals with the physical use of a structure or property. The only thing "physical" that is going on is happening when your packages are delivered to the UPS Store. That is the concern of the UPS Store - not yours.

Evan
08-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I haven't encountered any issue with companies using their home address as their business address -- regardless of the zoning of that area. As Steve B noted, it really deals with what you have on your property. So if you now have a parking lot instead of a driveway and are putting up signs advertising your business at that address, then you have some explaining to do.

Evan
08-11-2008, 05:40 PM
4) You use UPS Store / Mailboxes Etc. / P.O. Box in commercial zone for the business' address

States often do not allow PO Boxes. You could use a UPS Mailbox but that is still unnecessary.

The state usually sends official documents to whomever is listed as the Registered Agent of the company, not to the physical business itself. So should you get sued and a sheriff was to hand-deliver a subpoena or other legal document, they'd go to your Registered Agent. In a business with actual customers at the physical company, it is often better to list an attorney for that matter.