PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my job

Jrh
08-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Hi just looking for some advice.
I've been in my current job for six years and have been unhappy for some time. My main issues are pay and lack of opportunities.
I'm paid far less than average for the trade and region I'm in and have been on a pay freeze for three years.
I've spoken to my boss many times and still nothing has changed.
I'm now at a point I've had enough and am ready to leave.
Two other workers have left with in the last two months due to similar reasons, both with no notice or warning. Leaving only myself, my boss and the labourer.
My question is, should I inform my boss I'm job hunting or just wait until I find a job and hand in my notice?

billbenson
08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Don't show your hand. Look for a job but don't tell anybody. They already know you are a short timer. But be professional if you can and give 2 weeks notice. Any decent new employer will respect your ethics in doing that.

zachariahlogan
08-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Billbenson has a point, just because your co-workers burned their bridges, doesn't mean you are obligated too as well.

Though... About this lack of pay, now. I have no idea, who you are or what you do. But you said you are looking for advise.
If I were you... You should keep job hunting- in the same field, doing the same thing. Get a Job offer from a competing company, then take that letter to your boss, and give him an altimatem. Either match this pay, or this is my two weeks notice.

That's not rude, it's just business.

Of course, something like that would work, really if you enjoyed your job, it would be MAD to be looking for a job you hate.

What do you do for a living?

Harold Mansfield
08-02-2014, 05:14 PM
My question is, should I inform my boss I'm job hunting or just wait until I find a job and hand in my notice?

No. In today's environment informing them ahead of time may result in them letting you go before you're ready to leave. It's not as honorable as it used to be out there.
Seems to me if 2 people left that the money that they aren't spending on their salaries could go to you. Especially since you're probably doing more work now.

I wouldn't even give 2 weeks. Maybe a week. It doesn't sound like this company will last long anyway.

Brian Altenhofel
08-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Wait until you find something and then give them notice. The professional courtesy is a pay period which is typically two weeks.

Some employers will actually give you the boot the minute you hand in your notice, but pay you for the remainder of the time as "administrative leave". That's normally done in consulting industries, though.

Fulcrum
08-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Some employers will actually give you the boot the minute you hand in your notice, but pay you for the remainder of the time as "administrative leave". That's normally done in consulting industries, though.

I've had the exact opposite. My boss wanted me to stay on for another 2-3 months so I could train my replacement. (Un)fortunately I had already committed to a start date with a new place so I couldn't stay on.

As to the OP, keep what you are doing quiet with your current employer while you are looking for a new job. Once a new one has been lined up, be courteous and give the 2 weeks.

Freelancier
08-02-2014, 11:12 PM
If a company wants to cut costs, you think they'll warn you they're thinking about terminating you? Not a chance. And you don't have to tell them as well until after you're ready to leave. Everything else is just creating unnecessary drama. Better to do your interviews, get your offer and then let them know you're on your way out the door with 2 weeks notice. If they want more time than that, they need to give you some serious money to do that, otherwise, it's 2 weeks and out.

billbenson
08-02-2014, 11:27 PM
In either case, if the new company demands that you start immediately, they are acting unprofessionally unless they really have their back up against a wall and have no choices. I would ask them for the two weeks before you start. If they say no, it tells you something about your new employer as well.

As you can see from the above responses its kind of a 'depends' thing with regard to your current employer. You haven't told us what you do for a living, so we are kind of guessing here. It depends on what type of industry you are in.

ActionMan
08-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Look for another job without mentioning a word to your boss or anyone at your current company. Give them 2 weeks notice as others have mentioned and then leave. Don't make a production out of it.

Also, I would not take any offer letter you receive and ask your current company to match the pay. They will always hold that against you and you will be the first one to be let go when the opportunity arises.

In the meantime, while you're looking for a new job, you may want to visit this site. It has some very good info on job hunting, interviewing and how to approach your boss for a raise.
How to get a raise — including the exact words to use : Dream Job (http://privatelist.findyourdreamjob.com/how-to-get-a-raise-including-the-exact-words-to-use/)

Good luck!

Jrh
08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the replies! I know the general opinion is to not tell my boss I'm job hunting but I have requested a talk with my boss this week to discuss my issues. I am well aware that nothing will change. Would it be worth asking him in the meeting for a reference? He knows I'm ready to leave so it won't be a shock to him. Also has he got any rights to sack me on the spot for job hunting? Surely unless I state I am leaving he can't touch me? Thanks

Freelancier
08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Depends on the state you're in. Some states are "right to work" states, and in those the boss can fire you for no particular reason and you're unemployed right then. In others, there may be rules in place to prevent that. If you aren't sure, assume it's the former as you go forward.

bjay99
08-06-2014, 09:20 AM
I was a recruiter for 4 years, and I saw this a lot..... if you do this, your current company will most likely match your offer, and you will stay. A year form now, you will be in the same boat feeling that there are no opportunities but now you will feel a little more obliged to stay because they gave you a raise.

NEVER take a counteroffer. Take the offer of the new company and welcome the change of environment.

Good luck!

If I were you... You should keep job hunting- in the same field, doing the same thing. Get a Job offer from a competing company, then take that letter to your boss, and give him an altimatem. Either match this pay, or this is my two weeks notice.

That's not rude, it's just business.